Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this in the audio page, but figured i would post it here since ya'll have the newer tundra, and possible have done this or at least thought about it......

Scenario: Im a student at Clemson, during Football season everyone piles into my truck to go tailgating before the football game. I have 2007 DC SR 5 JBL model. It has great sound and projects it well, but want a little more uummfff if you know what I mean. So I would like create a box that will fix in the back of the bed against the back of the bed that will have speakers/subs/amps. In order to run wires and send the music/power from the cab to the set-up in the bed I'll just run a speaker wire threw the back window. Im not confident making it myself, but was wondering if I could get some idea's, advice or help on what I mit need. So then I could go into an audio store and tell them what I need. If its impossible or unrealistic you can tell me that also. Wont mind. Thanks for reading and helpful advice.

ps. the reason it needs to be mobile is in case I need to take it out to put stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When I was in Highschool, we used to pile in my station wagon to do all kinds of crazy sh1t. I had a sub and two 6x9"s in the back in their own boxes. When we parked the wagon we popped the hatch open, and the 6x9s could be rotated to sit facing outward. you can see the 6x9s in their boxes on this site.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/551696

Hope this helps.
-Tim

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was in Highschool, we used to pile in my station wagon to do all kinds of crazy sh1t. I had a sub and two 6x9"s in the back in their own boxes. When we parked the wagon we popped the hatch open, and the 6x9s could be rotated to sit facing outward. you can see the 6x9s in their boxes on this site.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/551696

Hope this helps.
-Tim
HAHA thats awesome, looks like good times. Yea I like that set up too. Yea the only thing I think i really really need is a better projection of the sound. 62 on the sound volume isn't enough when everyone else around you is trying to compete with you. So I figure thats why I need a full system, not just an amp to clarify the sound or subs to hear the THUMP.

Could I just use some tall tower home theater speakers? If so, would tap in the rear speaker and connect it to the speaker towers. Would they require a receiver or would they work just off my stock JBL unit?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
HAHA thats awesome, looks like good times. Yea I like that set up too. Yea the only thing I think i really really need is a better projection of the sound. 62 on the sound volume isn't enough when everyone else around you is trying to compete with you. So I figure thats why I need a full system, not just an amp to clarify the sound or subs to hear the THUMP.

Could I just use some tall tower home theater speakers? If so, would tap in the rear speaker and connect it to the speaker towers. Would they require a receiver or would they work just off my stock JBL unit?
You could run home speakers but you will need an amplifier and run the home speakers in parallel because most home speakers are 8ohm. The amp can be tied into your current unit through "line level inputs" on the amp.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No, you cant just splice in some tower speakers and call it a day.

IMO, two amps is the only way to go. One for mids and highs, the other for the lows.

-Tim

·
Registered
916 Posts
Truth be told, the easiest and cheapest way might be a decent home stereo boom box and a power inverter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could run home speakers but you will need an amplifier and run the home speakers in parallel because most home speakers are 8ohm. The amp can be tied into your current unit through "line level inputs" on the amp.
Got ya, well I will start looking into a an amp to handle and push enough power.
:ts:

No, you cant just splice in some tower speakers and call it a day.

IMO, two amps is the only way to go. One for mids and highs, the other for the lows.

-Tim
:behindsofa: Thanks I told ya I wasn't fully sure of what I needed or getting myself into, I just had an idea. So thanks:tu:

Truth be told, the easiest and cheapest way might be a decent home stereo boom box and a power inverter.
Yea but those inverters can be $1000+. If I go with the amp, I can still use it to help my sounds system in the truck when just cruising around. Unless you've seen/found out differently. Im not sure how powerful of an inverter I would need. But it would definitely get the job done.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Run a line level converter and a small car amp powering a passive PA cab (Yamaha or JBL). About $300-400 buys you everything necessary and it will sound far better than a pair of inefficient home speakers being pushed hard enough to get good volume. If you do opt for home speakers, find something like a set of Cerwin Vega or Klipsch - these are usually more durable and forgiving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How much are you tryin to spend on the setup>? Cuz to have a custom box made is going to be alot of money. If money is not an issue throw out some numbers and I will try and find something.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much are you tryin to spend on the setup>? Cuz to have a custom box made is going to be alot of money. If money is not an issue throw out some numbers and I will try and find something.
If I knew how long I was going to keep the truck I could probably answer that, but since I dont I have a feeling going with an inverter and shelf stereo is my better choice and definitely cheaper. Though I did like the set up one of the members has in the back of his Tundra. I forget his name, but he has in molded in and sprayed with LEDs. Pretty nice set-up:first:

Thanks for the input and advice. All have been helpful!!! :ts:

Not to change the subject, but does anyone have pictures of the Color Keyed Door handles for a white truck. I tried searching, but came up empty handed.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes I knew they had them, but they dont have any pictures. Thats what Im really looking for. :becky:
Use your imagination. They look like your handles, but white :D

What did you decide about your audio situation?

-Tim

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use your imagination. They look like your handles, but white :D

What did you decide about your audio situation?

-Tim
HAHAHA thanks for the helpful hint. I will try this method. :blah:

As it goes for the audio situation, I figure Ill probably just buy an inverter and run a shelf stereo off of it. Why you got a suggestion?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts