Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20-25 yrs ago, 5.7 liters in a half ton meant 200-250 horsepower, 0-60 in 9-10 seconds, quarter mile in 17-plus, probably a comfortable towing capacity of 6000 pounds or so, and 15 mpg.

Today 5.7 liters in a 6000 pound crew cab half ton means 380 HP and 401 pounds of torque, 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, quarter mile in low 15s or high 14s (competetive with many sports sedans), comfortable towing capacity of 8-9000 pounds... and 14-15 mpg.

We asked for more HP. We wanted half ton trucks that accelerate like BMWs. We encouraged this horsepower war between pickup manufacturers. We asked for bigger, heavier pickups that can move us and our family on long road trips in better comfort. All this has happened and we're still getting the same 14-15 mpg that a comparable truck got years ago, but with much worse performance, alot less horsepower to the wheels, and no real back seat. Some people say the internal combustion engine hasn't made any progress and vehicles really haven't made any improvements in efficiency in decades. I strongly disagree. More power and better performance with no real mileage penalty is just as much progress as same performance but 5 more mpg.

Somebody please explain to me what the problem is. I just don't get it.

From the guy who has owned two different V8 14 mpg trucks used for commuting and occasional heavy hauling, who has never stressed about MPGs, and who would simply get rid of the darn truck and buy a sedan along with an older beater 4x4 pickup for reserve duty if gas became too much.

Pay to play or quit the game. It gets what it gets.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you counted how many threads have been popping up on here asking why a 3 or 400 hp half ton doesn't do 22 mpg all day long?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have gotten 22 on mine on trips..........but who wants to drive like that. IM happy with what I got.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
There isn't a problem....people are just unrealistc about mileage with a big a$$ V8. It cracks me up everytime I see a post about someone just buying a new Tundra, and their first question is how do I get better mileage. Easy answer, take it back and buy a Prius, Corolla, Civic, etc.......!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Have you counted how many threads have been popping up on here asking why a 3 or 400 hp half ton doesn't do 22 mpg all day long?
Well....how does 24mpg sound? Just got back from a 300 mile trip and I got 23.8mpg with the 5.7 AND I have the video and pictures to prove it. I drove from Tucson to Phoenix, which is a very flat stretch of highway for those not familiar with the area. On the way up, my average MPG display topped out at 23.8mpg. I was driving 67mph (cruise control) with the back window rolled down and no A/C. On the way back, the mileage dropped to 21mpg, but I was bringing home some furniture and had the A/C on. I know alot of you aren't willing to drive 67 on the highway, but to me it was a very relaxing drive. Please see below picture and link to the video. The video is to show the driving conditions the truck was in today.

My Truck: 2008 CM 2wd 5.7L Truxedo T-Trax bed cover

MVI_3816.AVI videos from friends & fun videos on webshots

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
My last truck was a Chevy 2500 with a 454. The best I ever got was 12.5 mpg and the worst was 6. No complaints with the 16-17 mpg my Tundra gets.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
dont think any of us are comlaining...if we were we be buying scooters or prius to save gas....
yes there has been a ton of complaining. peopel saying they expect 20mpg + out of the truck. kinda the same ones that gripe about it riding like a truck. makes u wonder why they got a truck if they hate trucks so much.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I gotta say that I am very pleased with my MPG considering how I drive and the fact that this thing weighs about 6000#. I am getting 16.5 - 17 @ 75-80 mph with little ole 4.7.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
15mpg on a 20-year old truck?!? Wow!! You were doing a lot better than most people I know... I don't remember any of my friend's trucks back then ever hitting double-digits except for occasionally when they were driving on the highway... I think the expectation was 8-9 mpg combined average...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
My 5.7 ranges between high 16's in the winter and low 17's in the summer. Certainly not bad for a 6000# truck.
I just spent two weeks driving a 4.8L Silverado and only got 13.7 with it. :eek:
Makes the Tundra seem like an economy car.:first:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well....how does 24mpg sound? Just got back from a 300 mile trip and I got 23.8mpg with the 5.7 AND I have the video and pictures to prove it. I drove from Tucson to Phoenix, which is a very flat stretch of highway for those not familiar with the area. On the way up, my average MPG display topped out at 23.8mpg. I was driving 67mph (cruise control) with the back window rolled down and no A/C. On the way back, the mileage dropped to 21mpg, but I was bringing home some furniture and had the A/C on. I know alot of you aren't willing to drive 67 on the highway, but to me it was a very relaxing drive. Please see below picture and link to the video. The video is to show the driving conditions the truck was in today.

Well, that is great milage, but I've got you beat. Sorry, no video though. On a 180 mile trip from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu City at an average speed of 70 mph with my 5.7L dbl cab limited, I got 37 mpg from Vegas to Searchlight, and averaged 33.2 for the entire trip! No Joke. Of course, I had a tail wind at low guestimate of 35-40 mph, and you could say that pretty much the entire trip was slightly downhill to boot. BUT BOY WAS IT FUN TO WATCH that trip calculation!

·
Registered
471 Posts
When gas goes past $3 to $4 again we'll all be whining.

You can get a 400hp engine to get 20+ mpg. My 4.6L supercharged '03 Cobra (4000lbs) would get 23-24mpg on the highway all day long. The new Taurus SHO (365hp) is rated at 25mpg.

The problem is when you expect a large vehicle (wind drag and rolling resistance) to get 20+ mpg at 70mpg. Even the new hybrid or XFE trucks and SUVs struggle to get 21mpg. I'm OK with my 14-15mpg. But I can clearly see that MPG falls off when I get over 65-70mph. I've seen my instant mpg fall as low as 6.5mpg when running 80mph with a utility trailer. It was at 10.5mpg while at 70mpg.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I get great mileage in my truck. No complaints here. My only complaint is it isn't a 2011 6.7L Ford Diesel :).

I average between 17.5-20. Very happy about that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm curious to see if these results were compared to a hand calculation. I've taken a trip where my instantaneous display read as high as that but the hand calculations didn't come anywhere near it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great initial post / perspective.

That said, we need to continually raise the bar on both performance and efficiency. I think the 5.7 Tundra does that exactly. Sure I wish I got a few more MPG but I'd not give up performance for MPG...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw an article on the history of the SS badge Chevy uses. The stats for those cars in the 70's and 80's were atrocious. The Camaro from the late seventies had a four barrel carb on the old 350 and pushed out, what, 160 or 170 horse from the factory? The prius almost has that now. If not the 350, the prius could probably give that 305 a run for it's money. Yes, performance and efficiency are both on the rise. Across the board. But at what cost?

I'd give up a couple of HP or mpg's if I could have a bed that I wasn't scared of denting* whenever I throw a shovel in the back.

*and it's not only Toyota. My 2005 Avalanche was as bad in the sheet metal department. You just couldn't tell with all the plastic coating it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been driving a Nissan Xterra, which has a 3.3 V6 with apx. 170hp, and I get 14-17 MPG. (I live in Canada but my mileage numbers are in USGallons because thats what I work with. Stupid Imperial gallons screwing everything up up here!) To me THAT is rediculous! If I can get the same mileage, even slightly worse, out of my new Tundra with an engine that has 2 more cylindes, is almost twice the displacement and with more than twice the horsepower, in a truck that must weigh close to twice the weight (just a guess), I'll be THRILLED!!!

It's all the people out there who drive a truck because it's the cool thing to do. I bought mine 'cause I need it, and I don't really give a crap what mileage it gets, I need it. It's the soccer moms/dads driving the kids to soccer/school in the crewmax complaining that they don't get the mileage that they used to out of the old uncool minivan that drive me nuts.
Bottom line:
You need a truck, you buy a truck, you use your truck and you get truck mileage (which in my mind is closer to 10mpg).
You need a people carrier, you don't buy a truck, you buy a minivan/small suv/crossover thingy and you get good mileage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts