Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a cargo trailer for hunting / camping and wonder how much gas mileage I'll lose if I go with a 7ft wide vs. a 6 ft. wide cargo trailer.

If you've hauled a 6x12 or 6x14 what kind of mileage did you get.

If you've hauled a 7x12 or 7x14 what kind of mileage did you get.

Other things I'd like to know -

Did the 7x14 do ok or did you feel like it was too much ?
Was it a V-nose or flat front trailer
What brand of trailer was it
How heavy did you load it.

- Any suggestions, pictures ... would be great

Thanks,
Spot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined to respond to your post. I pull a 5x8 tall enclosed tailer, a 6x12 open trailer and a 7x14 enclosed V-nose trailer with extra 7'6" height regularly. With the enclosed trailers the fuel mileage drops dramatically averaging 10-14 mpg depending on the load. The open trailer has less wind resistance and gets better fuel mileage but is still generally in the 12-16mpg range. I generally average around 20 mpg wiith no trailer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there any difference going from 6 ft wide to 7 ft wide ?

I was hoping the 6 ft wide would only be more in the 14 mpg range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't notice a huge difference between the 7x14 and the 5x8 I have. The 7x14 is a v-nose and the 5x8 is a flat front which might explain some. The 7x14 is a large trailer with dual axles and I'm sure weighs an extra 1000 lbs or more over the 5x8. One thing to note is these trucks do not ride well with much tongue wieght. I never had the spring TSB done as I am planning on buying a Tundra soon. That might help some but the ride is pretty rough with a loaded trailer and a decent amount of tongue weight. Also defintely need to have a trailer brake if hauling a larger trailer. I didn't have any problems with the 5x8 but my 6x12 and 7x14 have brakes and they are needed with much of a load.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard for me to believe that a 7x14 doesn't dispurse alot more are than a 6x12 - so I figured it would suck up 2 more MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 6x12 is an open trailer so I have no experience with a 6' enclosed trailer. I don't see a big difference between my 5' flat front and my 7' v-nose trailer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 6x12 is an open trailer so I have no experience with a 6' enclosed trailer. I don't see a big difference between my 5' flat front and my 7' v-nose trailer.
I pulled a 6X12 U haul trailer before and it sucked the gas. Probably 10 mpg or so. I also noticed that at highway speeds I would get some pretty good tailwag going on everytime a semi passed me. It didn't feel the most stable. I have no idea how much weight was in it though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It all depends.
There are more factors that determine MPG and stability other than just the width of the trailer. The combined weight of the trailer, its load, tire pressure and etc affect MPG. The size of the trailer tires affect road stability as well as placement of the load within the trailer. If a 6' weighs about the same as a 7', your not going to notice that much difference; V or no vnose. If you compare a 6' in one brand versus a 7' in another, the 7' might get better or worse MPG.
As long as you're getting a well designed trailer, then you'll get the best performance... acceptable MPG, excellent stability,good load capacity, reliabilty, etc, all built-in.
I have a Featherlite trailer VNose that's 7' wide that's stable regardless of the load and headwind. However, the MPG is affected by load and not its width.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to pull a 7x14 with 2 60'' exmark mowers on it. I actually only pulled it with my tacoma twice because it was such a load. It felt like I was sittin on the road lookin through the roof but it did pull it and that was a heavy trailer. 2 mowers, 2 weedeaters, back pack blower, edger, 2 gas cans. We usually pulled this trailer with a chevy 2500 with no problems. A brake controller would have really helped stopping

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I did any towing in my Tacoma 4x4 DC you can easily cut your MPG in half. While these trucks are rated for 6500lbs it really works the truck hard. A V6 is not the way to go for towing. I personally don't think the brakes can handle 6500 lbs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with a 6x12 Vnose

A good amount of the gas problem has to do with people driving over 60-65 mph, the back end of the trailers flat so it sucks wind.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I pull a 7 wide travel trailer which has a minimally slanted front and is 9 ft at the top of the a/c. I average 13 mpg in my 6cyl doublecab. That said, I'm almost never in a hurry and drive 55-65.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ditto on the speed issue... we get 600km (360 miles) on a tank, empty, at 95km/h (55mph). Towing our 2500lb Airstream at 55 nets us about 400km a tank (50% loss) and 65 drops us into the 350km range... Although rated for 6500... ti works damn hard in the high, hot hills of Cali and Nevada on our last big trip... cooler temperatures it seems to have a lot more pull. And... 4th great at 55 is the sweet spot...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may have to agree. My 4.0 is struggling up hills with a load of 6000 with my new trailer. I am worried about the load and if it is too much. The travel trailer I pull is a Coleman 28 ft (31.5 overall) and 5850 unloaded. Gas mileage sucks (10 ave) but even with the WD hitch and sway bars I feel like I am blown around. I have a feeling it is too much. It could have something to do with the 10'7" height also....just don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts