Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Tundra DC 5.7L.

For an unknown reason today, my temp, oil pressure and tachometer stopped working. Also, my ABS light and traction control lights came on. Additionally my outside air temperature and instant miles per gallon stopped working. The truck seems to drive fine, but the speedometer bounces around once in a while. This truck was my sons until recently, and he tells me that it has happened to him in the past and lasts for a day or two and then goes away. What the heck could be causing this. No aftermarket stuff on this truck that could have caused this. The battery is fine and starts the truck with no problem. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Well ........ if they went off and stayed off I would say the MET-B fuse, but if they come back on after a while it has to be some sort of a bad connection. Maybe one of the connectors on the back of the dash is loose??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, checked all the fuses, theyre good. Have no idea how to take the dash apart to check the connections. Unless someone has a another idea, guess I'm making an expensive trip to the Toyota dealer. Gotta make sure it's working good soon, because I'm headed to Florida next week with it. I'm sure they'll charge me $500 to tell me they have no idea, or tighten a loose connector.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well ........ if they went off and stayed off I would say the MET-B fuse, but if they come back on after a while it has to be some sort of a bad connection. Maybe one of the connectors on the back of the dash is loose??
ok, checked all the fuses, theyre good. Have no idea how to take the dash apart to check the connections. Unless someone has a another idea, guess I'm making an expensive trip to the Toyota dealer. Gotta make sure it's working good soon, because I'm headed to Florida next week with it. I'm sure they'll charge me $500 to tell me they have no idea, or tighten a loose connector.
I agree with Mendonsy. Sure sounds suspiciously like a loose connector/connection in the dash area. I don't have the schematic handy; but, I do know J28 (located on the backside of the gauge cluster) supports circuitry for most of the gauge cluster to include the speedometer, tachometer, various gauges, and the Drive Monitor Switch which in-turn controls the time, AVG MPG, INST MPG, display on the center dash. Since you're having problems in most of these areas, IMO, it's sure worth a look. You also mentioned problems with the ABS and traction control lights. I believe the control lines for these indicators also go through J28, but without a schematic I can't be sure.

Anyhow, check out the link below. Post #2 (all the pictures and section 1, steps 1-4) by PoPo show and describe how to remove the kick panel and lower dash to get to the upper dash and gauge cluster assemblies (J28 is behind the gauge cluster assembly). Checking J28 and all the other connectors in the dash area to make sure they're firmly connected just may save you a very expensive trip to the dealer. Good luck!

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/192965-official-how-add-mpg-buttons-thread/

Tip: After you get the upper dash (grey cover) loose, don't pull on it too hard. There's a black dust cover connected between the upper dash and steering column that must be loosened first. It's held by 4 push clips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any solution to this? I have the same issue on my 08 CM limited. Usually moving the shifter to park & back to drive resets the gauges. Also my battery has been showing a lower charge about 2/3 charged. I tested volts with the truck running & I get about 14volts. I replaced my battery last month after I could not even start the truck. It's been fine since with intermittent gauge failure though.... Any ideas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wanted to pass on some info. I have this exact same problem. It's been off and on for the last two years. After several trips to the dealer and getting nowhere I took a video of what was going on. The problem got much worse in that I could no longer stop and start the engine and let it reset. It now took an hour or more for the engine to be stopped. After pushing the dealer to do something (my Tundra was running normally when I took it in) they were able to duplicate the problem after a day. They've now had my truck for 4 days and have no clue on the cause or a fix. It's being elevated nationally to see if there is a fix floating out there. I will post more information when I have it. If anybody did get a fix to this can you post it. The solutions aren't any of the above because I had them try those. Hopefully there will be good news soon. I don't like driving the truck when it's messed up especially since the last time I was pulling a big RV in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 5.7 DC that has been doing the same thing. So far I have replaced the battery and checked all the fuses. Toyota dealership played dumb when I talked with them on the phone... I am getting sick of sinking $$$ into this truck for "mysteries problems" that nobody knows how to fix. Any input as to what might be causing this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
I know this is an old post but I have a 2016 tundra with 14000 miles and have a very similar problem. I have had it at the dealer for two weeks and they have replaced the gauge cluster and trailer brake controller. I got the truck back today and drove it 16 miles and the problem is back. I will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone had figured out the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
My truck had a GPS tracking system that I removed years ago and have never had this problem again. I would look for bad ground or something aftermarket causing a short.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2008 Tundra DC 5.7L.

For an unknown reason today, my temp, oil pressure and tachometer stopped working. Also, my ABS light and traction control lights came on. Additionally my outside air temperature and instant miles per gallon stopped working. The truck seems to drive fine, but the speedometer bounces around once in a while. This truck was my sons until recently, and he tells me that it has happened to him in the past and lasts for a day or two and then goes away. What the heck could be causing this. No aftermarket stuff on this truck that could have caused this. The battery is fine and starts the truck with no problem. Please advise.
Were you able to find the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you try to replace Ecu?
When did this start happening?
mine started after winching someone stuck and my truck slid forward
Rear wheels locked front wheels free
Slid forward in sand so truck ecu thought it was in an accident or skid
ZPC did not clear this but watching TECHSTREAM while driving around for a while I only noticed wheel acceleration difference, but wheel speed is equal
Every now and then the cluster will come back on and all is well
Stab the peddle and under a load is when the problem starts again.
Still digging in to this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what my mechanic mentioned to me that it might be the ECU just waiting for the system to go down again so he could confirm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts