Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled up last night and once the pump automatically shut off, I gave it one more short customary squeeze. When I started up my truck, the guage only came up to around 3/4 full. I had about a 3 mile drive back to my home, and noticed it was moving up, but just slightly. This morning, it read full?

What happened?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your fuel gauge/sender is designed to respond s l o w l y to level changes...if it was fast responding, your needle would swing every which way with every turn, and whenever you accelerated and decelerated (as the fuel sloshed around in the tank).

·
Registered
247 Posts
I filled up last night and once the pump automatically shut off, I gave it one more short customary squeeze. When I started up my truck, the guage only came up to around 3/4 full. I had about a 3 mile drive back to my home, and noticed it was moving up, but just slightly. This morning, it read full?

What happened?
Your Needles are pressed on. So they may be pressed on too much so they are rubbing and resisting movement. Take it back to the dealer.

·
Random Poster
414 Posts
Your fuel gauge/sender is designed to respond s l o w l y to level changes...if it was fast responding, your needle would swing every which way with every turn, and whenever you accelerated and decelerated (as the fuel sloshed around in the tank).
My 04 tundrta does the same thing, it slowly moves to full after a fill up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I fill mine up witht he engine off keys removed. When I turn the truck on it reads full after fill up.

This is the same for all the vechiels I have used since 92.

I did notice on the 92 super duty that the needles are slow when the truck is runing during fill up, but with in a few miles it will read full.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Possibilities:
1) Bad gauge
2) bad sending unit
3) bad float(temporary stuck)
4) possible short
It may be the float temporary was hung up and it may never do it again...however, chances are it will and you'll have to take it in.

·
Registered
124 Posts

What happened?
My '06 did it on the first fill up ... after a few miles it crept up .... haven't noticed it since ... you tend to notice every little thing when you purchase a new vehicle .... seems to be working fine now. Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My '06 did it on the first fill up ... after a few miles it crept up .... haven't noticed it since ... you tend to notice every little thing when you purchase a new vehicle .... seems to be working fine now. Good luck!
That's exactly what mine did! Actually, the first and second refuelings had no guage problems, but it was the third time I filled up that I noticed this. In fact, I had only driven about 85 miles after the second fill-up, then filled it back up for the third time to check my mpg's. It was after this third fill-up that the guage stuck at just over 3/4 tank, then slowly creeped up from there.

My '04 Taco took a few minutes to rise completely, but I don't think it had an electric guage??

BTW...thanks for the replies thus far fellas!

·
Registered
579 Posts
It sounds like something is binding a little bit too much.
Mine shows full right after starting up after a fill. But I would not worry too much about it if it eventually comes all the way up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...I put another 170 miles on my truck today and decided to fill up again and check the guage as well as the fuel economy. Guage came up to full immediately! MPG's are up to 22.4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts