Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted in several other posts, Ford has made a big deal in their advertising about the F150 having a "fully boxed frame". Frankly, I don't care one way or the other, but...

Watching a commercial for the new Ford Superduty, that starts with a fully exploded visual of all the trucks' components coming together to form the complete truck, I noticed that the frame sections shown in the commercial are "open C-channel". I don't know if it is accurate, but if it is, that's Funny!

Has anyone else noticed? Can anyone verify?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Ford SuperDuties have C-channel frames....along with the Dodge and GM heavy duty pickups....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure they do have C-channels, but don't you think it's thicker than the tundra. 2 frames of equal metal thickness, the box will be stronger, but all you have to do is make the c-channel thicker to make the strength equal. So, even though the tundra has a c-channel section, I would venture to say that it's thicker.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Most every type of large truck you can find uses c-channel frames. Heck even cement trucks use I-beam-type frames, so, the idea of fully-boxed being better is not an absolute. There is strength-to-weight ratios to consider, plus in certain areas, a little flex may be a big benefit... other areas not so much... time will tell if the triple-tek frame really is beneficial...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the engineering between the open channel and closed box frames, and how an open channel of the proper gauge and design could be just as strong.

My amusement came that Ford is running one ad that says "if it ain't fully boxed then it's sh_t", while running another ad at the same time for their "super duty" (read extra strong, extra tough) truck that has an open frame. They don't mention "fully boxed" on the Superduty, because they don't want to look like they lied the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I understand the engineering between the open channel and closed box frames, and how an open channel of the proper gauge and design could be just as strong.

My amusement came that Ford is running one ad that says "if it ain't fully boxed then it's sh_t", while running another ad at the same time for their "super duty" (read extra strong, extra tough) truck that has an open frame. They don't mention "fully boxed" on the Superduty, because they don't want to look like they lied the first time.
Yeah, its pretty funny since the "super duty" truck actually tows 2.5 times as much and has 3 times the payload... :D:D:D

·
Registered
528 Posts
That superduty came with a flame thrower but that was a limited time offer! Anyways...the above posts are correct in regards to the frames.

Stupid Ford

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think fully boxed would have been easy for Toyota to do. They felt the triple-tech was the superior frame and that's why they did it. And I'm pretty sure it's more expensive to manufacture than the other frames.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Fords may have better frames than our Tundras, but at least our Tundras don't have that silly arse-in-the-air look like the F150s do. :D

This was mentioned in another thread how the Fords sit higher, but to me I like the lower ride of the Tundra. :tu:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts