Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, on todays news, in calf. on the highway. the driver was standing on the brake pedal & hit the ebrake. & the chp helped by getting in front of him to slow him to a stop. this old man was shaken up.
this was not on the list.
he said all he did was he pushed on the pedal to pass a car, and it kept accelerating.
add another vehicle to todays list.

i have said it, since 2006 toyota has gone down hill. sorry to all you owner's, but you used to think toyota stood for excellance, no more. they are going to end up kill alot of people.
just like ford did with those firestone tires.
sadly i hope they resolve this.
but in the mean time, what if it's you??????????? pray.
gorilla

·
Registered
40 Posts
WTF is happening with Toyota??? I used to always think so highly of the brand then I buy one and all this crap starts happening. Even if/when all these issues get resolved, all of our resale values are in the tank.

This is getting old! What's left for them to recall?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I FEEL THE SAME WITH THIS BEING MY FIRST!

The salesmen have no smart [email protected]@ comments from here on, just better be the best price of the big 4 with TOYOTA part of the domestic club quality from here on if they don't change in future.
:cool:
WTF is happening with Toyota??? I used to always think so highly of the brand then I buy one and all this crap starts happening. Even if/when all these issues get resolved, all of our resale values are in the tank.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I still don't understand why he did not put the car in Neutral? is that a option on the prius?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi you know you can't blame the owner's. how about the company.
not all people know what to do. he tired to shut off the car, it didn't shut off.
the problem is with toyota not the owners.
we pay for the highest quality vehicle.
and if you belive that is what your getting, you are sadly mistaken.
they are trying to save money. and by doing so, they are killing the owners.
just wait till people start to die.
gorilla

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
well...I love conspiracy theories (good ones at least) and some things just don't add up. Clearly there is a problem, but if the pedal is used in Fords and other car manufacturers, why aren't they having issues? Also, have their been any accelerating issues in Europe?

I just saw the recent interview on that runaway prius and the 911 call was surprisingly calm. I have to say, the fact that he was doing 94mph and swerving in and out of lanes in a prius and on cookie cutter tires means he was either extremely lucky or a great driver! Glad no one was injured, but i have to think the issue is something else and the "pedal fix" is just buying time to fix the real issue....if there is a real issue! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
well...I love conspiracy theories (good ones at least) and some things just don't add up. Clearly there is a problem, but if the pedal is used in Fords and other car manufacturers, why aren't they having issues? Also, have their been any accelerating issues in Europe?

I just saw the recent interview on that runaway prius and the 911 call was surprisingly calm. I have to say, the fact that he was doing 94mph and swerving in and out of lanes in a prius and on cookie cutter tires means he was either extremely lucky or a great driver! Glad no one was injured, but i have to think the issue is something else and the "pedal fix" is just buying time to fix the real issue....if there is a real issue! ;)
I agree 100% with everything you said. There HAS to be something else........

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also thought there was something peculiar about the 911 call... did you also notice that when the 911 operator told him to put the car in neutral he paused, kind of stuttered and said that he couldn't because he was trying to control the car? Something just doesn't seem right about that... I'm not accusing anyone of being a fraud, but part of me is a bit skeptical of all the claims being made post-recall. There will always be someone trying to exploit a situation...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I also thought there was something peculiar about the 911 call... did you also notice that when the 911 operator told him to put the car in neutral he paused, kind of stuttered and said that he couldn't because he was trying to control the car? Something just doesn't seem right about that... I'm not accusing anyone of being a fraud, but part of me is a bit skeptical of all the claims being made post-recall. There will always be someone trying to exploit a situation...
Ya he said he thought the car might flip over if you put it in neutral? When the officer pulled next to him and said engage the emergency brake, he slowed down....funny how that works?

·
Registered
245 Posts
wow. i just cant believe another person with their gas pedal stuck chose to call 911 instead of shifting into neutral.....unbelievable!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is the gear selector electronically controlled? If so, it most likely would not have worked.
I just sold my 08 Tundra. I loved the power, but am tired of paying the high prices for any type of repair or parts. The other thing that really ticked me off was when someone backed into the bumper. They didn't stick around, but there was just a small dent in the bumber, which hit the bed and buckeled the side of the bed. I have a 90 Chevy 3+3 cab 3500, 4 X 4 duelly pick up. I tow near the capacity of the Tundra and it is not near as stable as the Chevy. Jegs has a 383 with 420 HP and 440 Ft Lbs. of torque for $3200. For the price of 4 payments, I'm going to replace the 454. The Chevy is is great shape, I can fix anything on it, with the 383, I'll have no electronics and it should run like a stripped butt ape. With no payments, the extra gas used will still be less than a monthly payment. The other plus is that anyone who hits the bumper like they did on the Tundra will end up having to fix their vehicle, mine will be fine. No more tin can trucks for me.
I've had it with newer vehicles. If you have the money to keep them up, I guess they are OK, but the economy has hit me pretty hard and I'm tired of supporting a vehicle.
A clean older PU is kinda classy anyway.

John K

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Is the gear selector electronically controlled? If so, it most likely would not have worked.
I just sold my 08 Tundra. I loved the power, but am tired of paying the high prices for any type of repair or parts. The other thing that really ticked me off was when someone backed into the bumper. They didn't stick around, but there was just a small dent in the bumber, which hit the bed and buckeled the side of the bed. I have a 90 Chevy 3+3 cab 3500, 4 X 4 duelly pick up. I tow near the capacity of the Tundra and it is not near as stable as the Chevy. Jegs has a 383 with 420 HP and 440 Ft Lbs. of torque for $3200. For the price of 4 payments, I'm going to replace the 454. The Chevy is is great shape, I can fix anything on it, with the 383, I'll have no electronics and it should run like a stripped butt ape. With no payments, the extra gas used will still be less than a monthly payment. The other plus is that anyone who hits the bumper like they did on the Tundra will end up having to fix their vehicle, mine will be fine. No more tin can trucks for me.
I've had it with newer vehicles. If you have the money to keep them up, I guess they are OK, but the economy has hit me pretty hard and I'm tired of supporting a vehicle.
A clean older PU is kinda classy anyway.

John K
I agree with you! But I've never seen a 'stripped butt ape'. Oh wait, I did, my son's father-in-law. No, wait, that guy is a stripped butt jackass. A few politicians fall into that category. Come to think of it I HAVE seen a stripped butt ape. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

Dexx, man, please change your avatar. That's freaking me out. Did you photoshop someone or what. Brrrrrrrrr sends a shiver down the spine just to look at it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
just wanted to respond to my own statement about why people dont shift into neutral in a run-away prius......answer is you cant!

i just went for my first ride in one, and found out the thing to do if your throttle sticks is press and hold the start button (you lose power steering but can still steer just fine as you coast to a stop)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I say BS..I think the guy is scaming....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dexx, man, please change your avatar. That's freaking me out. Did you photoshop someone or what. Brrrrrrrrr sends a shiver down the spine just to look at it.
Actually I just found the picture online and got a kick out of it. It's gotta be photoshopped, if not, this is one strange looking S.O.B.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
If the guy could pick up the phone and dial 911 I imagine he could have tried the other things mentioned here. Like the lady that jumped the curb and ran in to the the brick fence or whatever it was. I also think there is something going on here, Like, oh i was so shook up, i will have nightmares, pay me alot of money and maybe i will be able to sleep at night...........

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.