Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't taken it to the dealership yet but has anyone had this problem?

Soemtimes when I turn my 04 sequoia on the fuel guage doesn't move and the gas light is on. The trip computer will say I have 100+ miles to empty. Turn it off and let it sit for a second then turn it on and everything works fine.

Any ideas or know of any tsb's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sometimes when I fill my 05 Tundra, the fuel gauge will stop at 1/2-3/4. It stays like that until I cycle the key. It works fine most of the time.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Common problem. Normally this is a sending unit issue. Be advised most dealerships won't do anything for it unless you can replicate the condition in their presence. What are the odds of that? Use the search feature on this forum and you will see several threads about this topic, some relatively recent.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same problem here. First time it happened, it read just over E, so I stopped to fill up and it only took 5 gal. That was when I new there was an issue. My wife is the main driver of the truck. I had the same issue on my 99 4Runner and I found that if I used the Chevron Techron additive it helped keep it under control. I usually only fill up with Chevron and I don't have the issue anymore. The additive must just be enough to clean the sending unit. Good quality gas seems to keep the unit working correctly.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same problem here. First time it happened, it read just over E, so I stopped to fill up and it only took 5 gal. That was when I new there was an issue. My wife is the main driver of the truck. I had the same issue on my 99 4Runner and I found that if I used the Chevron Techron additive it helped keep it under control. I usually only fill up with Chevron and I don't have the issue anymore. The additive must just be enough to clean the sending unit. Good quality gas seems to keep the unit working correctly.
Thanks, I purchased it as a certified toyota so it has a 3 month bumper to bumper warranty. When they get it fixed I'll post it so you know what parts are replaced.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced 83320-34041 fuel sending unit. So far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same issue in my 04. every now and then it will read on E but i look at the Distance to Empty and it tells me there is gas in there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part they relplaced seems to have fixed it. I only had to a pay $50 deductable but the bill was a little over $200

·
Registered
58 Posts
My '03 started doing that a year or so ago. It happens maybe the day after I fill it up. It will say I'm on empty. Doesn't bother me because I know I'm not. It will start working again when it gets down to about 3/4 tank. Just another little quirk... along with the back window not working... that I can't afford to fix.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Shelby55, the rear window fix is a 30 minute DIY job at most unless you know for certain that your motor is toast. A couple of common hand tools and you are home. Do a search if you haven't I think the TSB is even around here somewhere for it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
BigO, did you get a chance to compare the sending units side by side to see if there was a difference in them or will we all be having to lather, rinse and repeat for this issue going forward.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sorry, I usually ask for the old parts but because it was warranty, I didn't think of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shelby55, the rear window fix is a 30 minute DIY job at most unless you know for certain that your motor is toast. A couple of common hand tools and you are home. Do a search if you haven't I think the TSB is even around here somewhere for it.
Yeah, I've seen the posts and I am planning on trying the fix when the weather warms... but I am scared. I'm afraid I'll screw something up.... and won't be able to get the back cover back on... never did anything like this before... but I will try. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts