Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new bilstein 5100 in the front and when I went to install the springs back into the car, I accidentally swapped sides. The spring originally on the driver side is now on the passenger side and vice versa. The truck is higher on the passenger side now by one inch measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender. The bilstein 5100 are set to one clip up from the bottom. The spring that is currently on the driver side (the lower side) has two center coils that are more compressed than the rest of the spring while the passenger side (the higher side) all of the coils are evenly spaced apart.

Is there a difference between the stock left and right springs and my problem is just a matter of having it on the wrong side? Or is the spring that is on the lower side just shot and I need to replace it?

I'm asking this because I checked OEM part numbers and Toyota shows two different numbers for the left and right springs.

The truck was level from side to side before this happened. Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

·
5,061 Posts
Slow down and think about it....it was level BEFORE you put the left spring on the right and right spring on the left. Do you really think the coil went t/u in the amount of time you had them off the vehicle and reinstalled them?

If you haven't figured it out yet, the springs are different.

Swap them back and enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the affirmation. My rush to put things back together cause this little fumble. Time to pull the wrench back out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
They're probably this way to offset the weight of the gas tank. It's good practice to do one side at a time if you can and when you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped the coil spring suspensions back to their respective sides and all is well now. 21.5" from center of the wheel to the fender both sides. Thanks all for your input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I realized this same thing happened to me. Did you dissemble the coilover again (remove coil from strut and swap), or did you just swap the whole assembly from left to right? Does this matter, if the out arrows on the top plate are “in” (no rotation of assembly during swap) or if the assembly is “backwards” (rotating assembly during swap so arrows are out? I would assume not, and that those arrows are just to keep the plate perpendicular to the lower mounting bolt eyelets? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there. It's been awhile since I did this and no longer have this truck... I didn't disassemble. I did a swap. If I recall correctly, the top hats and spring perches are the same. So I believe I just rotated the whole unit. It leveled out and I had no issues for the remainder of the life of the vehicle under my ownership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts