Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get this awful gasoline smell near my gas tank. The fuel gauge says empty so I put some gas into it. A lot of the gas comes pouring out from under the truck. I take it to Toyota and they say there's a big hole in the gasoline hose leading to the gas tank.

Then they say it will be $300 or so, and not covered under warranty. I'm at 16,xxx miles, and 32 months.

Excuse me, I thought the "Basic Warranty" covered " 36months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items)."

Since when is a hole in the gasoline hose NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR?

I am tempted to drop the keys off and say "Keep it". My lease is up in December anyway.

Give me some suggestions. Am I completely wrong about saying the gasoline hose isn't normal wear and tear? Even if a racoon got under my truck and decided to drink Gasoline (yeah right) for some reason. I dont recall ever having to change a gasoline hose on any of my vehicles EVER. How is this Normal wear?

Give me some advice. Thanks in advance ! :beavbutt:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
They can probably weasel their way out of this one pretty easily.

If you ask me, you should be looking for ways to prove that it wasn't a freak of nature - such as a raccoon. They'll be looking for it as to not have to have Toyota pay.

You might be stuck with a repair bill, or looking for the gas station at fault if the gas somehow ate through it.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
never seen it,, that sucks,,... prob was a rodent,, they loooove the taste of toyotas,, dont know why,,, mice LOVE the wire harnesses

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
They can EASILY replace it under the "customer satisfaction" part of your bumper to bumper. Remember that they have to PROVE you were at fault or at least they are not if they are not going to cover it. Call the 800 number and get their take. Sometimes thats all it takes. They were able to replace my rotors and pads under this clause and that is certainly a WEAR item!!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
They can EASILY replace it under the "customer satisfaction" part of your bumper to bumper. Remember that they have to PROVE you were at fault or at least they are not if they are not going to cover it. Call the 800 number and get their take. Sometimes thats all it takes. They were able to replace my rotors and pads under this clause and that is certainly a WEAR item!!!
i agree,, call the number,, the worse you gonna hear is a no...

·
Registered
823 Posts
^ much agreed there nice ppl on the phone to:tu:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
If your area is anything like mine there may be more than one toyota dealer near by, in that case I would take it to another dealership. If that is not an option then I would call corporate. If that doesn't work maybe you can find another local shop to do it a lot cheaper since it is just a hose afterall. Good luck to you man I would be pissed!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had the same problem on one of our work trucks we used to park outside, i learned that it was gas theft, there is an anti-siphon device in the filler so they just go through the filler hose, they seem to prefer large tanks like ours!

·
Registered
819 Posts
You could probably got to a parts shop and get the hose yourself and fix it. Just make sure to get one that is resistant to gas.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
your post intrigues me...of course its not a warranty repair if a racoon eats through it....how in the world would it be a manufacturing defect if something ate through it? im betting it was either a thief as stated above, or a rodent eating it or you hit something off road or on the road for that matter. post a pic of the damaged hose and we'll tell you. the only way it shoudl be a warranty item is if the hose itself just cracked or split or has some other type of leak from a DEFECT....or if it wore through because it was chafing on something that wasnt properly protected...again thats a defect. something getting under there and damaging it is not in anyway a defect and common sense tells you that too.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I doubt a rodent ate through it, but I bet someone was stealling your gas!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just make sure to get one that is resistant to gas.
And that it says "Ethanol Resistant". Most all of the gas now contains at least 10% Ethanol. It's making a mess out of my outboard motor's fuel lines...the last fuel hose I bought said "Ethanol Resistant, meets SAE J 1527....whatever that is!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
your post intrigues me...of course its not a warranty repair if a racoon eats through it....how in the world would it be a manufacturing defect if something ate through it? Im betting it was either a thief as stated above, or a rodent eating it or you hit something off road or on the road for that matter. Post a pic of the damaged hose and we'll tell you. The only way it shoudl be a warranty item is if the hose itself just cracked or split or has some other type of leak from a defect....or if it wore through because it was chafing on something that wasnt properly protected...again thats a defect. Something getting under there and damaging it is not in anyway a defect and common sense tells you that too.

^^^^^^ qft^^^^^^

·
Registered
559 Posts
He's in Tampa, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was somebody stealing gas. Post pics of it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hoses are items that are often excluded from extended warranties, even the platinum type ones. But orignal warranty? Unless it was damaged by external factors (vandalism/rodents/ offroad incident etc.) then I would have expected it to be covered as a goodwill item at least.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hoses are items that are often excluded from extended warranties, even the platinum type ones. But orignal warranty? Unless it was damaged by external factors (vandalism/rodents/ offroad incident etc.) then I would have expected it to be covered as a goodwill item at least.

What else would it have been "damaged" by.........just curious.

Unless it was installed incorrectly from the get-go, causing chaffing, or it dry rotted or split, (doubtful) I can't believe anyone would expect Toy to pay.......goodwill or otherwise.

Maybe I should hit Toy up for my cracked windshield........or maybe the tire that got a sidewall puncture? It would certainly be a goodwill gesture.:)

·
Registered
859 Posts
What else would it have been "damaged" by.........just curious.

Unless it was installed incorrectly from the get-go, causing chaffing, or it dry rotted or split, (doubtful) I can't believe anyone would expect Toy to pay.......goodwill or otherwise.

Maybe I should hit Toy up for my cracked windshield........or maybe the tire that got a sidewall puncture? It would certainly be a goodwill gesture.:)
Isn't that what I just said? Think you are reading too much into my syntax.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Zero chance IMO that the fuel filler hose, or primary send and return line would fail on these vehicles in 100 years of use. This hose failed because it was hit by a rock, animal chewed it or (the most likely) someone was trying to steal your gas.
If a non pressure hose failed it would do it very gradually....like a crack from drying out from years of storage or sitting in the sun....they NEVER fail with a big hole all of a sudden.

Whatever caused the hose to fail was not toyotas fault however it is insane that the hose and install cost 300$.

You could get a fuel safe hose and replace it yourself in about 15 minutes. Dont even need to drop the tank.

Good luck....

~JH

·
Registered
859 Posts
Is it time to bring up that panacea of all things repair related, duct tape? :)
Yeah, some of the namby pambies will bring up the fact that its a fuel hose, and that it wont stick well because of the gas, and that it's dangerous and will leak. Hell, some will even call it 'unprofessional' but come on, are you a man or a mouse? Duct tape that bad boy and cross your fingers. Probably should lay off the cigarettes within 50 yds of your truck though......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts