Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
"City driving" could be considered anywhere that the brakes have to be applied. The heat that is generated by braking is energy lost from the gasoline that is burned to propel the truck. Then the truck's momentum has to be created again from a stop thus requiring additional gas - especially in jack-rabbit starts. Sitting at idle uses gas with no mileage put on the odometer so naturally that will use gas to no advantage. Repeat that scenario over and over again and it is called "city driving".

"Highway driving" would be not using brakes, maintaining a constant speed, and driving at the speed limit or lower. :( Higher speeds increase wind resistance in a non-linear way and require more gas to overcome.

But, if you can afford the truck then you can afford the gas to drive it like you want. It is chump change unless there is a long commute involved. A truck is probably not the best choice for that task anyway.

For the price of a McDonald's meal for a family the truck can be driven like a maniac for a month.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
No offense GSXR750guy, but after you're on the forum for a few months, you'll see this identical thread get restarted over and over again. Even the comments are pretty much re-runs. LOL
Enjoy your truck :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I do all city driving and i get 12.5-13.5 and i drive easy. I have no idea how it's possible to get 17 city. I'm not calling anyone out but I always see these kinds of numbers and I think I must have a different engine or something. Most I've ever gotten on highway was 18 and 13.5 city. Most I've ever seen on miles to empty was something like 330.

People have different definitions of city. Some have cities where the speed limit is 30-35 mph and there are no or minimal stop lights. I live in an area where city means you have a stop light ever few hundred yards and will likely get stuck at a bunch of them leaving you idling over 1 minute at each light.

Now my area is ousting the clover leaf and you're just stuck at that many more lights.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
No offense GSXR750guy, but after you're on the forum for a few months, you'll see this identical thread get restarted over and over again. Even the comments are pretty much re-runs. LOL
Exactly right! I don't even know why I continue to reply on these threads. I guess I just see peoples unbelievable MPG numbers and I cant help myself!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
understandable....i was looking through the threads last night and saw a couple of them. thanks for the input though.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts