Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I still have the "whomp, whomp, whomp" at certain speeds. My guess is that it's my front diff. Mine doesn't go away in 4WD, and the ECGS bushing didn't help. It's probably something else within the diff. New tires and wheels didn't change the noise.

As for the vibration, having the driveshaft balanced helped but didn't solve it completely. Roadforcing all the tires on a Hunter DSP9700 helped even more. It's certainly much better now but not perfect. I'm rebuilding my front suspension due to increasingly harsh ride, and will be digging into the rear suspension soon. There's some clunking back there and the bed jiggles excessively after bumps. I think all these things have been contributing to a less-than-pleasant experience.

-Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
KPack and others. I’m new to forum. I have a 2005 Tundra DC 4x4 Limited I have owned since new. 165K on ODO. I try to take really good care of it. I have a slight rore from front differential. My Toyo shop says to replace the differential w a used unit. They want $1700 for this. Seems to me buying used is a crap shoot. They said they hardly ever go bad and cheaper to swap than rebuild. What do you guys think? Thx for help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I *think* I'm getting the same noise discussed here, but I would describe mine as a tick/click. 03 Tundra AC 4x4 w/ 190k, and in the last hundred miles I began to notice the sound. After trying different things I found that the u joint in the front driveshaft closest to the transfer case is shot, and I was thinking that's it, but would that shaft even be rotating if the transfer case is in 2wd? In park it spins easily by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update
Replaced that U joint and that seems to have been the source of my noise, so I guess that front drive shaft is spinning when I'm driving in 2wd. Just seems odd that, if it's constantly connected to either the front diff or the transfer case in 2wd, that I could spin it by hand in park with the front wheels on the ground...

·
Registered
2 Posts
KPack - I have the same thing going on with my 02 Tundra AC w/ Billys, AAL and brand new 285/75/16 KO2s. I have a rotational whomp-whomp at about 35-40mph. It is driving me crazy! When I put it in 4WD, it goes away for the most part. I had 4wheelparts do a full run through on it, they checked the drive-line, U-joints, bearings, ect. They said to keep driving it until it gets worse so they can pin point it, no thanks. I am about to pull the trigger on the ECGS to see if that solves the problem. I figured I would get some new CV axles as well but it sounds like that has not worked for you. Please let me know if you have found a solution for this.

I would agree on the brakes, I used to have a really bad vibration when stopping until I swapped out the new larger brake calipers and vented rotors and have not had an issue with that since. It have been at least a couple of years now.
Any luck on your issue WaTrout88? Having the same issue over here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still have the "whomp, whomp, whomp" at certain speeds. My guess is that it's my front diff. Mine doesn't go away in 4WD, and the ECGS bushing didn't help. It's probably something else within the diff. New tires and wheels didn't change the noise.

As for the vibration, having the driveshaft balanced helped but didn't solve it completely. Roadforcing all the tires on a Hunter DSP9700 helped even more. It's certainly much better now but not perfect. I'm rebuilding my front suspension due to increasingly harsh ride, and will be digging into the rear suspension soon. There's some clunking back there and the bed jiggles excessively after bumps. I think all these things have been contributing to a less-than-pleasant experience.

-Kevin
Any update Kpack?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Any update Kpack?
Kind of. I still have the "whomp" at certain speeds but I don't really worry about it now. The truck overall is smoother after road-force balancing and driveshaft balancing. Not perfect, but better. However, with airing down to 15 PSI and hitting hard trails, the tires have slipped a bit from their original balancing point (I can see the marks no longer line up with the valve stem). It doesn't seem to have affected the balance much though.

I had my front shocks rebuilt (Icon) and changed the valving to be softer at low speed compression. It helped soften up the front end some, but I think I might be over sprung (700 lbs springs). I replaced the leaf springs with fresh ones and an AAL, and the rear feels much better. It still jiggles sometimes though, and that's annoying. I'm not sure what that's from.

I've come to terms with the fact that this truck will never be as smooth as an unmodified truck. Stiff "E" range tires, firm suspension, heavy armor, and other modifications make for a more jarring ride. But my truck is built as a trail-rig and not for pavement comfort. Don't get me wrong, it's still totally acceptable on the road. But it's now very capable on the trail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@KPack - Do you have any trouble shifting into/out of 4wd (aka the blink of death)?

I've been fighting an issue with the front diff actuator (I think I may have it sorted, finally...) - and when that front collar is not slid all the way over (locked or unlocked), it seems to make a bad "whirr/grinding" (sounds like metal cylinder on metal cylinder) - worse at low speeds, accompanied by a really disconcerting clunking noise when hitting any bumps. Getting that front diff ALLLLL the way in each direction seems to solve it (I hope).

I think I may have misaligned the gear to the fork when I installed the actuator, or it somehow slipped and got lined up incorrectly, so the motor was moving the gear/fork, but not correctly, and it wouldn't consistently complete the shift cycle (and even when it did, it did not seem to slide all the way over to unlocked).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone find the answer to this issue? I am having the same type of noise. I sounds like a wheel bearing but those were checked and all good.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will say that once I dropped the pressure in these cheap 37" E mud tires down to 35, a lot of the terrible noises that I was getting from the front end went (mostly) away.

The difference between 35 and 50 psi is quite noticeable, both in ride quality and in grinding/clunking/etc noises eminating from the front of the truck.

Would love to understand why there's such a narrow tolerance there. Does the higher inflation cause less traction, thereby screwing with the slip/traction brains in the ECU? Is it somehow related to the breaks?

The noise is not just "mud tires on pavement."

I know these are larger tires, but the window of normal operational tolerance should not be that small.

Looking to put some Grapplers on there, soon, anyway.

These are garbage Road One rubbers that the dealer put on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check tires for cupping. Tires will get louder too as they wear. If they are cupping rotate to the back and see if you notice a difference or if the sound follows.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts