Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had to drive over some very uneven terrain yesterday, and as I did, the front shocks seemed very mushy, and making a kind of "shush-shush" noise. Then, afterword, even on smoother roads, I'm hearing a small thud or rattle whenever I hit any bump.

Jacked up the truck, and tried to shake the wheel to see if anything was loose. Couldn't get anything to budge as far as tie rod, control arm, etc. Does this mean it's pretty sure the shock that's making the thud noise?

Here are some pics. Anything stand out to you as a problem? There seems to be a crack in the top plastic casing of the strut? Is that also a problem?

Thanks,

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would get it up in the air and get this looked at. Never seen a strut crack like that. My lower ball joints are making a popping and thud noise. Have you checked those?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having the same problem here. 188k miles on it, and making a rattle whenever going over bumps. Seems to go away when I apply the brakes, but I know it's not the pad clips. Way too loud for that. Haven't gotten a chance to lift her up yet. Any and all suggestions/input welcome

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've had a rattle/thud/clunk noise in my truck for the last few years and I can't figure it out. Sounds like the bed is bouncing up and down when I go over even minor bumps. It's really frustrating because nothing seems loose underneath but I know it has to be, perhaps it just requires hundreds of pounds of force to make it shake.
I've read a lot of threads on clunks but each one seems to be different, and hardly any of them are solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: Replaced the shocks, noise still present. Took off the sway bar (I actually prefer the ride without it), noise still present.

Had a friend look at it, agreed with my assessment that the upper and lower ball joints on both sides are shot. I'll be replacing those, along with the LCA bushings, and tie rods sometime this week. I'll keep y'all posted if the noise goes away.

Pretty convinced it's the ball joints. We'll see.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks, please do come back and let us know if this solves it. I thought this might be my problem, but I put the truck on jack stands and tried to wiggle the front wheels back and forth but they seemed to be tight. They say when your ball joints are shot you'll have a lot of play and looseness in the vertical and horizontal tension when you wiggle them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll definitely let y'all know. Weird sounds (rattles, clunk,etc.) literally drive me nuts over time... Makes owning a 16 year old truck with ~190k miles a challenge :D

One thing I can tell you right away, is that even without wiggling my tires, the boots on the upper and lowers are showing leaked oil/grease. On top of that, I'm fairly certain the uppers are the originals, and the lowers were replace under recall about 100k miles ago, so even if the sound doesn't go away, I'll feel loads better about it all being freshened up.

Also, if you have any rattles from the back of the truck, first things I would check are if there's any crap stuck up in the frame near the shock mounts under the bed (I found a plastic bottle in there the other day on the driver's side top mount), make sure the spare is tucked in tight, and lift up from the bottom on the tailgate while it's closed. The tailgate is where my clunk is coming from in the back when I go over bumps. 100% positive.

The front is still a mystery. My bumper is solid, the steering gear is solid (also replacing that), the skid plate is solid, the diff... I'll check that next when I install the diff drop kit. The hood rattles a little but not enough to cause what I'm hearing... After that, it can only be stuff in the engine bay. The hunt continues!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
These metal spacers can rattle when the rubber bushings degrade

One of the firs things I looked at, which is why I removed the whole sway bar assembly. Good suggestion though. I've seen those cause lots of weird noises on a variety of vehicles when they wear out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick update: broke my left foot this week, so gotta postpone the repairs for a week. Having a shop do the upper ball joints for me since I don't have a press. Since those will be first to get replaced, I should be able to better eliminate that as a variable in the quest for eliminating noise.

Also poked around in my engine bay the other night. Nothing jumped out as loose or rattling. The hunt continues!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had a rattle/thud/clunk noise in my truck for the last few years and I can't figure it out. Sounds like the bed is bouncing up and down when I go over even minor bumps. It's really frustrating because nothing seems loose underneath but I know it has to be, perhaps it just requires hundreds of pounds of force to make it shake.
I've read a lot of threads on clunks but each one seems to be different, and hardly any of them are solved.
I have the same issue on my 02. Truck has new rack and pinion, new outer tie rod, new LBJ. But the noise is still there. Especially when I turn left/right over any bump or uneven surface like turn into my driveway - makes a clunk noise

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick Update: I've now replaced the shocks, upper and lower ball joints, LCA bushings, tie rods, and steering rack, and its bushings. The clunks/rattles have severely been reduced, but they're still present, mostly at slow speeds over pavement cracks and potholes. Next thing I'm going to do is check all the brake components on the front end, and then look at how to tighten up my hood latch. Seems to rattle a bit going over bumps. I can lift the hood up and down a bit, so I want to find a way to tighten that up.

Ah, the joys of having a 190k mile, 16 year old truck... :D

And apologies for the late reply. Been traveling a lot for work the past month. Haven't had time for a lot of my own life and hobbies.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quick Update: I've now replaced the shocks, upper and lower ball joints, LCA bushings, tie rods, and steering rack, and its bushings. The clunks/rattles have severely been reduced, but they're still present, mostly at slow speeds over pavement cracks and potholes. Next thing I'm going to do is check all the brake components on the front end, and then look at how to tighten up my hood latch. Seems to rattle a bit going over bumps. I can lift the hood up and down a bit, so I want to find a way to tighten that up.

Ah, the joys of having a 190k mile, 16 year old truck... :D

And apologies for the late reply. Been traveling a lot for work the past month. Haven't had time for a lot of my own life and hobbies.
You can adjust the hood tightness on either side by turning the threaded rubber hood bump stops. I believe they are on the outside hood corners above headlight area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
07 Sequoia with same knocking...I found my transmission mount idolater missing all four of its screws. It looks like they have been missing for a while. It was just sitting on the cross member. There are four screws 90080-11387 that I replaced and knock gone. Some mechanic for got something along the way I guess. I have only had my truck for two weeks now

·
Registered
5 Posts
06 regular cab 4x4 with 185K miles stock suspension. Has been going clunk-clunk clunk somewhere in the front end (but who knows) whenever I go over bumps. This has been going on for 4 years. I checked the ball joints 3 times over the years and found no slack. I had the ball joint recall done about 16 years ago, not sure what they did.

I replaced the front struts, rear shocks, the lower control arms and inspected everything several times. The sway bar rubber looks good, I replaced both CV axles and the left side clamshell bushing in the differential. I looked at all the body mounts, can't find anything worn. I'm stumped. I don't do any serious off roading but a lot of dirt roads. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
06 regular cab 4x4 with 185K miles stock suspension. Has been going clunk-clunk clunk somewhere in the front end (but who knows) whenever I go over bumps. This has been going on for 4 years. I checked the ball joints 3 times over the years and found no slack. I had the ball joint recall done about 16 years ago, not sure what they did.

I replaced the front struts, rear shocks, the lower control arms and inspected everything several times. The sway bar rubber looks good, I replaced both CV axles and the left side clamshell bushing in the differential. I looked at all the body mounts, can't find anything worn. I'm stumped. I don't do any serious off roading but a lot of dirt roads. Anyone have any suggestions?
Tie rods? you didn't mention those. some shocks are also known to make noise. springs clacking together and such. just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my 2001 4x4 Sequoia Limited with 260k miles.
It seems to have worsened when I got new MileStar Patagonia tires on it and a 3" suspension spacer lift on OEM shocks/struts.
Last week, after a 200 mile trek to and from Atlantic City and Philadelphia, my lower ball joint popped out and ripped out the top one.
I replaced both and noticed that the springs put so much pressure on the lower ball joint that you'll almost never find any play or flex.
Just as a precaution, I suggest taking the spindle/knuckle/hub off the lower joint via four 14mm bolts and check for play that way.
The upper control arm pulls up on the knuckle while the lower pulls down, so you'll never notice any play.
In my specific case, I'm leaning toward unbalanced wheels/tires and bad shocks, but after seeing everything you guys have tried,
I'm drawing a blank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem here. 188k miles on it, and making a rattle whenever going over bumps. Seems to go away when I apply the brakes, but I know it's not the pad clips. Way too loud for that. Haven't gotten a chance to lift her up yet. Any and all suggestions/input welcome
Did you ever figure out the problem. I have the same problem that seems to also disappear when applying the brakes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts