Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most cars/trucks I have owned in the past always seem to go roughly 50 miles after topping off the tank before the needle even moves, I have notiticed this truck's needle starts to go down after about 15 miles of driving but when I fill er' up with only "1/8" of a tank left it only takes 18-19 gallons to fill it up. Seems like this truck has more gas at the "bottom" of the tank as to the "top" of the tank that most cars/trucks have. Maybe my truck is different than you guys trucks but I like the thought of paying for 18-19 gallons as I approach empty as suppose to paying for the 26 gallons this truck holds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is the same way. I was thinking about carrying a couple of gallon of gas and see how far down the gauge will go. The most I've put in was 21 gallons and my distance to empty just hit zero.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
So what is the most you have put in on any given fill up? So far my record is 22.355 gallons.

And in case anyone asks, I always fill until the pump stops once then fill just a tiny bit more (usually 2-3 seconds) until the pump stops a second time. I also don't carry spare gas around with me but from the rated capacity of the fuel tank (26.4 gallons) it seems that we can push it quite a bit past the "E" mark before running out of gas. Assuming 15 mpg average and ideal driving conditions to get all the fuel sucked up into the pump then you could go another 60 miles past E before running on air.

In another thread on this site a few weeks back, someone mentioned that it could damage the truck to run it totally empty and they claimed that this is why Toyota set the safety buffer so high. I doubt that it would do serious harm or there would be more warnings about this in the manual and in the truck itself, plus this would just be a plain bad design, but I don't want to risk running out of gas in the middle of nowhere so I just fill up within ~20 miles of E being reported by the computer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine does this too. I pushed it one night, and filled up with 23.3 gallons. The tank is supposed to hold 26.4, so I thought I would give it a shot. With average mileage, I should have been able to push another 50 miles out of it before I filled up, but I wasn't sure. Also had the wife on notice to come get me with 2.5 gallon can...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I only got 21.2 gallons in mine. Same thing, let it stop and did it 3 more times to add a little more. I had 15 miles left on computer to empty.

·
Registered
548 Posts
same here. happened tonight on the way home with no shell station in sight. i knew i had gas, and plenty of it, but I stopped anyway and put a whopping 22.4 gallons of junk gas(lucas) in with an average mpg of 15.4 the last tank. the mpg is usually higher, but I was having fun.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Ran my 5.7 DC 20 miles past fuel light coming on. Trip computer said 0 miles to empty for a few miles. Made me nervous enough to pull over and fill er' up. 21 gallons and that is pump shutting off, shake truck, pump shut off, shake truck, repeat and repeat. Seems like the tank is a bottomless pit but I do like the safety factor of a consertative fuel guage.

My fuel guage moves off F pretty fast too. Have to dito the other folks remarks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed the fuel guage right away. My trade in (01 dodge) wouldn't even budge off of full until 100 miles had gone by after that it went really quick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We put on over 600 miles the first few days and we tested the MPG's. Hwy 18 in town maybe 17 according to my brother and his "idle up to speed driving". By our calculations it is holding five or more gallons in reserve. It has really bothered me the way the needle falls off of the F mark so fast. In your mind you are thinking $3.00 per gallon and the fuel is running out already. My previous Z71 held tight until half and then it was as if you flushed the toilet. I'm going to run this tank down and will post back the results.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My gage said zero miles to empty, drove 10 more miles to a station. Took 22.2 gals after topping it off many times. Drove it 2 miles to home, put 2 1/2 gals additional into it from my gas can by letting it pour in slowly. I believe two things are at work here, both the inability to fully fill the tank at the station and an extra large reserve by Toyota. Afraid to let it run out of gas to see how many miles I could go after it said zero miles left. I bet it is something like 50 more miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More fuel Info 5.7 tundra fuel computer said 0 drove another 25.2 miles and then topped of the tank until i could see the gas in the fill tube. I put a total of 24.203. So that still leaved me about 2 gallons of gas that is still approximately 30 miles left. So 55 miles after the fuel computer says 0 to me is not right any other thoughts.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts