Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had this problem for a while. Over fairly hard bumps, I can hear a rattle coming from the front end somewhere. Sounds like it's right at the wheel. Looked for loose hub, license plate holders, the usual crap. Put it on a lift today and banged things around - everything is ROCK solid. No heat shields rattling or contacting something else, etc. I did have the ball joint recall done already.

Looked at the brake caliper (just had the pads replaced about 3 months ago). Caliper bolts are tight - no wiggles. Looked at the pads, and there is only one spring (at the top of the pads) in place. The spring used to push the pads away from the rotor when the pistons are not pushing them. Jiggled the pads around a bit and they are very free moving. Am I missing the bottom spring? There are obviously holes in the pads at both ends meant for springs.

Two springs in the pads, or one? Advice please.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have this same rattle. Mine sounds like a click-clack when I hit a hard bump. I'll have to check the anti-rattle springs on the pads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o5regcab: Yeah, I'd check 'em. But I still don't know if there are supposed to be one or two springs. Logic tells me there should be two - one at the top and one at the bottom. Waiting for a "wrench" type to chime in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have more of a chain jingling type sound coming from my front end, but can't figure out where it is coming from either. Just did my pads and rotors 2 weeks ago, and there is only one separating spring per pad set. So basically, no, there is no spring on the bottom of the pads, just on the top.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have more of a chain jingling type sound coming from my front end, but can't figure out where it is coming from either. Just did my pads and rotors 2 weeks ago, and there is only one separating spring per pad set. So basically, no, there is no spring on the bottom of the pads, just on the top.
You might want to check your dust shield, a while ago I had sears do my alignment. After I got it back it was making bad noises when I turned & somtimes going straight. Well I went to go look behind my right wheel and they had bent the sh** out of my shield...might not be your prob, but does'nt hurt to check it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TundrainOrange: Reading this from work this morning. What you say makes sense!!!!! They did do a front end alignment when they did the ball joint recall. And now that I think about it, the noise does sound like something might be contacting the dust shield. The problem is that I banged on that sucker and couldn't see anything that looked as though it could contact the shield. I'll look again tonight when I get home and I might even bend it a bit myself to see if I can change the noise. At least that way, I'll know if I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think another problem might be that I had it on a frame lift. I think what I really need to do is get it on a drive on lift so the suspension is "loaded". Clearances would be a lot different under those conditions, don't you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts