Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I alone or is anybody else frustrated by the lack availabilty of aftermarket parts for the 2007 Tundra. I realize new releases take time for the aftermarket makers to offer products, but wouldn't you think with all the money Toyota is putting into the release of this product,their engineers would have gave more consideration to commonality of size? Try to find an aftermarket wheel to fit the crazy bolt pattern. Try to find a lift kit that is more than a leveling kit. Try to find a aftermarket stereo that would fit without major customizing. Right now I am looking to replace my Superduty. I am really interested in the Tundra. I have heard alot of good things about it. I am trying to decide between the F150 and the Tundra. I have decided that the Tundra is the better choice. However, after countless hours of trying to find aftermarket parts that would set my Tundra apart from others, I find the selection lame at best. I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to have to go to my local Ford dealer and order the inferior F150.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
New model year vehicles always take some time to get parts on the market. IMHO it is unwise to base your vehicle selection on parts availability. The parts will be readily available within 6-12 months but you will have to live with the poor vehicle choice for 5-10 years or more. Good luck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
New model year vehicles always take some time to get parts on the market. IMHO it is unwise to base your vehicle selection on parts availability. The parts will be readily available within 6-12 months but you will have to live with the poor vehicle choice for 5-10 years or more. Good luck.
what he said. ^ ^ ^

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Am I alone or is anybody else frustrated by the lack availabilty of aftermarket parts for the 2007 Tundra. I realize new releases take time for the aftermarket makers to offer products, but wouldn't you think with all the money Toyota is putting into the release of this product,their engineers would have gave more consideration to commonality of size? Try to find an aftermarket wheel to fit the crazy bolt pattern. Try to find a lift kit that is more than a leveling kit. Try to find a aftermarket stereo that would fit without major customizing. Right now I am looking to replace my Superduty. I am really interested in the Tundra. I have heard alot of good things about it. I am trying to decide between the F150 and the Tundra. I have decided that the Tundra is the better choice. However, after countless hours of trying to find aftermarket parts that would set my Tundra apart from others, I find the selection lame at best. I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to have to go to my local Ford dealer and order the inferior F150.
if you arent wiling to wait for aftermarket support to come out you should probably get the ford then... if you want the better truck and you want the benefit of a better build quality and better fit and finish you should get a tundra... full aftermarket on these trucks will not be available for at least 2 years... or at least a year minimum

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Just having my Tundra sets me apart from the crowd...For now...

·
Registered
213 Posts
It takes time for the aftermarket folks to make accessories for "ANY" newly released model that has had a complete redo.
Be patient...:) If not, buy one that has been around for a long time...I like having something different than 90% of the common folks...:D

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's not just Toyota. I was at my local truck accessory store the other day and, like you, I was looking for some accessories for my new 07 Tundra. The guy told me that the carmakers (Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc.) used to provide aftermarket manufacturers with specs when intoducing an all-new vehicle, but they do not do that anymore. He said the aftermarket companies literally must get their hands on a vehicle after they hit the lots, and that's why it takes a while to get the aftermarket products out. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but is what I was told.

That said, there are a few sites out there with a decent selection of Tundra accessories. Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories wholesale to the public. is one I have ordered from.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You know a ton of aftermarket products will be out before the years end - why can you not live with the stock radio and wheels for a few months???

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm not trying to make a generalization about Ford here (it could be any type of vehicle), but I don't see any value in "souping up" a bad vehicle. Make sure that you get the vehicle that you want first... that is more important. Aftermarket stuff will come and go as long as your patient enough you'll see plenty of stuff. But every once in a while I'll see a vehicle go down are street and the audio system in it is worth 5 times the price of the car... just plain stupid if you ask me, but hey, if the guy likes the vehicle, no problem, but if not, there is hardly any benefit to be gained for spending more money on it...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I ran into the issue when I first bought my 04 Dodge Ram and my 06 MINI Cooper S. It takes almost 6 months or more for products to start rolling in.

Be patient

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The way I look at it is this, yes, its bad that there isnt much aftermarket support right now. But just think of it as extra time to save up for everything your wanting and get it when it hits the market. Im already half way through my mod list, and Ive had the truck a month. Wheel availability is going to be the biggest difficulty for me.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
SEMA, working with the various manufactures offers 'fitting' or 'measuring' sessions for new vehicles well before they are released to the public. This gives any aftermarket company the chance to take measurements, usually photos too, and see what they will be dealing with. However, I am sure that most companies will then begin working on prototypes, but final fitment would most definitely be checked on actual prodution vehicles.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am still waiting for aftermarket parts for my 2006 so quit whinning and figure out that Toyota could care less about aftermarket products unless they sell them and they have historically not sold many!! You should be happy they have some BIG 3 similarity's, blinkers on the rearview mirrors, gas mielage, cannister oil filters, PS if you do get a F150 make sure you get the extended warranty, my BLAW says his spent more time in shop than on highway and he travels for a living and traded a F150 cause it was in shop and that's where he left it when he traded it in the shop broke!!! Too bad his Company traded for another F150 that i am sure will be their shortly again!! Patience has allways prevailed!! you do not wanta Toyota to look like a Ford with all that generic aftermarket garbage on it anyway!! that's why Toyota does not follow they LEAD with Quality and reliability!!:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I kept my '03 Dodge Ram 2500 for 29 months. There were still many aftermarket parts that I could not buy for that truck even the day I sold it. It's not just Toyota.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Bad..... I really didn't realize how new this release is. I just assumed that like most domestics, it was probably released last summer. Now I read on the forum how wrong I was. I really can't be upset...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Just a update for you guys.. Metra has a kit for a aftermarket radio unit coming out any day now.. Aftermarket rims are about 6 weeks out at the moment... And if you have the cash you could always get a fiberglass kit made your your radio.. looks 1000 times better anyways!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts