Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a gear box for the top of my 2002 Sequoia (4 wd Limited) to carry gear for 7 people! Any suggestions, ideas, etc...

Thanks you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Tacoma... Thank you for the info! I will give them a try. Long weekend in Leavenworth when school gets out and we need the extra room (too many extra kids going with!)...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well, it's good to see that you started out with the right vehicle. We're trying to plan a Seattle get together July 27. There's only about 5 of us so far but let me know if you're interested. It's the first one here so I think people are a little hesitant to meet others.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Sears...

A buddy was recently pricing roof top luggage carriers for a road trip Utah- Alaska and back. He priced Thule and Yakima, and the box he wanted cost >$350.

I suggested he check with Sears (I remembered seeing an ad)... he found a 22 cu ft Sears brand hard shell carrier made by Thule for <$200.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

Quick update, I purchased the 675 Expedition model Thule (2100) which is their newest, largest gear box. Luckily, the new models come in silver which matched my Sequoia perfectly! Being quite nervous with this large of a box on top of my car, 8 bodies in it and lots of goodies in the back, the car ran amazingly smooth! You could not feel that we had the box on top, and it was fully loaded! No thumps, squeaks, noises at all! I would definintely recommend it to anyone looking!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, 90+ and gorgeous! House on the gorgeous Wenatchee River (too bad Salmon fishing is closed!). Ran to the water park in Lake Chelan. Awesome food, great kids, maybe a cocktail or two too many in the evenings in the hot tub! What more could you want!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sears Auto sells a hardtop with aero design just like Thule's...I think it's called sportv20...for 20cu.ft...hope to get it for our annual camping trip to PA next month, this one sells for $150...tired of the samsonite soft pack...too hard to tie everything down...click here to see the image

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am thinking about buying a Thule gear box. The factory roof racks on my 2002 are slightly curved and the salesperson told me I neede to purchase a Thule rack. Does anyone have experience putting one of these on the factory racks? And, did you do anything special to protect the finish of the rack? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How about the gear box that attach to your hitch. I like that kind because no need to climb to access the gear box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had no problem having mine installed on the racks that came with my 2002. They installed it in less than 5 minutes - I went to a reputable auto parts store vs. a GI Joes, etc. I actually still have mine on and can't tell its there (no sliding, bumping, etc.) Good luck!

Also, I also looked into the rear boxes, however we pull a tent trailer quite often to go camping or to the ocean, therefore with the car loaded with 5 kids we need to put all of our stuff on top!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts