Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new gas guzzler tax has recently been placed on vehicles sold in Canada, it doesn't affect pick-ups because people need them for work.

Gas guzzlers will pay up to $4000, so it looks like these hulking SUVs will go the way of the dinosaurs. Sports cars too!

On the bright side there's an eco friendly credit for fuel efficient cars, about 80% of cars on the road are not fuel efficient enough to qualify for the rebate.

Its a win-win for Toyota, since they have more hybrids than any other manufacturer.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Here in the states, the gas guzzler tax does not apply to ANYTHING classified as a truck. This includes CRV's, Sequoias, Tundra, etc. So, if you buy a Pontiac GTO with the automatic transmission (EPA 16/21mpg) you get hit with a $1,300 gas guzzler tax. However, if you buy a Toyota Sequoia (EPA 15/18mpg) you don't pay the guzzler tax and you can actually can write-off up to $25,000 of the purchase price because the weight puts it into a "heavy-duty passenger vehicle" classification for tax purposes. Pretty screwed up system here.

IMHO, the gas guzzler tax should apply to any vehicle with a GVWR of less than 14,000#.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There are two sides to this, as usual. I agree people who buy huge Hummers and only drive them to work with no passengers, never hauling towing or off roading are wasting resources and should be penalized, but what about bigger families with a few more kids who actually need a bigger SUV?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also live in Canada, and have heard about this new tax. I think it is just another tax grab. People who are willing to pay $85,000 for an SUV that says Hummer on the grill dont really care if it is gonna cost $89,000 insted. just seems silly to me

·
Registered
868 Posts
There are two sides to this, as usual. I agree people who buy huge Hummers and only drive them to work with no passengers, never hauling towing or off roading are wasting resources and should be penalized, but what about bigger families with a few more kids who actually need a bigger SUV?
We traded a Tahoe for the Ody and it (or even Suburban) has nothing on the Ody in terms of transporting a large family. If you need a foul-weather family transport, there are AWD options available. If you need to tow (camper/boat/horses/etc.) with your familiy, then these additional activities will justify the extra tax you'll pay for an SUV/Truck.

You wanna drive a big honking SUV for no apparent reason, then pay the piper up front because you're sucking more gas than necessary and raising prices for everyone. Take a look at my vehicles...I need them and I'm willing to pay for their uses. The folks driving 13mpg vehicles for poops-and-grins are driving up my fuel costs just as much.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I had a couple rides in a new Odyssey while my Honda was being repaired. I must admit I was impressed with the performance and handling of the thing, relative to its size and cargo. It had a little too much road noise and too firm of a ride for me, but it certainly moved well enough when the shuttle driver put his foot into it. I would imagine the newer ones are even more efficient with the cylinder shutoff. :D

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
From the $$ the gov collects from this tax, it is supose to go to reasurch and development of renewable fuels. If that is what happens, I think its a good long term plan.

Question though, I would like to purchase a new Avalanche in a year or so, is that concidered a pick up, or SUV?? I hope a pickup.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
What isn't taxed anymore, seriously. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
From the $$ the gov collects from this tax, it is supose to go to reasurch and development of renewable fuels. If that is what happens, I think its a good long term plan.

Question though, I would like to purchase a new Avalanche in a year or so, is that concidered a pick up, or SUV?? I hope a pickup.
I hope the Avalanche gets twice as much tax, then maybe people would stop buying them.

Seriously, why would you want to buy that piece of junk?

If you want a nice roomy cab and a shorty box, just get the monstercab Tundra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts