Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my truck and have only filled up 3 times since the dealership filled her up when i bought her. when i first got it i was playing with all the bottons and when i hit the info button it said i had a little over 400 miles on a full tank. since then it's gradually been getting lower. the first 2 times i filled up it dropped to 378 with a full tank. i was using 87 regular gas, so i checked the manual to make sure that's what i was supposed to be using and it said 87 or higher, but all the testing was done at 91. so i thought maybe when i bought the truck they filled it up with 91 and that's why it was saying over 400 miles. last night i filled up with 91 and checked the meter and this time i dropped to 368!

has anyone else had a similar experience with this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have 43k on mine and it's never shown over 389 or somewhere close to that no matter how easy I drive it. I have gotten 18.5 at 70 to 73 mph....and it still never went over that when I filled up again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Octane has no effect on gas mileage. I have always used regular gas in my '00 Tundra, except when towing at attitude (when engine knock is more likely) where I will use mid grade.

The type of gas does make a difference though. For example, pure gas will get you 4%-5% better mileage than E-10, which is up to 10% ethanol in this state. Unfortunately E-10 is all that you can get in Oregon now. They passed a law that by March of this year all gas had to be blended... sux going up the mountain, and noticeably less go power from the E-10 gas than straight gas. Used to be that I drove mainly in California, and when I came to Oregon I felt better performance with the first tank of gas. Now its back to California type crappy ho-hum gas here. Seems like the truck is getting tired, but its the E-10 gas. :mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Only annoyance I found in Oregon is that you can't even pump your own gas either! :p

Sanosuke!
Actually, considering that we pay less for gas here than they do in WA state, and a lot less for gas than in CA, and they both have self serve, I feel like royalty :couch2: driving up to the pumps now. No getting out in the rain :rain:, wind and snow :smow:, and no getting gas on my hands :painkiller:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Gee wont even let you pump your own gas, good thang you don't have to work in a oil refinry & make the stuff. Oh yea that's right it just magicaly jumps in those tankers & pumps straight to your local gas station. Some times I wonder if this country ain't just doomed to fail.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
its just the computer adjusting...its what people for a while thought was a computer disconnect magic dealio to improve gas mileage but that was a crock.... these trucks wont get anywhere near 400 on a tank on the readout...aint gonna happen too small of a tank. probally 300-360 max will show on the readout...15mpg avg gets u to 300 and 18 will get u to 360 ish...thats because it reads 0 miles to empty when there is still 6 gallons in there...for some reason they only show u 20 gallons worth, give or take a little but usually when it says 0 miles to empty u can put 20-21 gallons max in there. and its a 26 gal tank.

once it gets all adjusted to your driving you will see the numbers stay the same and consistant. if you want to kid yourself like many on here did for months that u can increase gas mileage just disconnnect the battery and let it set for a while then put it back on and it will magically show huge gains in MPGs again until u drive it a while.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
This 2010 5.7 in a DC TRD offroad package has it's up and down on the gas chart. Most of the raods are very flat down here as you know. I filled up on mid grade going to Houston (about 238 mile trip, with a little head winds rain). I peaked out on the way down there at about 17.9. On the way home i stopped in Bridge City and filled up with the low grade 87 and jumped on the hiway and reset odometer as well as average on my panel. From Bridge City to Lafayette it was on 19.6 going back home with slight tail wind. Drove that distance of about 120miles at 73 on cruise and it stayed at 19.6 the entire time. Seems like mine likes the 87 octane compared to the higher rated gas.. Just me two cents worth, plus you got to love those tailwinds they do make a difference
At this time my existing mileage on that tank worked out to about 420, but never had to chance to finish it out when i got back in town for a few days. If you baby it you can keep it up around 17 in town, if you can keep your foot out of the wicked trucks...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got 12k on mine, running Amsoil 0-30 and get 21.3 mpg on the highway.
city mileage sux at 12-13 mpg.
i'm about the same on the hwy just a little lower 20-21 at 60-70mph
but city if i keep my foot out of it coast a lot i normaly get about 16mpg
5.7 dc 4X4

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't understand how you can get 21 on hwy and such low mileage in town. I consistently get 16-17 locally and I have yet to see anything near 20 on hwy.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
This 2010 5.7 in a DC TRD offroad package has it's up and down on the gas chart. Most of the raods are very flat down here as you know. I filled up on mid grade going to Houston (about 238 mile trip, with a little head winds rain). I peaked out on the way down there at about 17.9. On the way home i stopped in Bridge City and filled up with the low grade 87 and jumped on the hiway and reset odometer as well as average on my panel. From Bridge City to Lafayette it was on 19.6 going back home with slight tail wind. Drove that distance of about 120miles at 73 on cruise and it stayed at 19.6 the entire time. Seems like mine likes the 87 octane compared to the higher rated gas.. Just me two cents worth, plus you got to love those tailwinds they do make a difference
At this time my existing mileage on that tank worked out to about 420, but never had to chance to finish it out when i got back in town for a few days. If you baby it you can keep it up around 17 in town, if you can keep your foot out of the wicked trucks...
I do all city driving and i get 12.5-13.5 and i drive easy. I have no idea how it's possible to get 17 city. I'm not calling anyone out but I always see these kinds of numbers and I think I must have a different engine or something. Most I've ever gotten on highway was 18 and 13.5 city. Most I've ever seen on miles to empty was something like 330.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am more small town and rural area which I consider as city mpg. I very rarely get in the foot taking off unless I need to get by and switch lanes. I don't drive like a little old lady peering over the steering wheel but most my shift points are less than 2K rpm. I use a calculator to compute and not rely on the display. I have noticed my display is lower (15 mpg) than when I calculate myself.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I guess that city driving milage probably is highly affected by how much time you spend sitting still with the engine running. Where I live I spend a good bit of time at red lights and also in the drive through at Starbucks :blushed:... I never really considered how much this probably lowers my MPG calculations. So I guess my "city" driving could be a lot different than the next guy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I first bought my truck I could care less about the milage it got because I was too distracted with the POWER it has. Then, I started reading all the threads about milage and ways to increase it. Now, I am back to caring less (maybe because gas prices aren't heading to $5 a gallon). One thing that makes me realize why it isn't such a big deal is that
1. It's a truck,
2. it's a 4x4 and
3. if I'm so worried about milage, then I should have got another Tacoma with a 4 banger.

Just my thought fellows. Enjoy your Tundras, life's too short.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do all city driving and i get 12.5-13.5 and i drive easy. I have no idea how it's possible to get 17 city. I'm not calling anyone out but I always see these kinds of numbers and I think
Not all city's are created equal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yah, city driving for me is all freeways and expressways. Stop light to stop light driving would kill mileage in any car, except a hybrid, where you get the most gains in battery powered cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gee wont even let you pump your own gas, good thang you don't have to work in a oil refinry & make the stuff. Oh yea that's right it just magicaly jumps in those tankers & pumps straight to your local gas station. Some times I wonder if this country ain't just doomed to fail.
In New Jersey its the same; no self-serve gas. Its a political thing here. More jobs that way. Of course, it has just turned into more jobs for the illegals. No gas refineries in Oregon, and no nuke plants. They tore down the only nuke plant in Oregon a few years ago. This is a green state now. So we import all of the evil pre-refined gasoline, diesel, NG and coal... :plane:

We have already failed as a nation. Debt, debt, and more debt. Obama says he is going to sped us into a 10 trillion dollar national debt. We have also burned up most of our own oil here long since (peaked in the 1970s). I believe that the two issues are directly related. :help:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I first bought my truck I could care less about the milage it got because I was too distracted with the POWER it has. Then, I started reading all the threads about milage and ways to increase it. Now, I am back to caring less (maybe because gas prices aren't heading to $5 a gallon). One thing that makes me realize why it isn't such a big deal is that
1. It's a truck,
2. it's a 4x4 and
3. if I'm so worried about milage, then I should have got another Tacoma with a 4 banger.

Just my thought fellows. Enjoy your Tundras, life's too short.

i'm pretty sure what i wrote didn't state that i had a problem with the gas mileage...i simply was wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing. if i had problems with the gas then i wouldn't have gotten the truck. my bike gets good enough mileage that i don't have to worry about it, but if it means i can save a little money by learning some new tricks i don't see the harm in that either.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I guess to equal out the equation would be "What do I consider in town driving". I live outside of Lafayette, LA. I try my best to stay out of the early morning and late afternoon traffic. I have 7 miles of mostly backroads with four or five stop signs. I don't do the city driving till after the traffic dies down. I have got stuck in town behind a wreck and just sitting there mileage starts to creep down. You guys that hit the turnpikes and loops and sitting in traffic for 20-30 minutes at a time, I could definitely see how your mileage would drop quick. I JUST HATE TRAFFIC AND TRY TO AVOID IT ALL TIMES. If the wife needs milk, i usually wait till 9-10 at night to go and get it. Doesn't make her happy though.. what does?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts