Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had problems with their gauge cluster fuse blowing? Following the check engine light coming on, I replaced both front O2 sensors with OEM Denso units.

Since then, about every 2 days, the fuse (10A) controlling the gauge cluster (speedo, etc) blows and there are no gauges or A/C.

If I put in a new fuse, no problem until about another 2 days when it blows again.

I thought it must be something with the O2 sensors so I got under and removed the wiring harnesses, sprayed them with contact cleaner and reinstalled. No apparent problems with the wires and no warning lights come on before or after.

The fuse seems to blow either during start-up or while turning the car off. It has not blown while the car is running.

Does anyone know what is linked to the 10A gauge cluster/A/C control fuse? Any previous experience with this one out there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That sucks! No idea....

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
That does suck having the mini fuses blow all the time, they're not cheap at almost a $1/each at a hardware store.

Does your radio go off, clock reset, and driver's side airbag light come on too? It could be your ACC Cut Relay.

But to investigate this a little better, which fuse is actually blown? Here are my guesses:
Engine Room R/B 10A Fuses: A/C, Dome
Driver's Side J/B 10A Fuse: Gauge

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mini fuse is in the interior panel, labeled Gauge (bottom right corner of the panel). It is a 10A and seems to link the panel (speedo cluster, etc) and the A/C controls as the A/C won't work without it. Also, no turn signal indicator - not sure if they are working or not.

Everything else works perfectly fine and the truck runs without any problems. No warning lights or any indication anything is wrong, just a blown fuse.

It has to be current leaking to ground but I can't imagine it is a O2 sensor, I would assume they would trigger a fault. I originally thought it was the dielectric grease I applied to the O2 connector preventing a proper connection but I went back and cleaned it all out and after about 2 days, the Gauge fuse blew again.

I am going to spend some time on it tonight and will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI:

Found it, it was corrosion on the ground wire for my aftermarket reverse camera. I should have run it all the way to the vehicle ground but got lazy during install.

The P0500 error code caused by the reverse circuit fuse trip was completely wrong; nothing wrong with the speed sensors.

The computer can't diagnose everything but as I had the benefit of being the only one to have made any modifications, I knew what every wire was doing and where it was. This is a perfect example of how issues are often not caused by any defect in the car iteself but by what previous owners, or yourself, may have done to cause them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all gauges went out on my 2008 tundra today. Can anybody tell me what fuse this is or where its located. 2008 dc limited no nav.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cluster fuse is located within the interior fuse panel in the lower dash. (When your left shin is while driving)

I think that it is even labeled "Cluster" on the diagram on the little door but will look tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Tundra instrument cluster keeps going out and the fuse keeps blowing when I replace it and I get PO500, PO713, and C1241 codes. I have a brand new alternator and battery. Any ideas what is going on? I am at my wit's end. Thank you for any help.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
My Tundra instrument cluster keeps going out and the fuse keeps blowing when I replace it and I get PO500, PO713, and C1241 codes. I have a brand new alternator and battery. Any ideas what is going on? I am at my wit's end. Thank you for any help.
something is shorting out, likely a wire sheath is open and scraping a piece of metal somewhere. What have you changed just prior to the fuses starting to go?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts