Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here built/installed a deflector or skid plate for their gas tank?
Do you really need s ome heavy duty equiptment to make one?

My gas tank has taken a huge beating from rocks being bounced up from the front tires at speed. The plastic part has already broken off and the tank itself has some serious bruises.

Show pix if you got them. Thanks

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I have never had or seen a problem from rocks flying up like this. I've seen rock damage from direct contact while offroading, but not from rocks flying up. Did you think about a thick mudflap hung in front of the tank? That would definatley stop the rocks before doing any damage. Just a thought.

·
7,925 Posts
Has anyone here built/installed a deflector or skid plate for their gas tank?
Do you really need s ome heavy duty equiptment to make one?

My gas tank has taken a huge beating from rocks being bounced up from the front tires at speed. The plastic part has already broken off and the tank itself has some serious bruises.

Show pix if you got them. Thanks

Go to a local sheet metal shop and have them fabricate a skid plate out of 10 gauge or 7 gauge. Should be fairly straight forward and affordable. Make a template out of thick tack board with the holes in the right location and they will be happy to do it for you. Have not looked at my set-up under my truck but I cannot imagine that it is that complicated. At worst if they cannot bend it on a press brake then they can cut the plate and weld attachment brackets to it so you can attach it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts