Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen plenty of posts regretting gas mileage in Tundra's. Some like myself regularily get 20 - 21 mpg (65 -70 mph, flatland) on the highway while others can't beat 17 mpg. I was reviewing the window sticker from my -04 Tundra 4x4, auto, V8, stepside with cover and noticed that it has a 3.90 limited slip differential. I seem to recall seeing many 4x4 Tundra's on the sales lot with stickers stating a 4.10 final drive ratio. Am I mistaken or could this be a partial reason why some are seeing variance in their mpg? I would think the 3.90 rears would be kinder at the pump.

Just a thought. Thanks to all the responses to my recent post on replacing the dash light! You all are great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - my 2004 Step Side 4x4 Access Cab has 3.90 (printed on the window sticker, never counted the rev's on the rack). May do that next time I get the oil changed.

·
7,925 Posts
I've seen plenty of posts regretting gas mileage in Tundra's. Some like myself regularily get 20 - 21 mpg (65 -70 mph, flatland) on the highway while others can't beat 17 mpg. I was reviewing the window sticker from my -04 Tundra 4x4, auto, V8, stepside with cover and noticed that it has a 3.90 limited slip differential. I seem to recall seeing many 4x4 Tundra's on the sales lot with stickers stating a 4.10 final drive ratio. Am I mistaken or could this be a partial reason why some are seeing variance in their mpg? I would think the 3.90 rears would be kinder at the pump.

Just a thought. Thanks to all the responses to my recent post on replacing the dash light! You all are great.
Got a nice improvement in my fuel mileage when I swapped my 4:10'a for 3:91's. I think they put the 4:10's in the DC to accommodate the additional weight at take-off. The 4:10 gears are good for towing but I quit towing the end of last year. Even with the change in gears I did not notice any loss off the line or while pulling.

4:10 for AC, 3:91 for DC
My 2004 DC 4x4 came stock with 4:10's

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
My 2000 4x4 AC came with 3.91 in the ever going battle to get better gas mileage I swapped to 4.30 to compensate for the 33" tires and my lack of power on take off. I feel like my truck is terrible on take off compared to others I have driven with a similar setup. I think with the gear change it improved my overall powerband, before if I was on the interstate and the cruise set at say 70 when as I would climb an overpass the truck would downshift and rev crazy high. After, I have zero downshifting or high revs in the same situation, its a lot smoother overall and doesn't sound like it is going to explode.

Highway, no chip yet, but I have been tracking my mileage and the last 4 tanks with supreme have been 11ish. The latter 2 were using shell 93octane, although I haven't found a station around here that doesn't have the 10% ethanol disclaimer. Doing a chemical injector clean this weekend, and the Package should be in too, so I'll let you know of any improvements.

·
7,925 Posts
My 2000 4x4 AC came with 3.91 in the ever going battle to get better gas mileage I swapped to 4.30 to compensate for the 33" tires and my lack of power on take off. I feel like my truck is terrible on take off compared to others I have driven with a similar setup. I think with the gear change it improved my overall powerband, before if I was on the interstate and the cruise set at say 70 when as I would climb an overpass the truck would downshift and rev crazy high. After, I have zero downshifting or high revs in the same situation, its a lot smoother overall and doesn't sound like it is going to explode.

Highway, no chip yet, but I have been tracking my mileage and the last 4 tanks with supreme have been 11ish. The latter 2 were using shell 93octane, although I haven't found a station around here that doesn't have the 10% ethanol disclaimer. Doing a chemical injector clean this weekend, and the Package should be in too, so I'll let you know of any improvements.
Hey Cajun,

I think you are right about the short trips and your crashing MPG's. Still, I think there is something else going on there. I will get a PM out to you tomorrow or Saturday - or you could call me Saturday and we can run through the checklist to see if we are missing something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wish i could get in the high MPG numbers that some people do. My 3.91 gears in my 2001 AC are good for the freeway when its just the truck. But when i hook up my 3500 pound trailer its like 9-10 mpg. half of where i drive is pretty big hills so i can get that. I will be switching my 3.91 gears to 4.88 to help compensate for the 33's im running now. While i was regearing i decided to go ahead and throw in a ARB rear locker to save on labor down the line. I rarely drive on the freeway without hauling something so the lower gears are perfect for me. for the rare times i don't haul something, that's what overdrive is for.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi ,what many people don't i belive is consider how long we wait at red light's, stopping for stop sign, warming up our tundra, or leaving it running while we are standing still to talk to someone. many members live in a wide open area, that doesn't have many of the thing's i mentioned. which will effect the mpg. also people might not tow, or have weight/equipment, etc in there bed. nor did they add accessory's, all add's to the weight of the vehicle. adding bigger rim's & tires, reducing the mpg.
like it has been said so many time's, every tundra is different. so the mpg will also be different. that is why we see 9mpg to 24mpg. if you have a reg. cab w/ a V6 & another has a V8 double cab with equipment in the bed, & also pulling a trailer, you can never expect to get the same mpg.
my sticker said i belive i'd have to find it, either 16mpg city & 17mpg highway. or 17 & 18.
which i could never belive, no vehicle is 1mpg difference from city to highway, so how they came up with that is beyond me.
as long as it's dependable & does it's job, that is what count's. that is how i look at it. but make no mistake, i wouldn't want 11mpg. if that was the case, i would have bought the srt10 or 1 of the big 3, & added the S/C. or bought a BIG D. and up-graded my twin turbo's, & aded a chip.
it's nice to know for 5years both toyota's never had any issue's with braking down. so far so good.
gorilla

1 - 8 of 8 Posts