Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been an ongoing build and I've never had the time to post up here. I've done a full build from the Heads to TailPipeS. That's right TailPipeS! This build includes S&S Jet Hot coated Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats, Custom 'H' Pipe custom built by me, Hand built mufflers (custom built by me), and Old School Nascar style tailpipes coming out each side.

I did the build in several phases with dyno pulls after each phase! Let's see if I can get pictures up!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After taking my family to MonsterJam I decided I wanted the truck to make a little more noise, but I didn't have a lot of money. I knew I like the Borla muff but at $144 a piece from Summit, I knew I had to come up with another option! So I made my own mufflers and 'Y' pipe with scrap pieces of exhaust I had laying around.

I bought tubing at Autozone and drilled holes

Made some endcaps.

Made some cannisters

I put my O2 bungs for the cats right on the muffs to save space and money

put it all together

And viola! Flow through style mufflers on the cheap!

Here they are with an 'H' pipe that I made out of some old Ford Ranger exhaust tubing I had laying around.

Here's the 'after'

As you can see, more power is to be had by getting rid of the restrictive exhaust system by Toyota! But how does it sound? Plug in your good speakers! This dyno session was the 242HP pull.

If you have any questions please feel free to post up!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Was the packing material in the muffler, regular insulation or special exhaust insulation?

Neat DIY project that worked out great!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These mufflers were packed with just household insulation, just to see if I could build mufflers. I've built a bunch for friends using Stainless Steel Wool and they've worked out great!

I'm going to do a full off road version with no cats, when I drop the exhaust to build that, I'll cut open the mufflers and see what it looks like in there and re build em with ss wool!

The sound is unreal the way it is, it's too bad to change that but I wanna know what's in there!

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
What size tubing did you use? What gauge? Whats the length of the canisters and the overall length of the muffs. I saw this on horsepower tv a few weeks back and was intrigued. Good to see someone actually made them and put them on a Tundra.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size tubing did you use? What gauge? Whats the length of the canisters and the overall length of the muffs. I saw this on horsepower tv a few weeks back and was intrigued. Good to see someone actually made them and put them on a Tundra.
16gauge I believe, it's all 2.5" tubing straight through. i missed the HP TV, that would be interesting to see!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Pretty sick truck. Good job on the mufflers, sounds mean. Good to see the gains you achieved. Points are heading your way for innovation and HP.:heh::tu:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you currently have S&S Longtubes dual 2.5" H pipe is a must! The power is unreal. When I get on the freeway and let loose it just keeps pulling. I don't even have my 4.88's, I keep blowing up rear ends, I can't wait to see how it feels when it shifts deeper into it's powerband.

For those of you who have shorties go true dual with stock tubing, I think it's 2", I'm very confident there would be gains there as well.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
On the Gen 2 5.7 it necks up and down all over the map, but from the cats to the muffler it is 2 1/8" (two pipes) which seems to be the average. I believe it is 2 3/8" on the Gen 1.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the Gen 2 5.7 it necks up and down all over the map, but from the cats to the muffler it is 2 1/8" (two pipes) which seems to be the average. I believe it is 2 3/8" on the Gen 1.
On gen 1 it's 2 3/8 after the 'y' pipe. I would go dual with the same diameter as the pre 'y' pipe tubing which is I think 2" or try 2 1/4".

On a 5.7 I would run 2.5 all the way back.

Either truck would benefit by true dual. An 'H' pipe would also benefit!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sounds pretty nice :tu:
Consider 18-24" of 3"pipe on final exit

Agian,GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That's because tundra solutions is way better!:heh: more innovation points sent.

·
7,925 Posts
Very interesting stuff. I have been working on fuel economy research for years and one of the areas I have wanted to address is the exhaust. Kudos to you for your work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts