Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not hard to believe as I am paying $3.40 a gallon now. I haven't thought about my own psychological barrier. I can tell you right now that $4 a gallon will not sway me from purchasing a 5.7, but $5 may just be around the corner. What would you do? My current budget for two cars is around $450 a month. It could easily jump to $600 a month if we go up another buck.

Bloomberg Printer-Friendly Page

Just curious to your thoughts

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's why I have my "other vehicle". A Suzuki Hayabusa... 45 MPG. Although living up north now I'm limited to a much shorter riding season.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not hard to believe as I am paying $3.40 a gallon now. I haven't thought about my own psychological barrier. I can tell you right now that $4 a gallon will not sway me from purchasing a 5.7, but $5 may just be around the corner. What would you do? My current budget for two cars is around $450 a month. It could easily jump to $600 a month if we go up another buck.

Bloomberg Printer-Friendly Page

Just curious to your thoughts
I cut off my cable television. 95% of the stuff on there is total CRAP. At more than $100 a month, it's the first place to start. I would then cut back on how many minutes I have on my cell phone.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Point is you should not have to sacrifice cable or anything else just to buy gas. It does not matter if you drive a Tundra 5.7L or a Moped gas is getting outrageous per gallon!

I just do not understand the logic or philosopy here. Gas began going up when we invaded Iraq right? It is as high or higher than it has been, and we OWN Iraq. Gasoline over there I read floats around 15 cents a gallon.

Ten makes you wonder how Exxon/Mobil is the most profitable company... hmm?

We American citizens take it in the seat from all sides.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My thoughts are that I'm surprised at how most people, here, are willing to sacrifice 2 MPG to have a 4X4 even if they live in the South or Soutwest. The thread about whether to go 4WD or not is like 20 to 1 in favor of 4WD even though it lowers mileage by 2 MPG in as tested in 2WD mode. I think that some are under the impression that it only costs you MPG if you are in 4WD mode which is not the case.

I guess someone can now post the obligatory "If you want good gas mileage buy a Scion don't buy a truck!"

·
Registered
608 Posts
My thoughts are that I'm surprised at how most people, here, are willing to sacrifice 2 MPG to have a 4X4 even if they live in the South or Soutwest. The thread about whether to go 4WD or not is like 20 to 1 in favor of 4WD even though it lowers mileage by 2 MPG in as tested in 2WD mode. I think that some are under the impression that it only costs you MPG if you are in 4WD mode which is not the case.

I guess someone can now post the obligatory "If you want good gas mileage buy a Scion don't buy a truck!"
IF YOU WANT GOOD.... aww, never mind. :clown: Truth is, we do get the occasional snow here in the south. But we also go to worksites and do some occasional off-roading in the mountains, too. Getting stuck is not much fun unless you're trying to, so a 10% hit in the mpg is not that big a tradeoff for a little security. I guess it's about the same as having to buy premium vs. regular unleaded.

Jim

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am not worried about it....if I am not driving the truck, I am driving my MINI. It also helps that I make my own schedule so if I do not want to go into the office - I don't....I simply work from home.

I do agree that there is no reason for gas prices to be where they are today. Less than 50% of our oil even comes from the middle east. Where do we get most of our oil???? Our neighbors to the North.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Buy stock in gas companies now if you think $5 is around the corner. Buy enough stock and the dividends could help offset some of that gas price.
:tu:

personally i am not afraid of gas prices going up ... 5 bucks a gallon aint gonna kill me... sure it is going to be tight with the 900 dollar truck payment but whatever... (my truck cost me almost 50k) ... if i was worried about gas i would have bought a prius... i needed/wanted a truck... i knew what i was in for...

for those people whining about gas prices ... SHUT UP ... you should not have gotten a 4.7l or 5.7l v8... you should have gotten a 4 banger taco... which i dont think they make anymore do they??? if you want performance and utility you have to pay to play

if you dont want to do that ... well... get out of our sandbox

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I am not worried about it....if I am not driving the truck, I am driving my MINI. It also helps that I make my own schedule so if I do not want to go into the office - I don't....I simply work from home.

I do agree that there is no reason for gas prices to be where they are today. Less than 50% of our oil even comes from the middle east. Where do we get most of our oil???? Our neighbors to the North.
dont forget venezuela

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
OK. From now on, we should limit our discussion to only positive things about $4 per gallon gasoline since some people are obviously very sensitive to discussion of gas mileage issues with their trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
My biggest beef with the price of gas is that use any little excuse to increase the price. When did you hear a reason for it to go down. They used Katrina as an excuse to make the price jump about 75cents. You think they would have fixed everything by now but the price has NEVER even come close to pre-Katrina prices.

Fuel economy isn't my biggest concern with a truck. The biggest selling point for me is wether or not it can haul a 28ft Airstream. Any truck that can do that will not be fuel efficient (gas or diesel). If I need fuel effieient, I have my Civic for that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I usually don't drive anywhere near the speeds that I read about on this forum. However, 60/65 MPH is even a little low for me. But when I drove my 2000 Tundra 4.7 at these speeds, it reached close to 21 MPG.
If all of us would just reduce the speed to 65, how many millions of barrels of oil would we save each DAY??? It might just be enough to get gas prices moving downward??

·
Registered
932 Posts

What about those of us who actually use 4WD? Ever think of that?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
What about those of us who actually use 4WD? Ever think of that?
If I say "Yes", will that keep people from posting stories here about how they got got stuck in the mud, drove on the snow, or pulled a boat once?

·
Registered
932 Posts
If I say "Yes", will that keep people from posting stories here about how they got got stuck in the mud, drove on the snow, or pulled a boat once?
Or, how they use their truck daily in construction, in the Florida sand, and MUST use 4WD.
Speak for yourself, not others. You'll find it works pretty good.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Buy stock in gas companies now if you think $5 is around the corner. Buy enough stock and the dividends could help offset some of that gas price.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You can hedge against the rising price of gas by purchasing something like an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) through any brokerage (ie Vanguard, Schwab, E*TRADE). Something like this index fund will rise and fall with the price of oil & gas. By doing this, you will also be ensuring some losses if gasoline prices decrease. Remember that the prices of oil stocks reflect the expectations of future prices which means that there is a certain amount of increase that is already figured into the price of these stocks.

ISHARES TR DJ OIL&GAS EXP (IEO: NYSE)

The investment seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the Dow Jones U.S. Select Oil Exploration & Production index. The index measures the performance of the oil exploration and production sub-sector of the U.S. equity market. It includes companies that are engaged in the exploration for and extraction, production, refining, and supply of oil and gas products. The fund uses a representative sampling strategy to try to track the Index. It is nondiversified.

As you can see, there has been about a 20% increase in the price of this ETF since the beginning of this year which corresponds, somewhat, to the increase in gasoline prices (and natural gas prices) over the past few months. Had you owned some of this ETF in January, you could sell it now for 20% more and pay for the increase in your fuel cost over this time.

It's a little hard to say exactly how much of this you would have to purchase in order to hedge against the increase in yours & your family's gasoline/heating oil consumption but the math is doable. This isn't very good for short-term budgeting because you would have to buy some of this ETF with cash and you wouldn't realize any gain untill you sold it. It's really more of a long term strategy to say that whatever else happens, it won't cost me any more than $XX, overall, if gas prices increase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can hedge against the rising price of gas by purchasing something like an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) through any brokerage (ie Vanguard, Schwab, E*TRADE). Something like this index fund will rise and fall with the price of oil & gas. By doing this, you will also be ensuring some losses if gasoline prices decrease. Remember that the prices of oil stocks reflect the expectations of future prices which means that there is a certain amount of increase that is already figured into the price of these stocks.

ISHARES TR DJ OIL&GAS EXP (IEO: NYSE)

The investment seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the Dow Jones U.S. Select Oil Exploration & Production index. The index measures the performance of the oil exploration and production sub-sector of the U.S. equity market. It includes companies that are engaged in the exploration for and extraction, production, refining, and supply of oil and gas products. The fund uses a representative sampling strategy to try to track the Index. It is nondiversified.

As you can see, there has been about a 20% increase in the price of this ETF since the beginning of this year which corresponds, somewhat, to the increase in gasoline prices (and natural gas prices) over the past few months. Had you owned some of this ETF in January, you could sell it now for 20% more and pay for the increase in your fuel cost over this time.

It's a little hard to say exactly how much of this you would have to purchase in order to hedge against the increase in yours & your family's gasoline/heating oil consumption but the math is doable. This isn't very good for short-term budgeting because you would have to buy some of this ETF with cash and you wouldn't realize any gain untill you sold it. It's really more of a long term strategy to say that whatever else happens, it won't cost me any more than $XX, overall, if gas prices increase.
How about removing oil stocks from the market and fixing the cost per barrel at $30.00 - that should stop a lot of this foolishness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts