Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 DC with 125k miles on it. No problems at all until today. I went to fill up the gas tank and the pump kept clicking off as soon as I pressed the handle to fill the tank. I was able to get a couple gallons in the tank after 10 minutes of clicking off. So I went to another station and the same thing happened. Does anyone know whats happening?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Mine's hit and miss whether it pumps good or not. I've never owned anything that was such a pain in the azz to fill. When the pump actually stays running, the fuel blows out of the filler neck like a geyser after it clicks off. I try to listen and turn it off manually, but it can be difficult to hear with traffic driving by.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Never had a problem with mine and I have never heard of it being difficult to fuel before this. Is there a debris filter or something at the end of the filler tube that could be clogged?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have a 04 DC with 125k miles on it. No problems at all until today. I went to fill up the gas tank and the pump kept clicking off as soon as I pressed the handle to fill the tank. I was able to get a couple gallons in the tank after 10 minutes of clicking off. So I went to another station and the same thing happened. Does anyone know whats happening?

Thanks in advance.
I forgot to add, the first time I filled up this truck after I bought it the exact same thing happened. It took 30 min to fill it. When I got home, I looked down the tube with a flashlight. There was a chunk of plastic hose broken off down in the filler tube from someone trying to syphon gas. That was when gas was nearly $4/gal, so I don't know if the dealer was trying to get extra gas out of it, or someone else tried to steal it. I fished the hose out and it filled fine. However, I still have issues filling it up from time to time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Happens to me on rare occasions. When it does I just slightly pull the nozzle out of the filler neck to a point where it won't keep clicking off and seems to work for me. Might have to try a few times though to find the right spot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
could be filler neck block up, but what could block it up?. Does filler neck had some kind of vapor block valve in there?. Try to fill at low flow position it may help.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, wasn't there when we all new owner had a silver circle to close the filler tube.
i think i had 1 when i 1st bought my tundra.
now when i remove my locking cap, it's wide open.
i think that peice broke off & went down the tube.

although i don't have that issue you described.
i belive that your's might be positioned in such a way that blocks the gas, therefore causing the gas,
when postioned on full force to back up, therefore clicking the gas pump knozzle to stop the flow of gas.

i wonder if you were to put the hand knozzle on the 1st postion click, & put the gas in slowly.
would that help.
if not, i belive you have to have something down there.
it's not normal to have this issue.

yes some gas station knozzle's are a real pain just to get it positioned & the gas flowing,
but thats that specific pump. they have the rubber fume accumulater, some are short & some are long.
some are very fat & some are thin. it all depends on the gas station & pump.
i remember reading about a issue with the tube, & it was expensive to fix at the dealership.
so that thread & posting is listed here.
good luck
gorilla

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the same gas station I always use and tried to fill the tank at all different speeds and angles. The nozzle continued to constantly click off no matter how much pressure I applied to the handle. I also pushed in the the foam rubber shroud with my other hand to no avail. The crazy thing is it happened at a completely different station. Could it be the vapor pressure sensor?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Same thing with mine. Definitely aggravating!!!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
There got to be something in the tube. I find it hard to believe that its pumps fault - its simple - if multiple pumps click off at different gas stations even at low speed then you either have something in the tube or the little pipe in the yank that lets air escape as you fill it up is clogged and air comes out filler tube causing gas foam to come up as well therefor shutting the pump off.

·
7,925 Posts
2004 DC and never had a problem filling - just can never seem to keep her full.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I have had this issue ever since getting my truck. I know there was a recall on early models, mine had it and it was fixed by Toyota. That was before I got the truck. I've looked at it and I don't see any obstruction. Nothing is loose. My other cars work fine at the same pumps so the "try another pump" thing is nonsense. I have to get the pump just right, angle, throttle, how hard it is pushed in. Other wise I can take too long and just leave with $20 worth.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Never a problem with mine, but I think someone had a problem very similar and
had it posted here before. I'll try to do a search for it in my spare time and see
if I can find it.

John

·
Registered
657 Posts
My '03 Tundra that I bought new had a factory recall TSB for this problem. Mine was fixed at the dealer. I don;t know what was done. If that's any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had this problem. your tank isn't venting when you're trying to shove gallons of gas in so fast.
it's probably venting slowly or not at all.

the problem for me was the actual canister filter was clogged internally. the little vacuum valve connected to it.

but it can be anything blocking air flow out of the tank. it goes from the tank through a big rubber hose then to the canister and if the valve is working it will go straight through the charcoal canister and back out the filler neck vent. check the flow on all the lines by disconnecting them and blowing through them. if they're all good bypass the canister filter then go try to fill up. i almost garauntee it will work when the canister is bypassed. there's not much else to go wrong.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi i did a search, put in gas filler tube.
a bunch will come up.
hopefully in time,
you will find what the issue is by reading through the threads.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 04 access cab. For me, it is the stations with the shorter spout or whatever on the end of the gas hose. The old style ones with the larger accordion work with no problem. On the other ones it is hit or miss, usually holding it at an angle will work. Also, I too thought i used to have a silver litter flap on the gas inlet and now I don't, I just assumed I was crazy and never had one, but now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happens every time for me, unless I leave CA and the other states don't have those stupid vapor recovery boots on the nozzle. You just have to stand there and hold the pump handle up with the nozzle inserted to get the gas in. Pain in the a$$!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts