Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Tundra Access Cab...just bought one week ago!
Okay, I've done tons of research but just can't narrow the result.

I've got a vibration starting at 30MPH and is not 1/1 rate to tire spin. It's like whooom-whoom every 3/1 rate to tire spin.

When ADD is activated 4wd the noise goes away! In 2wd I did the tape front drive shaft test and the vibration went away immediately.

Bought from dealer! Long story short, they said there was a vibration and that they wrong type oil was in there and changed front diff oil before my test drive...I noticed no vibration. I picked up 1 week later and 2min from lot vibration was apparent.

Did they put heavy weight gear oil in there? Would this cause front drive shaft to spin own it's own? Is the ADD trying to engage or not lined up? Leaky vacuum?

The front drive shaft should not turn when in 2wd...correct?
The dealer had it on a lift and on blocks in drive and sound test everything. They said the noise was coming from the front diff. I've heard that 03 production of the ring gear and pinion where rough and that a new front diff will fix this.

I think step one would be to change front diff oil to AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-
90, GL-5 spec for hypoid gearing. This would eliminate oil type/problem.

Side Bearing? Front Bearing? Rear Bearing? Unbalanced Front drive Shaft?

Please let me the the steps to take to correct this annoying vibration.

Oh ya...this truck does have a 3" lift with 32. The drive shaft angles look fine, u-joints look and feel good...it's in the diff...right? But what inside? I will convert to manual hubs some day.

Thanks for your help...I've wanted a Tundra for years now!!
Cheers!

· Premium Member
383 Posts
The ADD system uses drive flanges on the front wheels which means the front axles turn with the wheels. The axles always turn whether in 2WD or 4WD. When in 4WD the axles are driven by the front diff when the ADD engages. When in 2WD the axles are disconnected from the front diff, but they still turn since they are permanently connected to the front wheels by the drive flange. The only way to change this behavior is to install manual hubs which replaces the drive flanges.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the front axles spinning all the time, it's the front drive shaft that is causing the noise...it's spinning in 2WD. I've zip-ties the front drive shaft and the noise goes away.

So, what is making the front drive shaft spin in 2WD???

Thanks...winter is coming and I would like to go in and out off 4WD!

· Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the front axles spinning all the time, it's the front drive shaft that is causing the noise...it's spinning in 2WD. I've zip-ties the front drive shaft and the noise goes away.

So, what is making the front drive shaft spin in 2WD???

Thanks...winter is coming and I would like to go in and out off 4WD!

I would be very interested to learn what the answer is to this as well.

· Registered
157 Posts
I am curious as well. My limted understanding of the system is that there are actuators in both the transfer case and front differential. If the actuator in the front differential is completely disengaged the front drive shaft should not spin.

However, I vaguely recall reading a post regarding this issue where another member stated that some rotation of the front drive shaft in 2WD could occur from the rotational force of the front half shafts in the front differential fluid transferring via a fluid coupling to the front drive shaft even though the are mechanically disengaged. I think the more viscous the fluid (too thick due to wrong gear oil or extremely cold conditions) the worse the issue.

Does anyone elso recall this discussion or am I dreaming this up.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 2007 5.7 std cab.
At slow speed i hear a whum..whum....whum......whum..........whum..............whum
as i decrease speed. I don't think it is a tire balance issue but the way that the sound comes is as if there was a low spot on a tire. In other words 95% ofthe tire revolution is normal and then it hits a point where the sound comes.

I had the oil changed @ jl 3 days ago and then got the yearly inspection yesterday. I noticed the sound this morning.

Out of curiousity i stopped and put it in 4wd hi and it went away.

One additional point - at jl for the oil change they said they were not able to service the front diff. I did not ask why, although now i wish i had.

Perplexed!
Jb

· Registered
3 Posts
I have this exact same problem. In 2wd it "grinds" whom...whom...whom between 25-40mph and when I ziptie the front driveline so it cant spin the noise stops or when I shift into 4HI it stops. Has anyone figured out the answer to this problem yet? or are you guys just driving until it breaks or ignoring it?

sorry to bring back this post but it is bothering me so much this "phantom noise" that nobody seems to know the answer to. any guidance would be much appreciated thanks.

I also have 2.5" leveling kit with 285/55/16 tires ~33" tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.