Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

it's been a while since my las visit....... today i need your wisdom...... today my 2000AC tundra was acting funny....... eveytime I stop it shuts down...... i was driving with low fuel this past two months...... quarter tank.....empty......quarter tank.....empty...... today i had to keep my foot accelerating on the pedal to avoid it from stalling........i start the engine then it dies...... i was low on gas (lamp blinking) so i managed to get to the service station and put some gas...... drived a couple miles and then it worked just fine..... no stalling...... i'm guessing if the fuel pump is going dead....... i forgot to mention that i had a mil this morning (before the stalling thing) but i disconnected the battery to reset the ecu.......so now i can't read the code with the OBDII scanner.......the tec said the fuel pump was giving negative numbers under acceleration....... but with no code on the dashboard he couldn't do anything until the mil goes on again.

What do u think......anyone got some stories about fuel pumps....... Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes...running the tank empty will shorten/kill yer fuel pump since it's lubricated and cooled by the fuel. Kinda like running yer engine low on coolant and expecting it to last longer before it dies. ;)

Did you hook up a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail to see what kind of pressures yer running? How many miles do you have on yer Tundra? How good is the gas out there? I guess you could pull yer fuel filter and replace it as precaution. Other than that...yer gonna have to drop the tank and pull the fuel pump out and replace it. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE......replaced fuel filter...... mud...mud.... almost clogged, very bad gas down here....... after replacing filter my baby is good for now...... i'll see if the failure appears again....... don't have a pressure gauge to check pump.......she seems to be running good now..... let's see what happens......here the fuel pumps is 550$ (US dollars) o_O i hope it's not needed to replace for now......... she's 130500 on the odometer......

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'd go ahead and drop the tank and see how much crud you have left in the tank. Git the tank cleaned out and clean out the filter on the fuel pump, too. ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would stop going to the gas station that you have been using and drop the tank and clean it out and start a new!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i have changed the fuel pump out on my 92 silverado once. it was next to impossible to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump, but supposedly it could be done. i took the bed off and had easy access to the top of the fuel tank. only disconnects were the fuel filler tube on the side of the bed, the brake light harness's, and a ground wire. gm made it simple to do this. would it be easier to remove the bed (or slide it back) on the gen 1 tundra too? i honestly have no idea but would like to know if i ever have to tackle this one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts