Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 double cab - its the smaller line that runs under the main fuel line and goes to the smaller hole plug next to the main fill on the tank.

Dealer discovered this after check engine and a few other lights were on and they performed evaporations system check - gross leak etc.

I have about an inch of the original tube coming out of the tank and about 8 inches of it is missing - my question is;

is it a good idea to treat this like a plumbing repair and insert a stem into the remaining line/tube/pipe, clamping it with vapor/fuel line hose between?

Will a good basic repair job be enough to put all the check engine lights out?

Is this line a fuel overflow line or is it just for the vapor?

Toyota wants me to part with $1700 to replace the whole fuel tank and fuel line, filler components.

Anyone else done this? Appreciate it anyone want to chip in, thanks, Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Of course the dealer wants you to change the whole tank, that's what they do, the replace parts, they dont fix anything anymore. Given my handle on this site I am sure you can guess which option I would go with but even taking away the fact that I am cheap, I am thinking you already answered your own question. Do the cheap repair to start. Honestly, what do you have to lose by giving it a shot? You would be out maybe 10 bucks and an hour of your time, and worst case, it doesnt work.
I cant see from the pics if thats a vent line or overflow but guessing vent or you would have been smelling a lot of gas for a while. If you do need to replace the tank I would be looking for one at a scrap yard, not a new one. Good luck and post back how you do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Id do a cheap fix just like Cheapskate too. Like he said what have you got to lose trying?
Besides' your fix my even last longer than theirs will since their just doing it the exact same way it was before I'm sure. Well' unless they change something on it too it will happen again at some point?
But' ya I'd sure try it, most likely a few times at that price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank for your feedback guys. I still haven't tackled this yet.

Before I get started I want to know if the line that has been damaged is a VAPOR only line or does it do an OVERFLOW job and carry liquid gas also?

I've looked at different diagrams and still can't work it out. I never do any mechanical work and am extremely green haha!

I do have a new idea though - if its just a vapor line then I figured I would slide some FUEL RATED PIPE over both remaining tubes (using clamps to secure).

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Does it go from the top of the tank to the filler neck? If yes should be overflow, if it goes to the canister its a vent line.

Reactions: jimmy1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks cheapskate - it goes to the tank via that smaller inlet next to the main fuel inlet (see photo circled red).

I noticed it started at a small purpose built hole in the filler neck. I guess when it over flows

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Your idea is still good. Get some fuel rated tubing, patch it up and you should be good to go.
The question I have is what happened in the first place that this piece is gone?

Reactions: jimmy1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah so, my engine light and a few other lights came on all at once and I took it in to the shop (there was an airbag recall so I was getting that done) and there was an evap code and they said it looks like a rodent had chewed away at that pipe under there.....both ends looked all chewed up and the plastic line in between was just gone, about 8-10 inches of it. There is also an after market cable under there that does the back-up camera and that was damaged to and stopped working.
Anyway, it happened when my wife drove the truck and stayed over night on mount hood....maybe she drove over a big branch and that took this fuel vent line out...? I just don’t know, or it was a combination of both? A lot of squirrels and rodents and homeless people stealing gas around here so could have been a bum under there trying to hack through the line to get fuel,....it happens around here. There you have it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did my repair, reset computer/check engine lights, drove around for longer than it took for the check engine light to come on last time, put 1/2 a tank of gas in there and voila, all seems fine and dandy. CE light hasn't come on and I think I'm sweet, for now at least haha.

I used some fuel rated hose, I had all different sizes but I think 1/2 inch slid over what was left of my remaining original hoses.

Then I used those metal clamps with the key attached as I could only slide 1 hand in there at a time and this made it easy to secure hose into place. Removed negative cable from battery for a couple minutes to reset the CE lights etc and thats it.

I'm pretty sure the line I repaired is just for vapors to exit then recirculate back to the tank when filling.

Maybe this fix will be good for now, for a little or for a long time, who knows. Still, I can always get a new fuel tank down the road if needed with the knowledge that I gave it my best shot.

This is the first time I have ever worked on any vehicle I have ever owed - its amazing what the thought of parting with $1700 will push you into!

That white cable you can see in some of the images is for the after market back up camera - that also has a 'bite' in through it - that's gonna be next in line for replacement and If that goes well, I'll be ready to open my own auto shop!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your responses people - appreciate it. Beth I'm still getting my head around this site and replied directly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So we blew the hose. No debris. The tank will fill but have to go as slow as possible. Darn truck only has 120000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Nice work Jimmy. You said it, when you're faced with a large bill from the dealer its amazing how far one is willing to go to DIY. And in this case you were good enough to take some pictures. So you saved yourself a crap load of cash, did it yourself, and you were thoughtful enough to take pictures and post them here which can only help others in the future. The sad part is what you did is becoming less regular on this site. Too many times someone joins, asks a question, then never comes back to say how they took care of their problem. Good on ya Jimmy.

Reactions: Jonesy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts