Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question, or I may not be getting this.

I have the 5.7 L. Supposed to have a 26.4 Gal Tank. However,

When I filled 2 times ago, light came on and almost empty filled 22.070 Gals. Today light came on and filled again soon after, 21.699 Gals.

Is there this much fuel in the truck, up from the tank? Approx. 4.4 Gals?

Or maybe I got a smaller tank?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yup! I always figure if my light ever comes on I have about 40 gallons left in the tank. If I run a little with the light on (maybe 15 miles..no more) I can only ever put just about 22 gallons in. No need to worry. Toyota is just looking out for us ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup! I always figure if my light ever comes on I have about 40 gallons left in the tank. If I run a little with the light on (maybe 15 miles..no more) I can only ever put just about 22 gallons in. No need to worry. Toyota is just looking out for us ;)
I thought they might have some sort of built in reserve. Saved my a** one time. Left Colorado Springs to Cheyenne, WY thinking I had plenty of fuel.

Trip meter said 0, Needle was below E, and I went about another 25 Miles to the next exit. I was worried to say the least, but all worked out.

Be careful and get gas at every exit in WY. Start looking when you hit half a tank!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Strange question, or I may not be getting this.

I have the 5.7 L. Supposed to have a 26.4 Gal Tank. However,

When I filled 2 times ago, light came on and almost empty filled 22.070 Gals. Today light came on and filled again soon after, 21.699 Gals.

Is there this much fuel in the truck, up from the tank? Approx. 4.4 Gals?

Or maybe I got a smaller tank?
I did the same thing yesterday on my first fill up. Said I had 25 miles to empty (CrewMax limited) yet filled it up with 21.7 gallons. So, unless I'm getting 5 miles per gallon I guess we're Toyota has "covered" us with a 4 gallon hidden reserve.................hmmm. unless I am getting 5 miles per gallon:) :) .

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Same experience here. The warning light comes on and I can usually go another 30-50 miles, even a good distance after the computer display says "0 miles remaining". Then when I fill up with the needle on or below E it usually only takes 22-23 gallons at the most. Someone mentioned in another post that this is because the Tundra can actually be damaged if you run it totally empty but I am not sure about that and it isn't mentioned in the manual. I would like to know for sure since I usually like to run the truck down to the last 0.5-1 gallon before refilling. Also, I find it irritating as heck that the computer display insists on showing the "Low Fuel" message all the time when it is near empty. Once it is low I prefer to watch the real-time MPG indicator so I can optimize my speed to nurse it to the next exit. Instead I have to keep pressing the selector switch to see the MPG indicator and redisplay it periodically. Oh well, now that I know empty really means 3-4 gallons left then I can safely ignore it for a good while.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I began questioing this on my last fillup, not todays.

The light came on as I was travelling between two towns, no gas station between. Only about 25 miles though. Soon after getting on the highway the yellow gas light came on (oh sh*t) I thought. By the time I got to the next town, the needle was practically on E.

However, gas in this town was $2.81 (Shell, near Interstate). I did not really want to fill up there, as I go to a Flying J about 15 miles from this station. Watching the needle real closely and made it to this station - $2.63. Surprised me when it filled with only a tad over 22 Gals. Also surprises me that a gas station can stay in business, when gas is already high, by charging almost 20 cents more per gallon!

I could handle going back to those 99 Cent and $1.09/ Gallon days though!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I began questioing this on my last fillup, not todays.

However, gas in this town was $2.81 (Shell, near Interstate). I did not really want to fill up there, as I go to a Flying J about 15 miles from this station. Watching the needle real closely and made it to this station - $2.63. Surprised me when it filled with only a tad over 22 Gals. Also surprises me that a gas station can stay in business, when gas is already high, by charging almost 20 cents more per gallon!

I could handle going back to those 99 Cent and $1.09/ Gallon days though!
Try living in Los Angeles. $3.35 for 87.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try living in Los Angeles. $3.35 for 87.
Sweet! Not!

I just cannot believe how the prices have taken off. It was here for $1.98, about 6 weeks ago!

Now it is about 2.75. .77 X 22 = $17 more per fill up. 40% increase in 6 weeks! I wish I could adjust my wage like that by changing the sign! :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly wondering why we have not heard on the news about someone highjacking a gas rig!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gas price increases - Oh, don't you remember, the speculators were worried about the British Sailors kidnapped by Iran. When that one ended, they said that refinery repairs were causing the problem. I think GREED is responsible for the increase. I did notice that prior to the election, prices dropped dramatically and have been edging up since until the recent spike. Is it possible BIG OIL was trying to influence the election???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Someone mentioned in another post that this is because the Tundra can actually be damaged if you run it totally empty but I am not sure about that and it isn't mentioned in the manual.
I did see a recommendation in the manual to not run below 1/4 tank. That is BS, if they are advertising a 26 gal tank there should be 26 usable gallons. 4 gals cuts into usable range substantially.

I'll test it on the next long trip, taking an extra gas can in case I actually run out.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I think most manufacturers put in a reserve between 10% and 15% of capacity... the Tundra may be at the upper end of this. Still, that is a little weird, but I guess it is better to be safe!
Gas here is $2.89/gal for 87... yeah, I love how "maintenance" is a recent problem for refineries over the last couple of years... apparently refineries weren't maintained for the previous 20 years... :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
It takes weeks and months for gas prices to go down but for some weird reason, it only takes days for it to shoot back up. Never experienced this phenomenon prior to this administration.

Oh and just released yesterday in the news, 3 of the top 10 most profitable companies in America are oil companies.

20 most profitable companies | 1 | FORTUNE

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
It takes weeks and months for gas prices to go down but for some weird reason, it only takes days for it to shoot back up. Never experienced this phenomenon prior to this administration.

Oh and just released yesterday in the news, 3 of the top 10 most profitable companies in America are oil companies.

20 most profitable companies | 1 | FORTUNE
Prices go up by the hour around here... it isn't unusual to see two price increases in one day! But as you said... it takes weeks for price drops...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Humboldt County has two petro companies and guess what we pay for gas.....$3.49 for 87 and I actually watched it jumped 23 cents in two days. Heck its probably $3.59 today.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Humboldt County has two petro companies and guess what we pay for gas.....$3.49 for 87 and I actually watched it jumped 23 cents in two days. Heck its probably $3.59 today.
Are you anywhere near Vacaville, CA? I have relatives there! Gas in California is always much higher... but then again so are homes and land and that factors into the price for sure!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I don't think it's a safety feature to have the "E" light go on with 4+ gallons left if people will eventually see it and go "OK, I guess I have at least 60 miles before empty" It's human nature to not heed warning signals that arrive too soon. It would be better to more accurately display fuel status and warnings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think it's a safety feature to have the "E" light go on with 4+ gallons left if people will eventually see it and go "OK, I guess I have at least 60 miles before empty" It's human nature to not heed warning signals that arrive too soon. It would be better to more accurately display fuel status and warnings.
I disagree.

I think it's about right.

I don't want my light to come on, then I have 5 miles to pull over. Especially when I'm traveling, and not totally familiar with the road.

Heck, I was driving back from St Louis last weekend with my son, and we were looking for a place to go to the bathroom and grab a quick bite at a fast foot restraunt. We passed 1 exit b/c it didnt' have a fast food joint...this on I44 in Missouri. I'll be dammed if it wasn't another 20 miles to the next exit with a place to eat-n-piss.

That kindof thing happens all the time. If my light just came on, and I wanted to go down to the next exit b/c I want a Shell vs Exxon station...then I'd of been screwed with a light comes on and you've got 5, 10, 15 miles to dead on side of road.

~50-60 miles is about right for "light on" to "dead on side of road" interval, to me.

ps: i have no clue if the reserve is as big on the 4.7's as the 5.7's....heck, do they even have the same size tank? beats me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts