Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Thats Awesome! I need to get me one!!!!!

:hurt:

Its amazing they can even sell/market stuff live that. 7-10mpg, 40hp???? The age old question is if it was that easy, why wouldnt Toyota have done it?

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
The best way to save gas in your Tundra is to keep your engine properly tuned, keep your tires properly inflated, and ease up on the throttle.

Don't waste your time or money on stuff like "Gas Saver Chips". If things like this actually worked, Toyota would have installed it at the factory.

·
2,875 Posts
When I saw it connects via two wires I immediately thought of the resistor trick the gm guys used to do to trick the internal air temp sensor into thinking it was colder and enriching the fuel mixture for more power. I'd almost bet this device is doing the same thing which is why it's advertised for such a wide range of model years. It probaby operates off line voltage so it doesn't do anything under 3500 rpm which is probably a voltage strap triggering a higher voltage on the line which activates the box to trick the ecu into thinking the temp is way lower than it actually is. They package it in a nice little box but the gm guys used to do this for like $5 and a few minutes of splicing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People actually buy into this garbage. What a shame they are even allowed to sell it. I guess snake oil is on their shelf too.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
just kidding buy try putting an egg underneath your gas pedal and try not to crack it. If you crack it then you are going too fast. My pap told me that.

If you want to maintain optimum fuel economy then I suggest the following:

inflate tires to proper specification
clean throttle body and mass air flow sensor about 1 a year.
replace fuel filter every 75-100K
try running synthetic oil. I run Amsoil 10w30 XL
try a bottle of P.I. fuel injector cleaner. AMSOIL - P.i. Performance Improver (API) ( I've noticed about a 1 mpg improvement).
Flush transmission every 40K I do.
Change spark plugs with 50k-75k with the factory denso spark plugs.
keep foot out of pedal.
Run only Toyota air filters.

·
Registered
917 Posts
if you want to save money try switching all the fluids to full synthetic.
I use syn in the engine to prolong oil changes. As far as money saved there is none. You spend 2x as much and it last longer but no savings. If you think you get fuel saving how long will it take to make up the extra cost. But fuel savings is clean air cleaner and prop. inflated tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't going to buy one, just thought it was a joke. My 02 is a V-6 so I should get decent mileage anyway. 18-20 MPG.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Hi Guys,

i am the proud owner of a 2002 extended cab Tundra I bought used about 2 years ago. Initially i was very diasapointed in the gas milage so i started reading about stuff that might improve the milage. When I first got my truck i got 13 city and 15 highway miles then i did the following...

Installed less aggresive tires (changed mud terrian to AT)
cleaned TB and MAS
all round fluid change
all round filter change
BG44K
Denso Plugs
Canvise bed cover
TRD Dual Exhaust
K&N FIPK CAI
Dastek Unichip.

I am quite heavy on the gas but with all this done my gas milage in the city increased to 16 and 21 higway miles. 40hp increase after installing the Unichip and i do not antisipate a MPG increase with the chip. The unichip is an awesome addition to any Tundra owner. See if you can find a used one from someone you know and you can trust. I paid $250 for mine which makes it well worth it. $800 is a little steep for it new but i do think it is worth the money though. I would like to add a set of JBL headers but paying more for the install than the headers it self just kills me. If you have any questions regarding the Unichip please feel free to ask. I know this product quite well for it is a South African product and My uncle has been a certified installer for the last 15 years or so.... Check out Welcome to Maus Performance!

Good luck

J

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
the real gas saver chip is built-in, in your right foot.
Living proof: I drove my truck 650 miles up to TN last week, in tandem with a friend that was pulling a trailer. So as not to run off and leave him, I poked along I-75 at 65 mph. I checked it a couple of times and it was 2-3 MPG higher than when I'm running 70-75.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts