Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been working through some projects on my 2018 Platinum CM (build thread coming soon >:) ), one of which was a differential drop. I used the Rough Country diff drop that came with my leveling kit. After installing it and tightening everything back up, there are noticeable gaps, above and below the differential mounts. I've torqued the bolts to spec but haven't been able to close the space. This may be hard to envision, so I've included photos below.

Am I missing something or is this expected?

Thanks,
Beau

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't had any issues with this, but was reminded of this gap when I was changing out differential and TC fluids this past week.

Bumping this thread in hopes that someone else has experience with it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I dont pretend to know anything about lifts but could you crack the bolts loose and retighten in the hopes it allows everything to settle and straighten itself?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the response @cheapskate . No matter how much you crank down those mounting bolts, that gap won't close. After thinking about this a bit more, I think I understand what's going on:

When you lower the front end of the differential, while keeping the rear mounting point fixed, you are essentially just rotating or tilting the whole unit forward. The front mounting points that used to be horizontal (parallel to the frame) are now tilted forward, creating that gap. It seemed odd to me that the gap was "by design", but I can't think of any way to close it without lowering the rear mounting points of the diff, or putting some larger or asymmetric bushings on the front mounts.

Like I mentioned above though, I haven't had any issues because of this gap and everything still seems snug. I even looked up a few install videos for the diff. drop kit and they all seem to have a similar gap. As weird as it seems to me to have such an uneven mounting point, I think I'll just leave it be.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
To clarify I didnt say crank them tighter. Back them all off first to allow everything to settle in a neutral position and see if that changes those angles then re tighten. It may not change the angle but may take pressure off the bushings. You said no issues so far so hopefully it stays that way for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, sorry. I knew what you meant, but misrepresented your advice. I experimented with all kinds of adjustments when I first installed the spacers and wasn't able to get the gap closed. Oh well.

Thanks for the help anyway!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
No problem, and good luck. You could try asking your question in an existing thread, might get a few more responses? Even one that is gen 1 you might get some guys that are experienced at this sort of thing.

Reactions: Beaugentry4
1 - 7 of 7 Posts