Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an engine light for an evap code on my '02 Sequoia. Independent parts store and dealer said it was a leaking Filler hose and gas cap. Dealer quoted me $700 to repair No way! I looked the parts up. Rock Auto lists a filler tube and gas cap for $150. Looking at the picture, it looks like there are two clamps and two bolts. Has anyone replaced theirs and can describe the process to me? I don't have a garage or any special tools, but I do have pliers, sockets and screw drivers. I'd really like to have the light available for when something real important breaks, not because my truck is farting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is it P0442? I get that periodically. For the time being I just clear the code whenever it pops up with an bluetooth OBD2 reader that stays in the truck. I replaced the gas cap, which did reduce the frequency of the light coming on, but didn't actually fix the problem. I'm curious to see how this plays out for you.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Get the code and let us know what it is. Could be a lot of different things. Replacing the gas is an easy place to start for an evap. leak code but depends on what code it is. You are well into the age range where you start looking at vacuum lines because they age, get hard, crack, split etc...and cause leaks. Checking and replacing any bad vacuum lines is usually the next step if it is just a leak code. I usually just replace them ALL at once when there is a leak code to make sure you don't miss something. Use the proper size vacuum line and if you can afford it the stuff from Toyota seems better quality than the stuff you will find at the parts store. Those two things I would say cover the majority of the evap. leak problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got an engine light for an evap code on my '02 Sequoia. Independent parts store and dealer said it was a leaking Filler hose and gas cap. Dealer quoted me $700 to repair No way! I looked the parts up. Rock Auto lists a filler tube and gas cap for $150. Looking at the picture, it looks like there are two clamps and two bolts. Has anyone replaced theirs and can describe the process to me? I don't have a garage or any special tools, but I do have pliers, sockets and screw drivers. I'd really like to have the light available for when something real important breaks, not because my truck is farting.
Yeah, its simple enough that even I did it in about 20 minutes. Never, EVER go to a dealership unless there is a warranty issue involved. There are always more-better and less-expensive options than a dealership. There are YOUTUBE's showing the process on Tundras which is extremely similar; that's what I watched before I took my shot. Dad always said, "give it a try yourself. If you fang it up, you were gonna pay someone to do it in the first place. MAYBE you'll get it right and be able to help someone else save money too". GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, apparently, to fix the Check Engine light, I needed to change the six year old battery and change the positive terminal connector. Your guess is as good as mine on this, but after the change and a fuel fill, the light went out. Ill come back with updates if there are any.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it appears I just reset the sensor. Light is back on. And here I thought Toyota fixed themselves! Ill have to hurry up and order a filler neck and cap before the snow flies! On an unrelated note, I've noticed someone has removed my front skid plate. How rude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts