Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to pull the front struts so I could paint them. I rented a coil spring compressiont tool but I could't get it on two opposite sides so the spring wouldn't compress properly. But while I had it as compressed as I could get I unbolted the sway arm and upper strut mounting nuts and lowered the jack but still the spring had tension on it. I did not want to attempt removing the lower strut bolt unless I was able to get it unloaded. Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to remove them?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I was going to pull the front struts so I could paint them. I rented a coil spring compressiont tool but I could't get it on two opposite sides so the spring wouldn't compress properly. But while I had it as compressed as I could get I unbolted the sway arm and upper strut mounting nuts and lowered the jack but still the spring had tension on it. I did not want to attempt removing the lower strut bolt unless I was able to get it unloaded. Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to remove them?
Check out this thread... http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/167954-mcgaughys-2-4-5-lowering-kit/

I have a few pics of front strut/spring removal in it.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
You can remove the strut/spring assembly without compressing. Remove the lower bolt and the 4 upper nuts. Once you have it out then compress the spring and remove the top center nut. What ever you do do not remove the top center nut until the spring is compressed other wise there will be nothing to hold the spring tension and will launch the end off. I did the same as you only I also took out the 2 lower ball joint bolts from the lower control arm to give me more room to work with. Doing it this way is totally safe and easier to work on without all the structure in the way. Just remember the orientation of the upper spring perch. there is an arrow on one side that needs to be pointing out when you get stuff back together and in the truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts