Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a Highlander forum for quite a while, and this forum is the closest I could get to a model-specific forum. So I'm hoping this is the best place to get some information.

Anyway, I am looking into purchasing a 2007 Highlander V6 with the 3rd row. Most likely the limited. My initial thought is to get the 4WD version. I live in South Florida and it rains a lot in the summer, but there will never be snow and I don't plan on going "off roading" in it. Looking at the specifications, the gas mileage difference is almost non-existent between the 2. 4WD was 1mpg less. I'd like to see some real world gas mileages from people who own both.

I will also be getting the tow package. So that may factor into it as well.

And are there any other things I should be looking for? Since it's a new car, I don't need to check all the typical things I would of a used car. But I'd like to know if there are some options that are available but never used or ones that you wish you would have gotten.

The car will be for my wife.

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have both a FWD and an AWD, there is definently a gas mileage difference. My FWD consistently gets around 20 mpg and the AWD gets 12 to 15 mpg. Both get more on highway trips. I find the AWD a superior ride, handling etc

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I agree that the overall MPG is noticeably better in the 2wd.
Living in FL, 4WD is not necessary.
The 3rd row is standard on any V6 equipped H/L for 06 and 07 I believe. I have a Limited . All I can say is that the 3rd row is not all that. Look at it closely. The Nav I have is very nice for the touch controls it offers on the A/C ,radio and Nav. The Nav. is not perfect . but none are.
The touch controls are more important to me than the actual Nav feature by itself.
My moms 2wd 04 H/L is a bit peppier and more responsive than the 4wd I own. But the full time 4wd feels much more glued down to the road. I wanted the tow prep package as insurance against overheating. Drivetrain runs cooler in extreme conditions. I also added the oe tow hitch while I was at it. Not so much to tow anything , but to add a hitch step into the reciever to add protection to the rear end. This accessory has spared me great damage already.
I don't know much more to add.
Good luck:)
LT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. This is kind of what I thought with the gas mileage, but I was hoping it was not as bad with the 4WD. Oh well, I still may get the 4WD just for the additional stability control since it rains down here a LOT. And this will mainly be my wife's car. The 3rd row is definitely small and only really suitable for kids, but it allows for adults to sit comfortably while transporting kids in the way back.:D

We will likely get the limited since that seems to come with most of what we want. That's good to know about the touch controls. I didn't even think about that, but it's an added bonus. I hear ya on how no nav system is perfect.

The tow package will probably not be used much to tow at all, but for the same reasons you listed. I tow an autocross trailer now with my MR2 and don't plan on racing the highlander. haha. But you never know and I'd rather get the added cooling and protection for down the road if I decided to tow a small boat or something.

Anyway, thanks again for the info on your experience with the HL.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
FWIW, my '02 Highlander V6 Limited uses 11.2 Litres/100 km. This is what my trip computer shows as average. I have almost 100,000 Kilometers (60,000 miles) on it now.

This translates to 21 MPG (US) and 25 MPG (Imperial).

Needless to say, I'm quite happy with these numbers.:tu:

·
Registered
361 Posts
My wife has an '03 3.0L V-6 4WD, she gets 18-20 MPG around town, 21 all highway. I think the 3.3L 4WD is rated 1-2 MPG better than this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agree with lifetech, wife's FWD 3.0L 6 cyl has more pep than my AWD 3.3L V6. But the ride makes the difference for me, feels much more substantial on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just one more, since you got your answer...my 4WD get average 19-20Mpg. Got about 25 on trip from VA to FL. Think you are making the right choice with 4WD.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'll just add too that I am extremely happy with our Highlander. It still runs like it's brand new and its got 100,000 Km on it. I put Michelin LTX M/S tires on it last year and made a huge difference. The Goodyear Integrity's were not very good, but the LTX are amazing. I'm getting slightly better mileage with them too.

An excellent vehicle.:tu:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to give an update...

I purchased a 2007 Hilander Hybrid Limited 4wd. I still have yet to take delivery, but hopefully that will happen soon. After all of the lurking and reading, it seemed like the 4wd was the way to go. And the Hybrid made sense with the fuel economy (And I can use the carpool lane with having only 1 person in it :D ).

The supposed reason it's taking them so long is they're adding the drop hitch receiver to it and it's coming from a dealership other than the one I bought it from. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up today or this weekend.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts