Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My '01 access cab 4x4 with about 120000kms on it has started making a funny noise. The first time I heard it it was raining heavy and I put it off as just road noise. But a week later I have to addmit that there is something wrong. At about 1950 rpm to about 2000, there is a "rattling" noise. Its hard to explain, it doesn't happen for very long. I'm fairly sure it does it in most gears. Has anybody had an experience like this before? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What do you mean by "funny" noise? Where does it seem to be coming from, engine/drive train or somewhere else? Hot or cold engine/tranny? You said you are not sure about every gear. You need to narrow it down and give some more specifics if possible.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Rattles? Check your exhaust. I had a rattle at 3,000 rpms, it was a loose piece of metal on one of the exhaust couplings. My Toyota tech friend simply broke it off, problem solved. While you're under there, I would also check for loose bolts: one of the bolts on the coupling had gone missing.

Good luck.

pirates

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rattles? Check your exhaust. I had a rattle at 3,000 rpms, it was a loose piece of metal on one of the exhaust couplings. My Toyota tech friend simply broke it off, problem solved. While you're under there, I would also check for loose bolts: one of the bolts on the coupling had gone missing.

Good luck.

pirates

a heat shield maybe? i have that problem on a few of my vehicles..

·
7,925 Posts

Good luck.

pirates
a heat shield maybe? i have that problem on a few of my vehicles..
I second the loose exhaust component. I have a funny little rattle/buzz at 1800 rpm. Just have not gotten around to tracking it down - my guess is a loose hanger as everything on my system is welded.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Hmmm, that RPM range is the drone range. maybe your truck wants a cool sounding muffler so it can drone!

With the little description, I'd think about checking the exhaust too, snug up every fastener you can see under there. Check the condition of your muffler while you are at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts