Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership is recommending me to get a fuel injector service/throttle/idle service at 53K miles (2001 Highlander). Is this worth the money, or is there some DIY stuff that can be done here?

I don't feel anything like a degraded acceleration (my opinion) or rough idle. I am not sure either if this would be a big benefit at 53K or roughly 7 years old.

Also, they are recommending to get the power steering fluid flushed and replaced.

I don't feel any problems either with the steering. Although the fluid is dark, I just think I need to top it off. How do you gauge it and what are the signs for it to be replaced?

I recognize it is good preventative maintenance and it wouldn't harm the anything except my pocket. I just want to get confirmation if these services are really needed or they are just selling me their unneeded service.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
These are preventitive maintenance items that are optional (not scheduled in Toyota Maintenance).P/S flush is what I do on my own at about 60K. I use Techron F/I cleaner in the gas tank every 5k.
Throttle body cleaning is not needed at 53K.
Just spray clean the MAF sensor if yu want cheap ins.

53K is not alot of miles on a ny Toyota. Still a baby. engine wise.
LT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
too bad I can't find any techron here in Canada....I might drive down to NY one of these days. Any other recommended brands for cleaning the FI??

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I'm sure any Autozone in Buffalo should have the large black Bottle of Techron to treat a 19 gallon fuel tank. It is the strongest solvent yet safest on the engine and injector pintles.

Chevron gas is also good to use on a regular basis.

Don't know of anthing better than Techron. Unless yu get the commercial grade stuff that comes with the injector flush kit that the dealer uses. stuf is strong and not used too frequently.
I feel injectors can last as long as 200k+ miles if yu take care of them.

LT:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you think that pouring Techron (or other additives) will necessitate an early fuel filter change? Since any deposits prior to the fuel filter will be cleaned out by Techron or other additives, these deposits will be caught by the filter. Does it make sense?

How can you tell if you need to change the fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
There is no scheduled filter change that I see for quite some miles.
The techron doesnt creat a clogged mess of the fuel filter. It is important to understand that the Techron main focus is on the fuel injectors and combustion chambers.
LT:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have been using Techron for at least 10 years since it was recommended by a mechanic I knew. Can get it in R&S Strauss also at autobarn.com. Use it with every oil change (4K miles )

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Run a couple of cans of BG44K through your gas tank. If you can't buy it locally, you can get it online (ebay, etc). Its hands down the best fuel injector cleaner I've ever used.. a bit pricey, but worth the money... Plus its usually the same stuff that the dealerships use when they do an injector cleaning.

BG Company

·
Registered
73 Posts
LifeTech, you mean Techron fuel system cleaner, or Techron fuel injector cleaner? I only found the fuel system cleaner at my local auto store. Are they two seperate products or just one?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I mean "Fuel Injector Cleaner" not Fuel System Cleaner.:)
These are Two different products. The techron should be in a Black bottle for sure.
The Fuel system cleaner I believe is in a Blue bottle.

LT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts