Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
The garage door opener area, where the 3 buttons are for opening garage doors or turning house lights on with the "HomeLink" feature, used to be illuminated when my headlights were on. This no longer is lit up and I can't find a place in the owner's manual to change a light bulb or anything in that area. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Might have to just go down to the dealer, and have them look up the part for you. They are usually special order anyway. Just open it up, and see if you can take out the blown bulb down to match it up. I've never had to change those, so I'm not sure what's involved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At least in my 04 Sequoia you have to open the sunglass holder compartment . Up there on the left and right side you'll find 2 screws . Take those out .

Then more to the front of the console on the left and right side there are 2 clips that hold that in console in place . You'll have to wiggle the console and pull down gingerly to remove it .

Take a screwdriver and turn counter clockwise the bulbs to remove . You only need bout 1/4 a turn to remove them .

Im my vehicle the part numbers for those bulbs are 90011-11038 and are $4.66 each . There are 1 bulb for each button . You prolly should remove those bulbs and take them to Toyota Parts so they can replace with the proper bulbs . I've been to a few dealers and they all seem to have to order them in . Then install and put back together . It's very easy to do .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- I had no idea I could access from the sunglass holder area!! Will give it a try:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are several posts here concerning this. Search for homelink bulb and you will find a part number to order at Mouser.com that is less than $1 per bulb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My lights went out when the programing got cleared out.... when I reprogrammed one of the buttons to open my garage door it lit up!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do not go to dealer for this bulb! go online and get an LED they are super cheap and look 10x better. You can put in whatever color you want. Good to here they work though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found them at Mouser.com <http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JKL-Components/DNW1-DW10/?qs=6YhTptf0WO0tHl2zyFckOQ%3d%3d>

Another post mentioned that they are shorter than the OEM part but work just the same. I will try them out...at $10 for ten of them why not?

Mouser Part #: 560-DNW1DW10
Manufacturer Part #: DNW1-DW10
Manufacturer: JKL Components
Description: Lamps 14V 0.1A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing Homelink Garage Opener Lights

This is a step by step guide to replacing the Homelink Garage Opener Lights for a 2006 Toyota Tundra or vehicles with a overhead center Homelink Console. (See attached Image)

1. Order replacement lights. See above posts for light manufacturers. I recommend Mauser Electrical's online website. Consider replacing all of the bulbs while you have the Homelink console removed as they are incandescent bulbs and at $10 for 10 lights (I ordered extra) its most definitely worth it. <http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JKL-Components/DNW1-DW10/?qs=6YhTptf0WO0tHl2zyFckOQ%3d%3d>

2. Start by removing the Phillips head screws on the inside top of the sunglass holder(s). (See Attached Image)

3. Next gently pull downward on the forward end of the overhead console to dislodge two clips that hold the console in place. (See attached image for the location and general appearance of these clips) Gently rocking the console on a linear axis will help. DO NOT Twist on a vertical axis or the plastic clips may break.

4. You should now have the console completely detached from its original overhead locations with the exception of the connecting wire harness. (See attached image) This can be detached for ease work but it is not necessary. To detach, find the plastic clip (center bottom) of the female end of the harness, push, and wiggle the connection point until free. A small flat head screw driver may be helpful to detach the locking mechanism.

Using a flat head screw driver, remove the existing light(s) from the back of the homelink garage opener panel. Approximately 1/4 counter clockwise turn is required to detach the lights from their fasteners. Inverting the console or using a pair of needle nose pliers may be required to completely dislodge the light from its positing in the console. Note: you should NOT have the use much force with pliers. The 1/4th turn should be the only action needed for removal but the pliers can be used to assist only after the 1/4 turn.

Take time to note the condition of any/all metallic connection points for the lights. Mine were dirty and possibly a factor in the outage of my garage opener lights. I ended up disassembling the back side of the unit to access the circuit board and cleaned the metallic connection points with a multipurpose metal cleaner. I used caution not to get the cleaner on any other portion of the circuit board.

5. Replace the old bulbs with new ones. The bulbs should slide back in the original holes and with a 1/4 clockwise twist fit securely in place. My bulbs did not do this easily and I damaged the plastic housing of the bulb while installing. I removed the bulb and modified the plastic housing by very slightly trimming some of the plastic from where the bulb housing was binding. (You will see damaged plastic on the thread of the bulb housing if it does not seat securely) I used a sharp pocket knife for the trimming operation and after removing a millimeter or so of plastic, the bulb housing fit perfectly.

6. Re-install the overhead console the same way it came out.

Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to remove the dimming feature from this? I want to keep it from dimming with the lights on due to the fact it is hard for me to see during the day when my lights are on. It is not too bright at night so I am not worried about having them dim at night but I just hate that during the day I can not see them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great write up on the replacement. So I looked on the mouser website, and I saw the bulbs that they offer, someone mentioned LED bulbs? Where do you find those at? I have two of the three garage door lights burnt out, I'm assuming that the mode and measuring unit buttons also have a light? And I have one my light out on my heated seat button . I would like to replace all of them . I called the website to see if they had any sort of LED bulbs, and the same size but they don't. I was curious where you guys found those I called the website to see if they had any sort of LED bulbs, and the same size but they don't. I was curious where you guys found those, ? I thought it would be cool to change all of the bulbs to a different color. Thanks
2006 limited DC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this will help you at all but on my 2001, all I did was tap on the side of the overhead console a few times and the lights came back on. That was months ago and they are still working perfectly. Maybe give it a shot before removing everything.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts