Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I get the "we need you to come in and have your gas pedal modification done" card in the mail.

I plan to call them Monday and tell them nobody is modifying anything.

Can there be any repercussions from Toyota/Dealer?

·
Registered
374 Posts
No repercussions. When I received my pedal recall and floor mat recall notices several months ago I promptly threw them in my filing cabinet and forgot about them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the pedal or the floor mats. NO WAY am I having some half-assed repair where they chop or grind the pedal done on my truck. I also am not giving up my All Weather mats. Just like I said when this whole BS thing surfaced, it was driver error causing the problems. People that confuse the brake and accelerator in an emergency situation then blame the manufacturer for their error. If you do take your truck in for any other issues tell them you do not want these two recalls performed. Don't be surprised if the dealer lies and says you must have it done. You are under no legal obligation to have them done, none. They will probably state on your work order that you declined to have the recalls performed which is fine.

Federal law gives you 10 years after a recall is issued to get the work done if you choose at no cost. There are millions and millions of cars on the road with open recalls.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
BUT, if you have a problem that they can connect to the needed repairs, they can decide not to do otherwise warrantable work.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
If you care to do it, just buy the new pedal for $30...and install it yourself.

Takes about 5 minutes with a 10mm socket and one clip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Excellent point! I’m going to ask them not to do the recall during my next service trip but if they make any issue out of it I’ll do just what you suggested for sure. :D

If you care to do it, just buy the new pedal for $30...and install it yourself.

Takes about 5 minutes with a 10mm socket and one clip.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I skipped the recall. My service guy said it was my choice and I don't see anything wrong with the original pedal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After having the recall done on my gas pedal it's my opinion to either not get it done or insist on a replacement gas pedal completely. The recall for me made my gas pedal soooo sensitive it was near impossible to creep the truck or pull away from lights without whip lash. After a few months of driving with the recall I complained and my service manager said I could try a new pedal and when he installed it he showed me the difference between them. My pedal after the recall was very soft in the inital push which made it react very quickly. I personally think Toyota may have created as many follow up problems by modding the pedal. They should have just redesigned it and replaced them. I now have the new style pedal and it's back to the way my truck was when I bought it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i told them my gas pedal had a "dead spot" in it sometimes.....i got a new pedal...no trimming here

·
Banned
444 Posts
I took my truck in for warranty work on the rear end, And the chopped my pedal up, I wasn't planning on doing it..But o well.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, I initially got the "shim" modification and the pedal felt rather spongy after that. But another trip insisting on the new pedal made a BIG difference. Not saying it was any better than the original, but much better than the shim-fix. I didn't go through the pedal shaving or anything like that.
If you're going to do it, just insist on getting the new pedal...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciate everyones input!

I decided to just ignore their plea.

Just was looking for a bit of reassurance that I could ignore this with all the recent crap about runaway idiots.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Nope, Its YOUR Truck They cant tell you what you can and can-not do with it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i cant recall where i put my recall notices...trash maybe? i dunno. my truck hasnt seen a toyota service dept except for my first two free oil changes, and then once for a tailgate latch repair where a clip fell off. hasnt been back to them since for anything and i dont anticipate it going back either. additionaly they WILL NOT be doing any recalls on my truck. way too many stories about the crappy pedal feel

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I actually like the new pedal better then my UN-shimmed original one.

The shape is better for my foot, and it's smoother.

I have the original one sitting right here for posterity.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I actually like the new pedal better then my UN-shimmed original one.

The shape is better for my foot, and it's smoother.

I have the original one sitting right here for posterity.
i should do that and the mount the old one on the passenger side for those rare moments when my wife is driving and im riding shotgun...need a brake pedal and steering wheel too though....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts