Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently bought a 93 bonus cab 4x4 with the 150 horse 3.0 V6 and automatic trans. It has oversize tires on it so we aren't sure of the MPG figures he is experiencing. However, they seem to be in the low teens.

Before he starts spending money on tuneups and trouble shooting, perhaps he should sell it and get a 5 speed or down size to a 4 cyl?

Does anyone have an idea what the BEST mileage is that he could expect from this truck if it were in top tuneup shape and standard tires?

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne

·
Registered
696 Posts
The best I ever got was traveling at 65 mph or lower with my 93 T-100 SR5 2WD auto with LT235/75R-15 tires aired up at 40lbs was 26 mpg during the day.

How big are the tires he has on his truck? Has the speedo been recalibrated fer the new tire size? My average is around 23 mpg on the highway and just around 16-18 mpg in the city. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own an 93 4runner 4x4,v6, 5 speed for about 10 years now, the best mpg I got is about 16 . But I still love it, never left me on the side of the road.I just got an 06 tacoma 4x4 v6 and I get great gas milage about 22 to 24

·
Registered
220 Posts
My son recently bought a 93 bonus cab 4x4 with the 150 horse 3.0 V6 and automatic trans. It has oversize tires on it so we aren't sure of the MPG figures he is experiencing. However, they seem to be in the low teens.

Before he starts spending money on tuneups and trouble shooting, perhaps he should sell it and get a 5 speed or down size to a 4 cyl?

Does anyone have an idea what the BEST mileage is that he could expect from this truck if it were in top tuneup shape and standard tires?

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne
Dude, a bonus cab? WTF...I think you mean Xtra Cab - as they were known back then. The 3.slow is known to have 2 things: a) no balls and b) terrible gas mileage. In optimal conditions, I would say 17 or 18 mpg....Yota's have never been known for good gas mileage, just reliability and toughness.

Just keep the V6 - if the headgasket's been done, the truck will last forever.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I own the same exact truck, almost. Its a 1993 Extra cab 3.0 V6 4x4 with the 5 speed manual. I get about 15 mpg combined city/hywy. This is on the low end for these trucks as I know they can do better and get in high teens. Since you sons is a auto tranny model I think in the mid teens is the best he's going to see with bigger tires. I've owned three toyotas wih the 3.0 V6 and like everyone else says they are known for reliablity. But they are not anywhere as good on gas as the new toyota engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts