Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. My truck has been making a noise for a while now and it's getting worse. I can best describe it as a "whomp-whomp-whomp" that is tied to speed of the truck. Here are additional notes:

-Both front wheel bearings replaced within the last two weeks, cyclical whomp is still there (bearings were both bad)
-Loudest between 20-30 mph
-No difference with 4WD engaged
-Can't feel it/hear it at higher speeds
-Subtle vibration felt in steering wheel/floor boards (not like a tire is out of balance)
-Tires are 1 year old, no abnormal wear
-U joints greased ~4K miles ago (except for double cardon....couldn't reach the zerks)
-front differential replaced a.5 years ago (used) with new fluid
-new fluid in transfer case

I'm kind of at a loss here. How do I check CV joints? Problem with the differential? Bad U-joints? Any help would be great. I'm not sure what else could be causing this noise.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, been searching the forums for the last several days now and I've narrowed it down to one of three things:

1.) Differential...apparently our front diff has a tendency to make a lot of noise. Something about one of the bearings inside of it going bad. Fix is to replace the diff. I just replaced it two years ago, with a used one though. I'm trying to check the fluid but the fill plug is seized, so I'm waiting for it to soak with PB blaster over the next day to get into it.
2.) Rear bearings....front two are new, rears are old. I'm going to jack the rear up tomorrow and spin the wheels to see if I get any sound. Check for any play also.
3.) Driveshaft....possible bad U-joints, but from what I've read those usually make a bad sound/vibration at high speeds, and not low speeds.

I'll update after I check these.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some more diagnostics, here's what I found:

-Front diff fluid is full and is very clean.
-No noise in rear bearings, some play on drivers side rear. I'll get those changed out
-No play in U joints
-Some play in both the CV axles where they meet the front diff. Drivers side has more play....able to move it up and down.
-Boots are in good condition, no tears

Incidentally, when I was checking the rear bearings I noticed that when I spun one wheel the other one wasn't going the same direction....I have an LSD so I thought they were supposed to move the same? Also when I spun the passenger tire, the driver's side didn't move at all. Normal or problem with the rear diff?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Continuing the saga....

Still unable to fully figure out where the source of the problem is, so now I'm starting to cross stuff off the list. Most likely culprit (based on my extensive reading here) was front differential needle bearing. I ordered the ECGS replacement bushing and new CV axles from CVJ.

Old driver's axle had a leaking outer boot. New axles have high-angle inner boot to prevent tears.

The ECGS bushing was a nightmare to get in there. It was nothing like the Youtube videos show....at least for me. It took hours of work to get it in there. Refilled diff fluid, confirmed no leaks and test drove it the past two days. Unfortunately this did NOT solve the vibration issue. Still there, still the same.

I did notice this when putting the driver's axle in:

How in the world did this happen? Could this be related to the vibration I'm hearing??

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Oh man; I am at a loss of words. I hope someone knowledgeable can offer some advice!

I would do some further looking into the LSD, like download a manual for an aftermarket Eaton (I forget who makes the OEM 1) because what you described does not sound right at all.

The new axle does look like a quality part.

I cannot tell what you are showing us in the other picture.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
On the aftermarket LSDs, I have the Eaton Detroit Truetrac. It says the opposite tire will spin in the opposite direction.
The manual for the Eaton Posi says the opposite tire will spin in the same direction. Whatever 1 side does, the other should definitely do the same

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arseum - I suspect my factory LSD is probably worn out. No big deal as long as the gears still work smoothly (shop said they heard no noise in that diff). Eventually it'll be replaced with an ARB locker anyways.

The part in the second pic is the driver's side wheel hub, where the CV axle goes through. You can see it in this picture:

Seems odd to me that the threads on the CV axle caused scoring on the hub like that. Not sure how that could've happened. I'm going to pull the passenger side today and replace that axle, and I'll see if the same scoring exists over there.

-Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a similar noise/vibration in my 03 AC.
Been down much of the same road you have.
Didn't have too much trouble with the ECGS bushing. Wasn't easy but wasn't a nightmare.
Didn't fix my vibration/noise either.

How are your lower control arm bushings? Mine are toasted.
Also, couldnt get an alignment after I did all my front end work because the Control arm bolts/adjusters are frozen.
That was about a year ago.
Starting to get uneven tire wear so its getting on time to get out the cutting torch and cough up about 500 for Toyota Genuine parts.
*sigh*...

Curious to see if you find anything else. I'm kinda starting to think it might be the front diff?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking at the pic of the splines in your hub. If your axle nut was not on tight enough it would allow the axle to chatter those splines up like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 04 Double Cab. My problems were identical to your's. The issue was solved with new front brake rotors - genuine Toyota. If you use after market rotors and drums you have a high probability of getting this problem. I replaced my drums too. Problem was gone immediately.
I thought the Toyota mechanic was crazy but he was spot on. I buy my stuff from Partsznet.com (Conicelli Toyota). They have an extra 10% off periodically and their prices with shipping can't be beat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zach - From what I can tell the LCA bushings seem to be okay. The truck has aligned fine the two or three times I've had it done (after suspension work). If it's not a front-end thing on mine then I'm going to start working my way backwards. I'll drop the rear driveshaft and take it into a driveshaft shop to have them evaluate it. It's possible the carrier bearing is going out, and it's possible that a U-joint might be bad as well. If that doesn't solve the problem then I'll take a closer look at the rear diff. Maybe the pinion bearing in there?

MoneyPit - That's kind of what I was thinking, but I have no idea when that would've happened. Perhaps damage from a previous owner?

Mackjohn - That's an interesting finding. I would suspect that brakes would cause the noise/vibration only when braking. I have the noise/vibration all the time. I do know, however, that my front rotors are starting to warp....it's starting to get a little shaky when I brake now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replaced the passenger side CV axle last night. There was no scoring on the hub like there was on the driver's side. The swap went smoothly with no problems. Unfortunately the noise didn't go away, so now it's on to the rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
KPack, If your rotors are warped they could be wobbling enough to make the noise all the time. Like I said, I thought the mechanic was nuts. But he told me he's seen it 100's of times. Try it. Its not that expensive. And replace the pads too. If it were me, it buy new toyota drums too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KPack, If your rotors are warped they could be wobbling enough to make the noise all the time. Like I said, I thought the mechanic was nuts. But he told me he's seen it 100's of times. Try it. Its not that expensive. And replace the pads too. If it were me, it buy new toyota drums too.
Well, it's definitely worth looking into. I'll check around and see what I can find for OEM rotors and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same noise in my 2007 Tundra. Warranty recall replaced the front differential in 2008 noise eliminated all has been good!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris - There is definitely no problem with critters, though that is an interesting thought.

Jeff - That's what I've heard from others, and that is why I did the ECGS bushing. My diff was replaced after I bought the truck because the original front diff exploded on me (leaking axle seal that I was unaware of). The replacement diff was a used one, so it's possible that the replacement diff is still part of the problem, even after I replaced the needle bearing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An update to this issue:

I've had various things done, some to try and help the vibration, some for other reasons
-Rear diff bearings replaced (they were making a lot of noise)
-New tires
-New driveshaft carrier bearing

None of the above made any difference to the vibration and/or noise I was hearing. I removed the entire rear driveshaft and checked the U-joints....they all felt fine. Took the driveshaft to a driveline shop and had them look as well. They confirmed u-joints were good. Because I already had the shaft off they went ahead and threw it on the balancer. Turns out it was out of balance behind the double cardan joint.

Put it back on the truck and the vibration is 80-90% gone! I haven't tested it at freeway speeds yet, but so far I haven't felt the truck this smooth is over a year. There is still a little bit there, but not much.

Incidently I noticed that whoever had been in on the driveshaft before had assembled it wrong.....the front half and rear half are out of phase with each other. I'm going to correct that this weekend and see if that takes care of the remaining minor vibration.

Reactions: arseum

·
Registered
5 Posts
KPack - I have the same thing going on with my 02 Tundra AC w/ Billys, AAL and brand new 285/75/16 KO2s. I have a rotational whomp-whomp at about 35-40mph. It is driving me crazy! When I put it in 4WD, it goes away for the most part. I had 4wheelparts do a full run through on it, they checked the drive-line, U-joints, bearings, ect. They said to keep driving it until it gets worse so they can pin point it, no thanks. I am about to pull the trigger on the ECGS to see if that solves the problem. I figured I would get some new CV axles as well but it sounds like that has not worked for you. Please let me know if you have found a solution for this.

I would agree on the brakes, I used to have a really bad vibration when stopping until I swapped out the new larger brake calipers and vented rotors and have not had an issue with that since. It have been at least a couple of years now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts