Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble at the gas pumps. The fuel nozzle keeps shutting off prematurely. I took it to the dealer I purchased the car from, a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and I told them the problem. They charged me $70.00 to go over and put fuel in the tank to see what it was doing!! As if I hadn't been clear. Then they told me it was the filter that took the fumes and recycled them back into the tank. Then they asked if I had purchased the extended warranty on the used car when I purchased it. When I said, "No", they said the charge would be $1200.00 to fix it for parts and labor! When I had originally called to make the appointment, the man said it would be between $70.00 and several hundred dollars to repair it. Am I crazy or was I being taken for a ride? Is this the true cost of replacing a fuel filter or should I look for a new car dealership?

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is absurd. How slow do you need to fill it? It will trip on the lowest setting? My assumption is that either there is a foreign object in the gooseneck pipe from the fill hole to the tank, or the flap at the bottom of this pipe (to keep gas from pouring out in a rollover accident) is corroded semi-closed.

If you can just fill more slowly, I would obviously do that. The filter has nothing to do with this, it's inside the tank after the space for gas, but before the pump.

The charge is probably to replace the tank assembly. I wouldn't pay for that unless it was really bad. Or do they assume the vent from the tank is bad, and want to replace the vapor canister etc?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This report makes me think I should add water absorbing additive to the gas more often, if the filler pipe roll over flap is subject to corrosion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts