Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
drive slow, k and n air filter. I had an 00 v8 4 wheel forever. I could get 18 if I really paid attention. Paying attention to rpms is the biggest part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nothing will really help that much, just drive slower and keep your maintenance up, tire pressure, etc. Contrary to what people think they burn up lots of gas and the hope of 20mpg is a pipe dream.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Don't drive it or sell it and get a Prius :D.

John

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I bought a SCANGUAGE II and watched my instant / daily / tank mileage. After a while, by being careful ( keep it under 2000 RPMs ) I gained about 2 mpg

Again, YMMV !!!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Keep it stock, no lift, no AT tires (need passenger like tires-no aggressive thread)), no K&N, no larger/wider tires. Keep foot of gas aka <2000 RPM Yes its hard as KIA and Saturns accelerate faster then you, but its 5500+ lbs truck. Want MPG? - park it for a day and use bicycle to save gas.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I feel wrong posting this, but...

You are driving a truck. Its about as aerodynamic as a brick. If you want gas mileage, you purchased the wrong vehicle.

Keep engine below 2k RPMS, tires over inflated, no AT tires. Unsure of difference between air filters vs. mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info and funnies :D. watching the RPMs is what i was looking for, i just wanted to know if there was anything performance wise that would help. i am not going to sell it or park it :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I recently sold my '00 Tacoma and purchased a '01 Tundra TRD Limited. I absolutely love the ride and extra room, but I hate the gas mileage. The Tacoma with it's V6 would get maybe 18 or 19 MPG on a good day and never really shined around town. I had a 15 passenger Dodge van before the Tacoma and several times it got 18 to 20 mpg on long trips.

To be fair, I haven't had the Tundra on a long road trip yet, and 16 mpg has been the best gas mileage so far. I am changing plugs today (factory specified plugs) in hopes of seeing even a slight increase. What can people tell me about the irridium plugs? Are they really worth the extra $$?

Thanks,

AlaskaGuy10

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a SCANGUAGE II in my 2003 4x4 AC. I was getting about 20 mpg being careful on the open road. Now getting right at 18mpg, combo 2 lane at 60mph and 70mph on I-75 over mountain from KY to TN...dropped same time as when weather turned cold.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hello,
it's not only the persons driving habbit's, but the gas.
they are giving us, less & less true gas.
the additives are killing our gas mileage.
they also have a winter & summer blend, that also makes a huge difference.
like many of us have already said 90% of us get between 14 & 18mpg.
that is our average.
gorilla

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I must be odd man out here. I used to own a 2000 AC, no mods or anything other than factory. I checked it on several road trip and got anywhere between 20 and 22. That is driving 60 with the cruise set. In town now the best it ever got was 15.5. the best it ever got was going to visit my mom and it got 22.6 driving dead on 55 with no AC on, which it was in the dead of winter to. Now towing with it I was dang lucky to get 11!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
60 and 55 is gonna be better than 70-75 mph. No A/c also helped you.

Ethanol gas will reduce everyone's MPGs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I only get around 260 a tank and thats pushing it, mine is terrible

·
Registered
55 Posts
^^ thats about what i been getting idk if its because of winter ....but first thing i did when i got it was change the air filter spark plugs ..check the tires and changed my oil...i want to change fuel filter but never got a chance to do it .......but i love my truck and thats the price i guess i have to pay for so be it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts