Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2018 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport, 144L fuel tank. Any one have issues with the fuel gauge and DTE accuracy? The most I have ever put into my Tundra was 121L, that was after driving 5kms with the low fuel light on, DTE reading 0km and gauge reading empty. I get that manufacturers want to leave some fuel in the tank for reserve, and even to make sure the fuel pumps are properly cooled, but that's 23L, which is right around 6 gallons! I do a lot of long distance travelling with this, and haul a camper in the summer. It would be nice to know what actual range I can get out of this thing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or complaint, and if anyone knows anything for an actual fix. Dealer essentially said that's how it is, nothing they can do.
It's not a major concern, I never owned a pickup that had accurate DTE calculations, but at least they had accurate fuel gauges themselves! But I can't even properly calculate by hand how far I can drive with this pickup.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Welcome to the site. Do a search and you will see this subject has been discussed quite a bit. Unfortunately that really is how it is. You are pretty much bang on that even though DTE says 0 you still have about 6 gallons left.
To do a search type something into the area at the top of any page that says "Search Community" and that will take you to existing threads on using the words you typed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a quick search and skim through of a couple threads I saw on there from around 2008 and such. To be honest I guess I just couldn't believe my eyes, did a quick type up with false hope that someone had figured out a solution I suppose.
Thanks for your quick response. Off the top of your head, ever hear anything with someone trying an after market sending unit or anything for the fuel tank? I do plan on researching it some more and reading some more threads about this issue.
It's hard to believe Toyota has had the same issue for over a decade without a proper fix. But I guess that really shouldn't surprise me. It's not really a major concern I know, and really, it's the only thing so far that's bugged me about this unit. It's more or less me being fastidious, little things like this bug me haha.
I'll definitely make use of the search function more prior to future posts.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
No real fix because they dont consider it a problem from what I have read. Its a fail safe they put in to make sure people are aware they are low on gas and the idea is to give the customer plenty of time to recognize being low and still have enough range to get to a gas station to fill up. It is weird to see the light on and think you are going to run out of gas any second, especially after the DTE goes to 0, but its something you just have to get used to and know you have plenty left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes you wonder if the 100L tank has the same issue. Wonder if they use the same sending unit for both tanks and they just aren’t able to calibrate it properly for the 144L tank. 6 gallon is just a lot for failsafe IMO. It is what it is. I’ll just have to remember I can take it further than normal. On my old vehicles I always filled up at 1/4 tank but no need if I still have over 20L left at empty.
thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, the 100L tank is the very same idea. Thats what my 2012 is and it seems like no matter how long I drive it for the most I can ever put in is about 87L. Wife's old Sienna also same idea. DTE hits 0 and you still have a ton of range left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts