Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 AC
My 4WD light started flashing the other day while driving in 2WD and I lost 4WD. Through some gentle persuasion with a hammer, I got the truck into 4WD but now the light blinks all the time and the button is backwards. When I push the button in for 4WD the truck is in 2, and when I press it again to the 2WD position it goes into 4HI. I took the cover off the transfer case actuator (full of water as I'm sure you guessed) and cleaned and reassembled it. No change.

Can I manually move something to get the transfer case back in sync with the button? I suspect that's why the light is blinking all the time. I also can't get into 4LO because of this, but I never use that anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the 2nd gen (sorry, all I know - I know the actuator is different, but....) If you move that toothed rod (inside the actuator), I believe that manually shifts into and out of 4hi (and 4lo for the one on the reverse side).

I HOPEFULLY just fixed a similar problem. Rather than adjusting the bar in the transfer case, I manually adjusted the front diff actuator into 4hi. Then, disconnected the negative side of the battery, the harness for the front diff and the one for the 4hi side of the transfer case. Then, plugged them back in, set the switch to 4hi, and booted her up.

My blinking 4hi light went solid. Was able to switch back to 2wd and didn't get the flashing 4hi, either, so I'm hoping I have everything back in sync after cleaning off the electronics in the transfer case cap (I had already replaced the front diff actuator (fork and electronics).

Seems like somehow (maybe I did it when I was initially installing it) the front diff actuator splines/gear (that attaches closes to the fork) were not aligned correctly with the cap, so the front diff actuator motor was moving, but not the correct way...which probably confused the transfer case and ECU (even though somehow it would occasionally switch over OK [but that was rare]).

Sorry about my life story....hope that helps a little bit, at least.

Whatever you do, I would advise disconnecting the battery terminal, and both electrical connections, setting the button/switch correctly, and then plugging them all back in, and THEN start it up.

I believe on the 2nd gen, after a time or two, no matter what position you have that rod in (I think all the way in toward the transfer case is 2wd), it will align itself correctly.

Just make sure you have the front fork lined up properly, too, along with the switch, so all three are set the same. For me, I did it in 4hi, since I think that's where it failed and the fork ended up.

The fork set to the passenger side is locked in for 4wd, and the three metal connector pins should be at the top of the gear, pointing down.

Now, if I go back out tomorrow and it messes up again, I'm either wrong, or I have another issue going on, lol. But, so far, this worked as above to get my 4hi light to stay solid and to be able to successfully shift out of 4hi into 2wd.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts