Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm a relatively new member here, so first of all - hello to everyone.

I have a 2008 SR5 Dbl. Cab with about 26k miles. I took my truck into the shop for the pedal fix and also asked them to check out a number of things including the rumble strip issue, radio power/control issue, sinking dash, and growl from the front end. I found the TSB for the front end growl but haven't discussed it with the dealer yet.

They called me late that day and said that they had to order parts to rebuild the front differential. I called back today (5 days later) to check on the status and the advisor told me that the parts (which he said are coming from the factory) are still on backorder and that there is no ETA associated with them yet. He also told me that another Owner has the same issue. He speculated they might be doing a re-design of that system, which is why the parts are on backorder.

Anyone else experienced this or want to school me on the workings of the front differential? I know it allows the front wheels to be driven when in 4WD.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!
I had this very same issue just resolved last week. Basically, they're going to look at the front axles to see if there is scaring on them; if there is, they'll replace both axles and the carrier assembly (the technical ordering term they use for the front differential). If they don't see the scaring on the axles, they may try to replace or lube the affected parts first to see if the problem is due to that.
I went through 3 attempts before I got mine fixed, but the dealership was very helpful and understanding... I think they were just attempting to do the quicker/cheaper fixes first and when it was obvious that it wasn't working, they did what was shown on the TSB.
Basically if your truck was made before June, 2008 you'll probably need the whole carrier assembly and axles replaced as the design has changed since then. If you have an issue afterwards, it could be due to a different problem altogether. Either way, I hope you get it fixed! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...very helpful and its nice to hear that I am not the only one to have this happen. Is there anyway I can use the VIN to tell what month my truck was manufactured? My biggest question is that if this is a relatively "common" fix, why is it taking so long to get the parts in. It's been over a week now and the dealer doesn't even have an ETA on the parts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Welcome! I had my carrier (and one axle) replaced last January. Last month, I noticed that the growl had returned. Since it's not my daily driver, it may have been doing it previously and I just didn't notice it. I took it back and the verdict was since the entire carrier had already been replaced and it was more than a year since the replacement, they would not do it again. It would have to be torn down, diagnosed and repaired under my extended warranty. It's my work truck and I'm about to start hitting the road hard so I wasn't exactly thrilled with that news. My plan is to wait until closer to the expiration of the extended warranty and take it in then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So 4x4 Tundras build after June '08 are having issues with the front diff too? Argh... I have a 2010 4x4 coming my way in a week or so, hoping they have the sinking dash, rumble strip / front diff, etc. etc. sorted out by now. I think my gas pedal will be Denso...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a growl sound to on 2007 SR5 DBL cab with 30 k, The dealer first told me it was my front tires needed rotated, got that done, and still a growl, now they tell me it's the rear axle needs replace, parts came in 5 months later, its going to the shop on Monday 4-4-11, I asked the service tech if he has checked out the TSB on the front axle? No! I told them I hope they are working on the right axle. My concern why is the customer telling them what TSB they need to Check, Toyota needs to be paying us to diagnose the problems for them from what I learn on this forum!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a growl sound to on 2007 SR5 DBL cab with 30 k, The dealer first told me it was my front tires needed rotated, got that done, and still a growl, now they tell me it's the rear axle needs replace, parts came in 5 months later, its going to the shop on Monday 4-4-11, I asked the service tech if he has checked out the TSB on the front axle? No! I told them I hope they are working on the right axle. My concern why is the customer telling them what TSB they need to Check, Toyota needs to be paying us to diagnose the problems for them from what I learn on this forum!
I agree 100%. I've had to alert my dealer to a couple of TSBs that applied to issues with my truck- the front axle thing included. First, (and this is in the front axle TSB), if you engage 4-hi and the noise goes away, it's the front diff. If it is the front diff, tell them not to touch the rear axle. Why create the opportunity for a problem where there is none? Print out the TSB, show it to them and say here are the steps to diagnosing the problem. Now I've already done step one and determined it's the FRONT diff. You guys do what you're supposed to do and fix the thing or I'll go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have an 08' that i picked up a few days ago and could someone explain to me what the "sinking dash" and "rumble strips" mean? thanks and sorry for the thread jack boston tundra.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When you take it in for dealer service, tape a big sign to the rear differential saying, "NOT this one! Fix the one in the front!"

(Just like when people go in for surgery on a limb, for example, and they write on the good limb with a magic marker, "Do not operate here!")

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008 4x4 dbk cb trd
I have recently had my front carrier replaced and the 2 wd drive noises are gone
Now after a month and snow today I hear the same growl in 4wd. Something is going wrong with the front diff.
I am bringing it back in soon

·
Registered
14 Posts
2008 4x4 dbk cb trd
I have recently had my front carrier replaced and the 2 wd drive noises are gone
Now after a month and snow today I hear the same growl in 4wd. Something is going wrong with the front diff.
how many miles on your 08' when you started experiencing this noise? i heard a clunk on mine when i place it in 4wd but that was it. i have 39k on mine and i want the bugs fixed before i hit 60k. thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
2008 4x4 dbk cb trd
My front diff was repaired with the TSB. The replacement was dead on arrival. A few days after the installation I accelerated hard in 4WD, hard enough to make the front end pull. Lots of grinding noises. Took it back to the dealer where they drained the oil. Full of metal shavings + bits. Fixed again free and no problems since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts