Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already worked the deal on my Tundra (Mid April). It will not arrive until the end of June/mid-July. I live in Northern Missouri and the only incentives at this point are 60 months @ 5.9%.

Gas jumped to $3.11 today and I doubt that it will be coming down anytime soon. Anyonelse experience a gas price increase today?

If the incentives are not better by the end of June, should I try to shop around for better deals at that time?:confused: My deposit was only $200.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You mean better deals with other manufacturers? There are better GM deals on the new trucks now that were announced earlier this week to match Dodge and Ford.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gas is about $3.50 here in CA, good thing I work at a local refinery :)

My credit union has 5.00% up to 84 months with good credit. Maybe you can join? it's navy federal.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean better deals with other manufacturers? There are better GM deals on the new trucks now that were announced earlier this week to match Dodge and Ford.
NO. I mean.....a better deal with another Toyota dealer trying to move inventory in late June. I think the dealer's might be more willing to compete in late June as opposed to mid April. Of course, I know that would defeat the purpose of me waiting for a special order:rolleyes:, but I did not expect a 12 week wait when I ordered.

I have no desire to own anything other than Toyota....as long as they continue to build quality vehicles:D

I guess I will continue to wait and hope for incentives and/or rebates in June/July.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I guess my point is that you may or may not be able to get a better deal regardless of factory incentives since those should be the same for any dealer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
v v v v v

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gas jumped to $3.11 today and I doubt that it will be coming down anytime soon. Anyonelse experience a gas price increase today?
lucky you...we're at $3.60 and climbing. It's already over $4.00 on the way to Vegas. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
lucky you...we're at $3.60 and climbing. It's already over $4.00 on the way to Vegas. :(
Went up about 20 cents today alone in Oklahoma City. It's at about 3.05 today and we normally have some of the cheapest gas around.

This will, most likely, slow truck sales considerably. Wonder what June incentives will bring?

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is suprising. I agree, OKC usually has some of the cheapest gas nationally. I filled up in Houston for $2.84 this morning.

There have been several refineries shut down for maintenance and it is causing a price bump.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think it's about time that someone post something to the effect that "If you are worried about gas mileage, then you shouldn't have bought a truck. You should have bought a Prius instead!!!" which is a reflex defensive response from anyone who is being given a hassle about poor gas mileage.

Gas prices well over $3 resulted in the first big round of inventory-clearing employee pricing from the Big 3. They must move their trucks off the lot and now Toyota is in the same game.

NO $10,000 PROFIT MARGIN FOR YOU TOYOTA!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it's about time that someone post something to the effect that "If you are worried about gas mileage, then you shouldn't have bought a truck. You should have bought a Prius instead!!!" which is a reflex defensive response from anyone who is being given a hassle about poor gas mileage.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :td:

I'm well aware of the fuel costs in owning a truck, however, that doesn't mean I(or anyone else) should be happy as fuel prices sore. This truck is not daily driven so I don't have to fill up "reguarly", but it still hurts watchin' that meter go up and up and...

It sucks in a Prius too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not saying we should "like" paying $3/gallon for gas (I'm only 34, and I can remember paying $.56 for 87 octane in high school), but we enjoy some of the cheapest gas in the world (exluding real oil producing nations in the Middle East). I'd give both my nutz to see $1.00/gallon again, but it aint happenin'.

In the UK, as an example, today's average fuel price is roughly $7.38/gallon.

(Granted, I agree they should be penalized for not having the good sense to move off that island 200 years ago, double seems harsh.)

If you're really worried about true fuel "economy", Toyota makes some other options.

When your batteries die, and you're out of gas, because you forgot that you still have to put fuel in your marvelously efficient hybrid, I will load your car in the back of my Tundra, still get to 60 in under 10 seconds, and haul your tree huggin a** back to an alternative fuel station. I'll then purchase a Starbucks and a donut loaded with processed white flour and then go club some baby seals.

*End of rant*:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
San Francisco region went to 0% for up to 60 months today. How's that for incentive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm not saying we should "like" paying $3/gallon for gas (I'm only 34, and I can remember paying $.56 for 87 octane in high school), but we enjoy some of the cheapest gas in the world (exluding real oil producing nations in the Middle East). I'd give both my nutz to see $1.00/gallon again, but it aint happenin'.

(Granted, I agree they should be penalized for not having the good sense to move off that island 200 years ago, double seems harsh.)

If you're really worried about true fuel "economy", Toyota makes some other options.

When your batteries die, and you're out of gas, because you forgot that you still have to put fuel in your marvelously efficient hybrid, I will load your car in the back of my Tundra, still get to 60 in under 10 seconds, and haul your tree huggin a** back to an alternative fuel station. I'll then purchase a Starbucks and a donut loaded with processed white flour and then go club some baby seals.

.56 cents for gas in high school? Where did you live, Venezuela? I'm 38 and gas prices were around a $1 a gallon in the late 80's. I can still remember putting gas in my Puch moped for under $2.

Gas prices have a direct effect on the types of vehicles that are sold. Hybrids will boom this summer, and truck sales will falter. The first quarter of the year, truck sales were up because gas prices dropped .75 cents to $1 a gallon compared to where they are now. False hope! Now it costs $75 to fill up my tank. :eek:

You are right about the batteries. In 8-10 years, when you need to replace the batteries, you could be looking at $10,000. That will quickly offset the fuel savings over that time period. On top of that, I don't know too many mechanics that want to stick their head in a vehicle that could potentially light them up like the sun.

I was with you up until you started clubbing baby seals. Adult seals - OK. Babies - ouch. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Gas prices well over $3 resulted in the first big round of inventory-clearing employee pricing from the Big 3. They must move their trucks off the lot and now Toyota is in the same game.

NO $10,000 PROFIT MARGIN FOR YOU TOYOTA!
Gas prices will not stop me from owning this truck. I believe gas prices will actually save me some money on this truck;) The second paragraph of your quote is the information I was looking for. Thanks.

Gas prices have a direct effect on the types of vehicles that are sold. Hybrids will boom this summer, and truck sales will falter. The first quarter of the year, truck sales were up because gas prices dropped .75 cents to $1 a gallon compared to where they are now. False hope! Now it costs $75 to fill up my tank. :eek:
Yes.....in Feb. we stayed around $1.80 for a few weeks.....then the prices started moving $.01-.02 every couple of days. Now look at the prices.....they jump $.10-.15 every couple days. We are being set-up for a Hurricane increase. What happens when the prices are around $3.50-3.75.....and a major Hurricane hits the Gulf:( $120 tank of gas:eek:

·
Registered
536 Posts

I agree. Our gas is still very cheap compared to Europe. I remember paying over $5/gal and that was over ten years ago. That price didn't alter what I drove or how fast. I miss crusing at 120mph on the autobahn. I had the original Saab 9000 SE Turbo. The exact vehicle is in the Saab museum. You could actually see the gas gauge moving as you were driving. I paid $3.50 yesterday. Big deal. It is not going to stop me from living my life. Time to go toss some of my flies to pea-brained trout.

·
Registered
394 Posts
.56 cents for gas in high school? Where did you live, Venezuela? I'm 38 and gas prices were around a $1 a gallon in the late 80's. I can still remember putting gas in my Puch moped for under $2.

I was with you up until you started clubbing baby seals. Adult seals - OK. Babies - ouch. :rolleyes:
I lived in a small town in Texas. There were two small independant gas station/convenience stores across the street from each other who kept dropping their prices by .01 or so to get business. The price war ended @.56, while we enjoyed putting half a tank in our old Ford truck for $10.

As for the whole seal thing, I would never harm one, unless it attacked me.:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a receipt in my hand from July 4, 1999, with a price of 88.9 per gallon at Flying J in Blacksburg, SC. I cannot find the receipt for the 68.9 from December 1988 for the first fill-up of my 1999 F250 SD [V10Gas] but that is my memory. It kept going up with a few downs from that somewhat recent low point. I was well out of high school, college, etc. in 1998/99!!!!!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yup. I wasn't a truck buyer until my current truck and distinctly remember NOT looking at the fuel economy sticker because at less than $1 per gallon, it really didn't matter much at all. Thanks for taking us back to the good ol' days. :cry:

·
Registered
324 Posts
This was outside Oklahoma City back in '02 on a trip to Atlanta from CA. Fuel has now more than doubled. Keep in mind too that Europeans & the Britts, on average, drive far less and travel much smaller distances than we do. Some of you actually sound proud that you spend so much on fuel. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts