Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I have a question for people with front end receiver hitches.Are you still able to remove the front skid plate to do an oil change?I saw a 07 or 08 tundra with a Drawtite front end receiver and it looked very close to the skid plate,I don't think you would have to remove the receiver every time to do an oil change would you?I wouldn't mind having one on my rig if it doesn't get in the way.:confused:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I made a trap door to get to the oil filter. Used a hole saw to cut a hole plenty pig enough for my hand, then a buddy welded a couple of tabs in the piece we cut out and used screws to attache the tabs to the pan.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tony has the right idea. There should be a door on the stock skid plate like Lexus uses but the fact is it doesn't have one.

With the front receiver on there is no way to get to the front screws that hold the skid plate on. The hitch has to come off to get the skid plate off.

I ended up just leaving the skid plate off. The front hitch hangs down far enough that it will do any "skidding" necessary. In fact, it will probably tear up the front end if anything is hit with it.

There is an angled false mount that can be put in the receiver to deflect a direct hit on a rock but they are expensive and the effectiveness looks iffy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,I found out that the instructions for the drawtite front receiver advise you to remove the skid plate before installing the receiver to be able to change your oil.:eek:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
What does one use a front receiver for anyway? Pulling in reverse? Serious question...
I use it to maneuver my trailer in tight spots and also mount a bike rack and still be able to open the tailgate. Some mount winches in a temporary fashion.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Bike rack. Removable winch mount. That's it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
As stated above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I took Tony's suggestion and manufactured a "trap door" access to the oil filter during the following oil change. Ive been expecting to add a Curt front hitch for parking my boat into the VERY SMALL garage and to add a Hitch Mounted winch that I bought. That SQUARE access door was SIMPLE to install. I added a hinge and a tab. Remove one screw and the flap falls open! Its a sweet deal and so easy to do!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was at Oshkosh last year for the airshow and the guy camping behind me had his generator for the camper on a tray that plugged into the receiver on the front. I discussed it with him and he told me that it really worked out well and did not change the air into his radiator. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Wish i could afford a front receiver myself ;-P

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I was at Oshkosh last year for the airshow and the guy camping behind me had his generator for the camper on a tray that plugged into the receiver on the front. I discussed it with him and he told me that it really worked out well and did not change the air into his radiator. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Wish i could afford a front receiver myself ;-P
I found a place here in San Antonio that will sell me a CURT front hitch INSTALLED for under $100... I think you can afford that if you just dont drive your truck for a weekend...LOL
:abduction:

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I like the hinge idea. I might have to revisit my trap door. Thanks.
And you can use a little star washer to capture the sheet metal screw so you dont lose it! Im thinking about a FUMOTO valve for the ULTIMATE Easy Oil Change!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts