Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so who didn't like the feel of having your old gas pedal shimmed and requested a brand new pedal? Did it make a big difference in how the pedals feels/responds?

I had the recall performed a few months ago and I and the SO do not like the looseness of the "fixed" pedal. I go over bumps and my foot in on and off the gas because the pedal has little resistance to movement IMO.

I spoke with the dealer - any new pedal he installs will be the same manufacturer, the CTS and Denso pedals are not interchangeable, and it will have the fix built in so essentially there will be no change in the feel from what I'm currently experiencing.

Is that what those of you that had new pedals installed experienced - the fix for the fix was no different? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My understanding and research has shown that the new style pedal part number 04000-0440C has had nothing but great reviews and comments from those who have had it installed. I'm actually getting this pedal installed today at 3:00 pm from a local dealer at no charge. I'll report back and let you know how I like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
new pedal makes a BIG Difference. I piked up my crewmax like 2months ago and already had the shims performed to it( i wasnt aware of this) took it to the delarship and no questions asked got my pedal replace in 2 hours and boy what a difference. Its like day to night comparasin. Hopefully u get urs replaced if not make some phone calls to corporate and complain

·
Registered
62 Posts
Darth,

I just had new pedal installed today. It is very nice, not too firm and not too light on the pressure. The part number is listed above. Good luck!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stealerships try to talk you out of it.... get the new design gas pedal... PERIOD. Ignore what they said. You will be happier once you change to new gas pedal. I do not want to see the shimmed and trimmed pedal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was told that they dont make a new designed pedal for the Sequoia and it will be the same pedal if they did order it and would have to shim that aswell. How did anyone get a pedal replaced with the recall , is it only for the tundra? And if you did get it on a Sequoia how did you go about that?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life. I just had the pedal fix completed and hate it. It's real bad when trying to hold a steady pedal when towing as the trailer jars the Sequoia. Hopefully the dealer will make this easy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why did you have the "fix" done?

I purposely told the dealer not to touch my gas pedal whenever it was in for oil changes. They quit asking lately.

Maybe you can get it "un-fixed"?

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of those why not just in case deals. I called the dealer and he said no problem, Toyota says if your not happy we will give you a new pedal so come back and we will change it. I'll report back if I'm happy.

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
i was wondering, does it void the rest of your warrantee if you choose not to have this particular fix done?

·
Registered
220 Posts
As a follow-up to my old post, I had the gas pedal replaced and its just like the original. Much better than the recall fix.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the fix completed in early November and hated the way the gas pedal felt. My fix had terrible results, when you were at a stop and went then put your foot on the gas pedal it felt like it would catch and you had to give it more force and as soon as you did it would break free and the truck would take off thrusting you and any occupants to the back of your seats. This was not an every time thing but it was annoying none the less. So I went back to the dealer for an oil change and asked them at that time to replace the last fix with a new pedal, they did so without any reservation. Kudos to Beechmont Toyota in Cincinnati. As soon as I got in the truck and drove away from the dealer I could tell an immediate difference. So anyone that got the fix with the shim and pedal cut off and are not happy I would go back to your dealer and tell them you are not happy with it and that you want a new pedal put on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just want to say thanks to the people who discussed this issue. I had the "loose pedal" in my used 08 Sequoia. If it wasn't for threads like this, I wouldn't have known what to do. Called my local dealer today and had the original pedal with the shim replaced with a new pedal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. I had the "shim fix" for about a week before I called Toyota to say "Ain't no friggin' way I'm driving my truck like this!" They gave me a replacement part number over the phone and said I could ask for it at the dealer. The guys here in Iowa City made no qualms about it. They installed the new CTS pedal assembly and the "feel" went back to normal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hated the repair solution as well. It felt springy and loose. Toyota replaced it with no questions asked and it is much better and feels close to original.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still suffering with the springy pedal. I was assured by the recall dealer that any replacement pedal would feel exactly the same as the recall. Maybe I should try another dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought I was crazy until I read this tread. I have owned 3 Toyotas, 2-4th gen 4Runners 04 & 08 and a 05 Camry since 04. My Mother-in-law also has a 09 Rav4. None of those other Toyotas feel like my Sequoia does. It surges forward from a stop unless you step on the gas like there is a egg under your foot your trying not to break. Its been driving me crazy!! "No pun intended" I will be on the phone with Fred Anderson Toyota here in Raleigh, NC tomorrow to schedule the replacement. I am sure the "shim mod" was done based on everyones discription. I thought it was the adaptive/learned driving crap that was just to aggressive since I got it used, I just figured the dealer asses drove it like they stole it and it needed to relearn. Thanks again to all that posted. I love www.T4R.org for my 4Runners and tundrasolutions is a great forum!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought I was crazy until I read this tread. I have owned 3 Toyotas, 2-4th gen 4Runners 04 & 08 and a 05 Camry since 04. My Mother-in-law also has a 09 Rav4. None of those other Toyotas feel like my Sequoia does. It surges forward from a stop unless you step on the gas like there is a egg under your foot your trying not to break. Its been driving me crazy!! "No pun intended" I will be on the phone with Fred Anderson Toyota here in Raleigh, NC tomorrow to schedule the replacement. I am sure the "shim mod" was done based on everyones discription. I thought it was the adaptive/learned driving crap that was just to aggressive since I got it used, I just figured the dealer asses drove it like they stole it and it needed to relearn. Thanks again to all that posted. I love www.T4R.org for my 4Runners and tundrasolutions is a great forum!!
All Sequoia's are that way. Mine was bought new in '08 and has not had the shim mod done to it. Still sucks. I had a hard time this morning in the snow trying not to spin the tires (even in 4WD). The only time the pedal feels right is when I have about 6k lbs hooked up to the back of the vehicle.

Patrick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts