Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally have some progress pics for you all,, so I thought I’d start the thread regarding my full air-ride suspension that AIM Industries has been using my truck for. Aim Industries,, has had my 08 4x4 RCSB for 5 weeks now using it as a template for their front Air Strut adjustable suspension as well as their rear 4-Link Air spring suspension. (towing kit)
Some of you may have been following it on another thread, but visible progress is being made now, so I’m starting a thread to cover both the progress to completion of the work, as well as a full test review to include fit/finish/quality of the components, and fabrication work. I will also give a full review of the final ride improvement (if any) during day to day use as well as towing with a significant load, and whether or not part of this suspension upgrade will have a positive effect on the wonderful drive line bump many of us suffer from.
Here goes.

I just went to “visit” my truck yesterday and Aaron was kind enough to go over the current state of my truck and the work complete up to this point.

Here are a few pics of the front air-strut as it sits in my truck. This is Aim’s “lifted” 4x4 version of the Air Strut. It is built around a leveled height of +3” from OEM. The air bags are adjustable for a +- 3” from this height.

Here is a pic before any work was done…

Pictured here as she was torn down to begin measurements and CAD design work.:eek:

Here is a pic of the overall “completed” front passenger side. (bags are at 0psi in all pics) I say “completed” since it is about 98% here. They still need to weld the bracket for the air line onto the frame, and install both a limiting strap and an extended bumps stop onto the front to help protect the front end from “extreme travel” conditions.

Here are a couple closer shots of the UCA Aim had to design to make the Air strut work on the Tundra front end,,, also shown is the adjustable mounting bracket that the Air Strut’s top mount locates onto the Tundra with.

That pretty much covers the front as far as pics go. Be aware that if anyone chooses to go this route,,, you will need to re-use the ball joints from the OEM UCA’s,,, Toyota doesn’t supply them as a separate part to date,,, you must order an entire UCA to get a “new” set of ball joints. This set up is not the only one Aim has been building off of my truck. They also have built the needed components to install the front Air Struts onto Tundra’s that are stock height, lowered up to 6”, and a 6” – 9” drop that requires the use of Aim’s new lower control arms. Basically, they’ve built the full front system for 4 different “types” of Tundra front suspension,,, that should cover what most of us will do to our trucks that are anything lower than a 6” lift.
On to the rear 4-Link… Not much here yet,, but they are on target to get my truck completed be the end of next week,, so I’ll be updating this thread as I can.
Here is a pic of the mounting bracket to fix the front portion of the 4-link bars. At this point the bracket has been mocked up for fitment, bolted on and tacked. It will then be removed, welded completely so a jig may be made from it’s finished dimensions to manufacture the kits after they are done with my truck. It will then be powder coated red to match the truck and installed back onto the truck.

The axle side of the 4-link will end up looking something like this…

I took this pic of a truck frame that is in Aim’s shop,,, It’s not a roller,,, I believe it’s just used as an example. I took a picture of this for reference and to show everyone the type/size of hardware Aim uses on their suspensions. This stuff is BEEFY,, I couldn’t believe how,,,,, “overbuilt” it looked to me when I first saw it.

Aim uses 1” Heim Joints and ¼” plate steel on all of this type of suspension stuff. (At least on the 4-link rear anyway) The plate steel is cut in house using their massive CNC Laser and/or their CNC plasma tools. They cut it all out of 4’x8’ sheet stock, bend where appropriate using some type of massive “bender/break” that I haven’t seen yet, and then fully Mig weld the joints. I didn’t get the dimensions/specs of the tubing they use for the 4-link arms,,, but it’s pretty darn big. To give you an idea,,, these are the 1” Heim Joints they use within the 4-link suspension… So the Heim Joints you see in the above pic are these….

Pretty sure they’ll hold up to anything most would throw at them!
So that’s it for now. They’ve given me a great deal on some air controls for the truck that I will be installing after I get her back. When finished, I will be able to control and get feedback from the pressure within each bag at each corner. I will control it from within the cab via pressure gauges and control it via electrical switches. I will be installing Aim’s “turn key” compressor/controls kit that will fill a 5 gal. storage tank. Since I’m already putting on-board air on her,,, I opted to order a train horn from Aim as well. I will also be tapping off of one of the ports of the tank so that I can hook up an exterior air hose that I will use for filling my truck/ATV/trailer tires when I’m at the dunes etc.
I will continue to update this post as all the progress takes place. Stay tuned.!

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Awesome update bro! My front setup for the "lowering" part of this project shipped out on Friday. So I will be doing a thread on it before long. Cool deal on the train horns as I have the Hornblasters 240XL setup up with (4) horns at present. I will run mine off my AirRide setup too, and use the tanks currently for my AirRide or just sell them since I need at least a (5) gal tank instead of the (2) 2 gallons ones I have now. I did this with my Magnum and it worked flawlessly. Looking forward to the completed rear 4-link pics too!

Also make sure to ask them to add a port so you can plug you own airhose up and air up your own tires, etc. Heck you can air up your neighborhoods tires too! LOL

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Wow:thumb: That's looks like quality work from the pictures. Keep us informed on final out come. How much longer before its back on the road? They will need to have it Aligned at the ride height that you will normally be using it at, and it would be good to know how sensitive the front end Alignment will be to future ride heights changes. So far it looks its going to be awesome mod.

Take Good Care:typing:.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Also I am wondering if there is a difference in the 4.7 and 5.7 ball joints? I did find them for the 4.7 for the 2007. Year would be the same I am sure, but wondering if the engine size would make a difference.

2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA 4.7L 4663cc 285cid V8 FI [2UZFE] : Suspension : Ball Joint Price Core Total
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1015281
Front Lower Right

$70.79 $0.00 $70.79
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1015282
Front Left Lower

$70.79 $0.00 $70.79

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They will need to have it Aligned at the ride height that you will normally be using it at, and it would be good to know how sensitive the front end Alignment will be to future ride heights changes.
I am having it aligned by a seperate shop after Aim completes the build. A duning bud of mine runs the service center for a local Ford dealership here in town. He is as anal as anyone I've met and I trust his work completely, so he is gonna do the final alignment for me. I don't plan on running it at any height other than pre/mod height,,, I'll just be able to adjust the level for the load I am dealing with. The truck fits into my single bay of the garage, but not the double bay,,, so the adjustability will also allow me to lower it a bit to get into the double bay so I can do work on it in the shade.;)

I'm really hoping that the 4-link will get rid of the drive line bump. I have to say, if I didn't have that issue with my Tundra, I most likely wouldn't have signed up for this mod,,, "free" or not. The drive line bump makes me CRAZY,,, so it'll be worth the work if it just gets rid of that. (and doesn't create anything else negative.:eek:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Definately a sweet setup...

Durability of heims on a DD is not that great, which is why many people starting going with rebuildable heims or johnny joints. Ballistic Fabrication has a great selection of rebuildable heims and they are good people too (highly respected on some offroad forums like pirate4x4 if you wanted to do research). That may be something you want to look into before they finish up and get you all dialed in.

Ballistic Fabrication - Manufacturers of Precision Offroad Fabrication Supplies

EDIT: I meant to add that its not that they arent ok for DDing, but under harsh road conditions (salt, mud, sand, etc) they can begin to break down and become sloppy or noisy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry gents,,, I've only been keeping the TT thread updated cause after the first few weeks,,, nobody really seemed interested in this over here.

I'll get it caught up within the next day or two....;)

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,567 Posts
I've wondered if air bags could be added to the front end for an adjustable lift, better approach angle, breakover angle, and not sacrifice the daily drive. I guess this answers my question, but not the other one. . . expected cost?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shop that's building this set up sells the front air struts for $795 for the pair I believe. That includes the needed UCA replacements as seen in the pics.

Not sure on the rules here, so if you would like more info on them, PM me and I'll shoot you the details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts