Toyota Tundra Forums banner

front plate on 2009 Tacoma

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xedge 
#1 ·
Good day to you. I'm both a new Tacoma owner and a new member of this forum. I've done a bit of searching here but can't find the answer I need. If I missed it and it's already been posted, please point me to it.

Anyway...

I have a new Tacoma and I need a way to mount the front license plate, preferably without boring holes in my shiny new bumper.

I have been looking for some sort of bracket that I can "Snap in" in some way to the grill or something.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where I can go to get it?

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
?? They come with the holes already in the front bumper. Tell me what I'm missing. Is it an aftermarket bumper?

#3 ·
hi and thank you for getting back to me.

I looked but the bumper is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Not a hole to be seen.

Now I will grant that I might have missed it. It is January and what with global warming and all I was suffering from mild hypothermia. :sleep:

I'll look again, but I didn't see anyplace to mount the plate. When i was doing searches on the net, apparently others were talking about the same thing.

I'll double check and report back.

#5 ·
Welcome to TS from NorCal!

When we took delivery of our new '05, there were no holes in the front bumper. I saw them drill the holes and attach the license frame & paper plate. Guess I should consider myself lucky that it's on straight...
Yep, guess we NorCal folks are quick to respond.:biggrin1:

Now I gotta wonder...are all the holes being drilled at the dealerships? Or do you think yours was destined for another country where they don't put on front license plates?

Anyway, back to the original post. Here's a couple of links with ideas. The idea in the first link I think is so so (So I finally got pulled over for no front license plate. - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation).

This one, on the other hand, would have my vote...see post #12 here: license plate install on front of truck - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Good luck to you.

#6 ·
Interesting things they posted over there, and I did think abnout mounting the plate under the bumper like one poster did.

You know what we need? Someone with some talent who can make a goo snap in frame that can be clipped securely to the front grill.

Do that in such a way that it doesn't mar the original equipment and watch the profit$$$ roll in. :)
I'm surprised someone hasn't done that yet. :D

#7 ·
Not all states require front plates (a fair number don't, actually). And yes, it's the dealer drilling the holes. I can't believe they don't even ask the purchaser if they want it done, even if it's a state requirement to have front plates. More incentive for an ARB I guess. :D

#8 ·
Tacomas and Tundras aren't built with the holes in the bumper. There are two small dimples in the bumper to show where to drill. It is done at the dealership for Provinces/States that require a front plate and by some dealers that stick their own plate on.
I know your truck is new and you don't want to drill holes in it. I felt the same way when I first got my '05 Tacoma. I just got an '08 Tundra and had to drill the bumper on it too. You may as well go ahead and get it over with. A plate hanging on the grill would look a little goofy.
I live in a Province that requires a plate but the Tacoma came from a Province that didn't and the Tundra is from the US.
You can get a license plate adapter for the Weston Bull bar. Of course you have to buy the Bull bar too. :)

#9 ·
I remember seeing a license plate bracket option on a newer Tundra while browsing a dealer lot one day. It was actually seeing a bracket that made me get out of my tacoma & look @ the sticker & sure enough it was a option. I was curious if it could be modded for the tacoma somehow, alas mine is drilled for we have to run a DMV plate. I think the dealer just use self-tapping screws. I put some thin foam 3M tape on the back of the tag to keep it from cutting into the bumper over time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.